No interest in my boat for sale.

Bon

Featured Posts

Hi,

Had my boat up for sale for a few weeks now but have had no interest whatsoever. Only got her on Apollo duck atm as funds are incredibly tight.

I'd rather not take her to a broker as that would entail going to live with my Mom *shudder*. I'm also trying to keep hold of my mooring so she doesn't get seen out on the cut very often. (another reason i'm selling her, i want something a bit smaller so i'll be more confident solo.)

My apollo duck add

Oh, also have her on my own website, click on my sig.

Any suggestions? Is she just too expensive? Should i just splash out on ebay? Or is there anything better out there i don't know about?

Thanks

Bon

Off the top of my head, I'd say put more photos on-line. When I was browsing Apollo Duck I would immediate dismiss any ad that only had the one photo.

Absolutely!

Being blunt, (but you do want to sell the boat), the one picture that is there tells me more about your sofa than your boat.

Almost no boaty detail is included, and if I can't quickly see what the outside looks like, I will move on to the next ad, as Chris says.

Many brokers produce maybe 10 good quality photos, and a plan, and whilst Apollo Duck might limit a bit what you can do, you really do have to go quite a lot further to compete with other things on the market.

This isn't a cheap boat, and I'd say people expect to see what they need to see, without having to email you for more pcs.

A bit "blunter" than I intended, but please take it in the spirit that I'm trying to help. :lol:

Good luck with it, though.

I agree with Chris. Also I like the adverts that have layout plans. I spend a lot of time browsing boats online at the moment, and tend not to shortlist the ones with less photos. Not everyone can be bothered to search for photos elsewhere. It looks to be a lovely boat, I wish I wasn't looking for something shorter, and on a strict budget! Good luck with it.

Lemon

Got to agree with the above comment, at £52k you will have to 'sell' her, there arn't that many buyers about and anything you can do to promote your boats sale should be done straight away, 'faint heart never won fair lady'

Good luck

Paul

Bonnie, at the moment it takes time. I've recently been involved in the sale of a narrowboat in my village; it has now sold but it took five months. I think that, as Chris suggests, more pictures are essential - particularly an exterior shot. If you portray only the inside, many people will think, "What's wrong with the hull or paintwork?" As the boat is from a very reputable builder, you should have nothing to hide.

Why would you have to move out of the boat if you put its sale in the hands of a broker? Some brokers will sell boats from their home moorings: Andy Burnett's did this for our last boat, and the first person to come and see it bought it! They're near you too, at Crick Wharf.

As for the price, seems a little high, but that gives you room for manoeuvre. If you price it too low, you can't then raise the price. Once again, a broker such as AB will advise.

Heehee, Blunt is good and i take no offence at all!

Ok then, i'll bite the bullet and add the rest of the pics i have to apollo duck.

Is there any nice free programs out there that i can do a layout plan with? Or will a photo of a scale drawing work? I can make it look pretty! hehe.

Bon

Crikey, speedy replies!

Got to agree with the above comment, at £52k you will have to 'sell' her, there arn't that many buyers about and anything you can do to promote your boats sale should be done straight away, 'faint heart never won fair lady'

Good luck

Paul

What about winning a dishy bloke??? :lol:

Bonnie, at the moment it takes time. I've recently been involved in the sale of a narrowboat in my village; it has now sold but it took five months. I think that, as Chris suggests, more pictures are essential - particularly an exterior shot. If you portray only the inside, many people will think, "What's wrong with the hull or paintwork?" As the boat is from a very reputable builder, you should have nothing to hide.

Why would you have to move out of the boat if you put its sale in the hands of a broker? Some brokers will sell boats from their home moorings: Andy Burnett's did this for our last boat, and the first person to come and see it bought it! They're near you too, at Crick Wharf.

As for the price, seems a little high, but that gives you room for manoeuvre. If you price it too low, you can't then raise the price. Once again, a broker such as AB will advise.

The trouble with brokering from here is my marina want 4% for doing nothing. Then to put a brokerage fee on top of that and i'll be losing far more money than i want too....upto 10%! That just seems like throwing money at people. (i think i'm in the wrong buisiness!)

Was thinking of using the lady i brought the boat from in the first place, she finds boats for people, rather than selling boats to people. She is 2.5% which still puts me upto 6.5%. What do you think of that idea? At least she likes the boat as she lived on it for 5 years! lol

Bon

If you are selling just to get a smaller boat perhaps you could keep this one, get a little 'on boat' training and that should help boost your confidence alot, i've not found smaller boats that much easier to handle, if anything, smaller lighter boats need more concentration.

