Traditional side cloths

boatboss

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone knows who makes side cloths for a working narrowboat hold

On Fulbourne we had always used black canvas from which we tended to get about 5 years useful life.

The last time we went to replace them we could not find anyone supplying black canvas for love nor money although I believe that you can still get green ones.

In the end we went down the synthetic route and used a material called Regentex. We got it made up by a black country firm call DH load Controls, details here

I believe that Kildare has cloths made from the same material, bothboats should be at the Braunston event if you want to check out the material.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone knows who makes side cloths for a working narrowboat hold

It depends what you want, if you are happy with PVC - We had a set made up by a tarpaulin manufacturer in Liverpool which are excellent. All 'welded' (no stitching), We had some very peculiar requirements as the set i wanted are not fully traditional but covering an under cloth conversion. The job was perfect in extremely heavy gauge material and about half the cost of quotes for other welded sets, the cost reduction was in part if i was happy to wait until they fitted the job in, which they did within two weeks!

The company was:

Del Tarpaulins Ltd

- www.aandjbennett-tarpaulins.co.uk

Unit 39, Seymour St, Millers Bridge Ind Est, Bootle - +44 151 922 9461

I used a company in Glasgow (will have to dig the details out) and spoke to a very helpful chap called George. Sent him a fax of my measurements and where I wanted the eylets. Made and delivered (free of charge!) within the week! I had black Regentex 12 which seems to be wearing well. They have done three years now.

Regards,

Edited by Hyperion 53

• 2 weeks later...
We have alwy used:-

Tarpaulin Supply & Repair Co. Ltd.

51 Tyburn Road

Birmingham

B24 8NP

West Midlands

Tel: 0121 3272110

Thanks everyone for the replies they were very useful

boatboss