have you ever had one of those heart stopping moments

AKULA

Featured Posts

Yes, of course this wasn't your first post to the forum was it.

You dont get many S23's on the canal system. (However anyone on the upper trent and soar this week should look out for the second one in as many weeks).

And on our travels thus far we have yet to find a NB that would make us stray from GRP.

And on our travels thus far we have yet to find a NB that would make us stray from GRP.

Amen to that!

(At least we know we are safe on the narrow bits, at the moment!.....)

Maybe we should just make Dave and Phylis swap boats for a week, and see who dies of anger first! :lol:

Thats an unfair swap. He could kill mine before getting it out of the marina. Full throttle into the restaraunt opposite would see to that. :lol:

all this talk and mic taking of GRP boats on this forum is quite anoying really.

having just bought a grp boat, i was expecting to get some crap from fellow boaters. but reading things on here things are said without any regard as to why people have such boats, or things are said that make it sound that they have less of a right to be on the waterways?

No prejudice against GRP but since one member joined its as if they've taken over the world and its annoying to the point where everything becomes contentious. Instance, approaching a bridge on a bend in a 20 ton 66' NB a collision occurs with a GRP because the GRP tries to beat the gap. Verdict as to who is to blame from the contributee? The engine in the NB is too FECKING SMALL !!!

Maybe we should just make Dave and Phylis swap boats for a week, and see who dies of anger first! :lol:

I can't see anybody being prepared to pay the insurance hike on dave's boat, though.

No prejudice against GRP but since one member joined its as if they've taken over the world and its annoying to the point where everything becomes contentious. Instance, approaching a bridge on a bend in a 20 ton 66' NB a collision occurs with a GRP because the GRP tries to beat the gap. Verdict as to who is to blame from the contributee? The engine in the NB is too FECKING SMALL !!!

If the engine can not stop the boat it is too small. The owner admitted it was underpowered. Whats contentious about that?

The only contentious thing on here is your bl**dy spelling.

If I'm boating down the cut one way, about to pass a boat coming the other, and they decide to dive in front of my stem just as we are about to pass, no narrowboat engine in the world will prevent me ramming them, even if I engage full reverse immediately.

Just because you can force a situation where another boat is unable to stop, does not make that other boat underpowered.

It just makes the person who forced the situation an idiot.

If the engine can not stop the boat it is too small. The owner admitted it was underpowered. Whats contentious about that?

The only contentious thing on here is your bl**dy spelling.

The preferred spelling in this instance would be "cannot" stop the boat

If I'm boating down the cut one way, about to pass a boat coming the other, and they decide to dive in front of my stem just as we are about to pass, no narrowboat engine in the world will prevent me ramming them, even if I engage full reverse immediately.

Just because you can force a situation where another boat is unable to stop, does not make that other boat underpowered.

It just makes the person who forced the situation an idiot.

If you look at the post by the offender again, the "noddy" boat (in his words) got through the bridge first. Now in everybody else "rules", its whoever gets there first that has right of way.

Im not saying they can should stop on a penny, but if the owner is aware of their lack of power this situation shouldnt have happened. They should have been aware of a bridge ahead and slowed accordingly before reaching it. How did they know another NB wasnt coming the other way.

If you look at the post by the offender again, the "noddy" boat (in his words) got through the bridge first. Now in everybody else "rules", its whoever gets there first that has right of way.

Im not saying they can should stop on a penny, but if the owner is aware of their lack of power this situation shouldnt have happened. They should have been aware of a bridge ahead and slowed accordingly before reaching it. How did they know another NB wasnt coming the other way.

Here we go again! Its all about the closing speed relative to the bridge, two NBs approaching the bridge SLOWLY no problem and no avoiding action required. One boat approaching too quickly collision unavoidable if the momentum of the other vessel is too great. In words that even you can understand it takes two miles to stop a supertanker from its cruising speed and its engine HP is designed for optimum performance. If it was solely designed for avoiding collisions with snooty GRP owners the engine would probably be four times as large to facilitate stopping on a sixpence! just as you expect a NB to do.

Here we go again! Its all about the closing speed relative to the bridge, two NBs approaching the bridge SLOWLY no problem and no avoiding action required. One boat approaching too quickly collision unavoidable if the momentum of the other vessel is too great. In words that even you can understand it takes two miles to stop a supertanker from its cruising speed and its engine HP is designed for optimum performance. If it was solely designed for avoiding collisions with snooty GRP owners the engine would probably be four times as large to facilitate stopping on a sixpence! just as you expect a NB to do.

Reading lessons may be appropriate..........................

Not heart stopping but fascinating as seen from our overnight mooring before they went bust...

A slow passing Canaltime comes by then speeds up to about 3mph. A very fast passing Challenger share comes past catching the Canaltime very quick. The Challenger makes no effort to ask but moves out on the LHS to overtake the Canaltime at a narrow bit of canal. At this stage we reckoned the Canaltime realised the Challenger was there.

Due to the narrowness and shallowness of the canal the Challenger cannot get beyond half way up the side of the Canaltime as they slew across the canal. Finally they get apart with Challenger back behind and 50 yards later the Challenger turns right (!) into his Marina for change over. Talk about motorway mania.

And, before you ask, we asked the new crew of the same Challenger next day when they were due back and their answer implied the chap the day before was heading in early. Bloody boats getting in the way and telling us to slow down etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had on a while ago on the K&A near Dundas, Hire canoe with a teenage crew came shooting past then came to a dead stop in front of my bow.

I hit them and took the canoe under the prow. I did kill the motor as i didnt want limb's fouling my prop.

I did sink a sea cadet ASC once with a fleet tender, does that count?? :lol:

I'm coming upto 64 years of age and I live on a GRP cruiser and I have just discovered that I am SNOOTY!

Oh yes!

I was at the tiller of NB Alnwick - I had managed to convince Graham that I was a competant steerer (bet he won't be so gullible again) Graham and Jane were enjoying a glass of wine on the tug deck as I negotiated a really easy bend on a very wide bit of canal right by Merry Hill.

I will never forget the look on Grahams face when realisation dawned that we were heading in a dead straight line for the bridge (yes we were ploughing the bottom!) and if the truth be known realisation had dawned on me just a few seconds earlier that I was no longer in full control of the situation.

Thankfully the mud bank we ended up stuck on (at a rather intersting angle) was far less damaging than the very solid looking bridge would have been. The mud acted just as a gravel trap does on a race curcuit a dn while it took us a while to get off it no damage was done - that is if you do not count the severe knock my pride took that day - amazingly Graham is still speaking to me!

Oh yes!

I was at the tiller of NB Alnwick - I had managed to convince Graham that I was a competant steerer (bet he won't be so gullible again) Graham and Jane were enjoying a glass of wine on the tug deck as I negotiated a really easy bend on a very wide bit of canal right by Merry Hill.

I will never forget the look on Grahams face when realisation dawned that we were heading in a dead straight line for the bridge (yes we were ploughing the bottom!) and if the truth be known realisation had dawned on me just a few seconds earlier that I was no longer in full control of the situation.

Thankfully the mud bank we ended up stuck on (at a rather intersting angle) was far less damaging than the very solid looking bridge would have been. The mud acted just as a gravel trap does on a race curcuit a dn while it took us a while to get off it no damage was done - that is if you do not count the severe knock my pride took that day - amazingly Graham is still speaking to me!

Does Alnwick set out to catch every new unwary steerer? She and Kelvin conspired against me.

Richard