Good luck anyway

Paul

ps I've a friend looking for a boat in your price range, he has looked at many, many boats, but is still amazed at the lack of care the sellers take in presenting their boats to prospective purchasers. That's worth bearing in mind when you start to get 'visitors'. In his mind he is struggling to understand why people won't make the effort when its £50K+ they are asking. He is really impressed with ABNB as a broker so it may be worth taking a look at their sales 'bumff' and perhaps pinch a few ideas.

We preferred the Boats And Outboards website when we were boat hunting, as there were ususally more photos and a good search facility. Try advertising on there too.

And as the peeps here say, put more photos up - one of each cabin and at least one of the exterior of the boat. Galley & bathroom photos are what I particularly looked for.

Hi,

Had my boat up for sale for a few weeks now but have had no interest whatsoever. Only got her on Apollo duck atm as funds are incredibly tight.

Any suggestions? Is she just too expensive? Should i just splash out on ebay? Or is there anything better out there i don't know about?

Thanks

Bon

I agree with the points already made. As many photos and detail as you can muster will help. If your boat is as well presented externally as it looks internally then you have a good chance. If you get enough photos you will not necessarily need a layout of the boat as buyers will be able to sus out the layout from the photos.

The price seems something like but could always try a private ad in one of the narrowboat magazines rather than the broker route.

I would be careful with ebay. I have done over 100 transactions on ebay to date but are currently in dispute due to dealings with a "rogue" Paypal are supporting my dispute fortunately.

Also, I think I spotted a cat pole or something like it in the photo. If so that would immediately rule out some prospective buyers just as it does with houses.

If you are selling just to get a smaller boat perhaps you could keep this one, get a little 'on boat' training and that should help boost your confidence alot, i've not found smaller boats that much easier to handle, if anything, smaller lighter boats need more concentration.

Good luck anyway

Paul

ps I've a friend looking for a boat in your price range, he has looked at many, many boats, but is still amazed at the lack of care the sellers take in presenting their boats to prospective purchasers. That's worth bearing in mind when you start to get 'visitors'. In his mind he is struggling to understand why people won't make the effort when its £50K+ they are asking. He is really impressed with ABNB as a broker so it may be worth taking a look at their sales 'bumff' and perhaps pinch a few ideas.

It's not just about the size i'm afraid, I have recently split from my man and am stuggling to make ends meet due to some horrible luck just before we decided to go our own way. It's also a new start for me, something that's just mine.

I've been depersonalising and cleaning since i decided to sell. I'll even hide my knickers. :lol:

I'll check ABNB out, i must admit i did like them when i was looking, but ended up buying mine from an ad just like mine.

pst... send your frined my way :lol:

Apollo Duck is a starting point, but there's also Boats and Outboards, eBay, moveyourboat... how about putting it on more (free!) websites?

Boats and Outboards has a fee, and i didn't like it as a site myself, i'll look again and see about popping it on there. Ebay has a fee too but again, i'll just bite the bullet. Never heard of moveyourboat....checking it now!

Thanks again for your input. Getting me moving to get this done!

Bon

I agree with the points already made. As many photos and detail as you can muster will help. If your boat is as well presented externally as it looks internally then you have a good chance. If you get enough photos you will not necessarily need a layout of the boat as buyers will be able to sus out the layout from the photos.

The price seems something like but could always try a private ad in one of the narrowboat magazines rather than the broker route.

I would be careful with ebay. I have done over 100 transactions on ebay to date but are currently in dispute due to dealings with a "rogue" Paypal are supporting my dispute fortunately.

Also, I think I spotted a cat pole or something like it in the photo. If so that would immediately rule out some prospective buyers just as it does with houses.

Was thinking just a classified ad on ebay.

Oh, never thought of the cat post, i'll take some more piccies when i get a chance.

Your main photo shot should be external, then other shots of the interior. The description is good, but if you are scanning as many sites and boats as I did early last year, you need visual info first. My boat I eventually bought through ABNB was moored at Ventnor Farm, not Crick.

Firstly your boat and website are lovely.

I am keen that this doesn't sound harsh but I believe the key reason most would walk away from this is the lack of fixed double without some form of conversion. I looked at it both from a 'private' and 'hire' perspective and a bed settee is a turn off. I appreciate you mentioned funds were tight but to realise maximum potential would it be worth having the double conversion done and then putting in a dining table/chairs and the ubiquitous captains swivels and hey presto a perfectly marketable boat for the discerning couple retiring onto the cut.

Wow - after reading that, why don't I become a boat broker ?

Your ad also doesn't mention how the boat is heated.

I am keen that this doesn't sound harsh but I believe the key reason most would walk away from this is the lack of fixed double without some form of conversion. I looked at it both from a 'private' and 'hire' perspective and a bed settee is a turn off. I appreciate you mentioned funds were tight but to realise maximum potential would it be worth having the double conversion done and then putting in a dining table/chairs and the ubiquitous captains swivels and hey presto a perfectly marketable boat for the discerning couple retiring onto the cut.

Wow - after reading that, why don't I become a boat broker ?

Your ad also doesn't mention how the boat is heated.

I would love to do a conversion, but if i could afford it, i'd not have to sell her. When i had her valued i did mention it to them, they said that yes, it might make it stay on the market for longer....but there are alot more families out there wanting boats than there used to be, making a childrens room not a bad thing to have..... why is it always all about money :lol:

*hopes for a lottery win*....oh wait, i actually have to buy a ticket for that to happen! :lol:

It does look like a nice boat but I think many buyers are wary of Apollo Duck ads.

I sold my boat through Dominic at Rugby Boats who posts on here regularly, and I then bought through him. The boat I sold was on a private mooring in Derbyshire; the one I bought was in Gloucestershire. He gave really good and fair descriptions of them both and his marketing was honest and of first rate quality. He told me that the majority of boats he sells are never based in at his place in Rugby.

Oh, and thanks for the nice comment, i did the website myself....and not being particulaly geeky i'm everso proud!

I agree with the lack of pictures - if there is no picture of the outside of the boat I don't linger. Having looked at your website though i do agree its a lovely boat but at nearly 10 years old its a bit pricey??

This is one of my main worries, i don't want to overprice, but i really dont want to underprice either. As Athy says, this price leaves quite a bit of negotiation power.

I'm really rubbish at decisions!!!!

Im a strong independant woman, i'm a strong independant woman........if i keep saying it, it'll come true....surely! :lol:

Bon

Is there any nice free programs out there that i can do a layout plan with? Or will a photo of a scale drawing work? I can make it look pretty! hehe.

Bon, there is a free boat planner available on the Waterways World website:

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/design/

I haven't tried it myself but should be well worth your while checking it out.

I agree with those who like to see a plan of a boat!

And good luck with the boat sale.

Stewey

Sorry to be blunt but this seems to me a little like 'act in haste, repent at leisure'. Could you not try and find a way of hanging on to it till you can sort yourself out as it is a v. nice boat - rent it out for a while or find a decent bloke to share it with(................................. oh no they are all spoken for) as you come across as such a nice person it won't be hard :lol:

£50,000 for a boat is a large investment, there are not many places it sits in the market. For people looking for a liveaboard it's up at the top, for a leisure boater there are lots of boats around that range and if you can afford £50,000 for your leisure you can probably afford a few £1,000s more and have a boat built.

So, you must be patient. If your boat is worth that, and it looks like it at first glance, then resist the impulse to sell it cheap - you'll only get one chance to sell it. There will quite a few predatory buyers out there who will look for the weakness of 'must sell' and pressure you to take a lot less.

You don't say how many weeks but my advice is to settle in for the long haul and as some have said, you may get to think it's not so bad after all.

Around here boats of about your value can hang around for months but eventually someone will come along and fall in love with it and you won't have to reduce very much if at all. The cost to you of dropping the price may well outway the cost of waiting, after all to make a real difference it's going to have to come down to £40,000 and £10,000 is worth a bit of a wait.

I think the pictures and description give a very good impression of what it's like to live in but an outside picture or two on a sunny day will help enormously.

Oooch, it's a beautiful boat... if I could only persuade James that we don't need a widebeam.dutch barge I'd be seriously interested... maybe I'll leave him and sail off on my own with the kids lol! Naa, I couldn't!

I do agree that more pics are the order of the day, but as for the layout I wouldn't worry, we're figuring that that's what we're going to do, 2 cabins, one each for the kids, then we'll convert the dinette at night for us... if nothing else it'll stop me stacking crap on the dining table!

Best of luck

Kate xx

Oh, and thanks for the nice comment, i did the website myself....and not being particulaly geeky i'm everso proud!

This is one of my main worries, i don't want to overprice, but i really dont want to underprice either. As Athy says, this price leaves quite a bit of negotiation power.

I'm really rubbish at decisions!!!!

Im a strong independant woman, i'm a strong independant woman........if i keep saying it, it'll come true....surely! :lol:

Bon

I am over your way in a couple of weeks, well Braunston actually, but I take photos professionally and would be willing to bring my gear (Tripod etc.) over and take some photos of your boat for you if you wish. It'll cost you a coffee, but the offers there. Of course the photo you have already taken inside the boat suggests that you can take good photos if you want to, so maybe you are okay anyway.

Regards Chris.

Edited by Steamerpoint

It really surprises me that you've had no interest at all. It's a lovely boat, although I think the price is a little on the high side (Sure loads of people will disagree). I have spent the last year looking at so many boats and have now bought.

As everyone has said, the one photo is not great. In a difficult market, you really have to work to sell anything. You obviously have great creativity (the stained glass is lovely!!) so use that to do a layout plan and more photos!