NB Astraea

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have recently bought a replica small woolwich built in 1992 by Roger Fuller called Eclipse. While the name Eclipse "fits" with the star class boats of the time purchased by the GUCCC I'm wondering wether to change it to one of the actual names used by the GUCCC, in particular to the name ASTRAEA which I understand was broken up in the 1980's and therefore no longer exists.

I would first of all like to get your opinions on if renaming the boat to one of the actual names used would be considered ok or would we be making a huge gaff! Secondly, assuming I'm not shot down in flames for even considering renaming the boat does anyone have any information/pics of the original NB Astraea. I've searched the 'net far and wide but haven't really turned anything up. In fact some of the GUCCC fleet lists I've found don't even list Astraea.

Any help/opinions/suggestions of places to look etc. greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

I have recently bought a replica small woolwich built in 1992 by Roger Fuller called Eclipse. While the name Eclipse "fits" with the star class boats of the time purchased by the GUCCC I'm wondering wether to change it to one of the actual names used by the GUCCC, in particular to the name ASTRAEA which I understand was broken up in the 1980's and therefore no longer exists.

I would first of all like to get your opinions on if renaming the boat to one of the actual names used would be considered ok or would we be making a huge gaff! Secondly, assuming I'm not shot down in flames for even considering renaming the boat does anyone have any information/pics of the original NB Astraea. I've searched the 'net far and wide but haven't really turned anything up. In fact some of the GUCCC fleet lists I've found don't even list Astraea.

Cheers

Steve

Entirely your choice but I would not take the actual name off a genuine working boat and put it on a copy. I don't even like copies painted up to look genuine with a "suitable" name, but that's my personal preference.

George ex nb Alton retired

Welcome to the madhouse.

I wouldn't think it a huge gaff, and of course you can call it what you like, but as it's a copy of a Star class and as Astraea is known to have been cut up (pictures in a forum thread somewhere), it's a bit like stepping on someone's grave in a Churchyard with a family member present. I'd be inclined not to. Though having said that, it's a nice enough name to want to.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

Tam Murrell posted some pictures of boats that were torched by BW at (I think) Bulls Bridge, and I feel sure that included the butty Astraea.

You can of course do what you like with your own boat, but personally I'd not rename it after one of the genuine "stars", either living, or extinct. Anyway, unless you have a butty, it seems a bit odd to give it a butty name, (to me!).

I see no reason why not to rename your boat, if you like ASTRAEA then name it that, I think its a great name. My boat shares the name of a star class but does not proport to look anything like the original. I just liked the name

Charles

In a way this is an easy question... ofcourse you can do what you like. No one has the right to tell you not to name your boat in a particluar thing, although if you called it coca cola ofcourse you may have problems as it's a registered trade mark.

The thing is - are you trying to mimic a working boat? Or do you want to say ok, this is a new boat? I have to say some of the replicas I've seen recently are very good with some wonderful people on. But I do prefer originality over trying to copy something else for the sake of it.

Tafs new paint job for instance is not going to try and emulate a working boat at all, there's no point, it's not a working boat and Taf is famous in her own right for having a pink lister engine (although its now green) and the invention of the term "You've done a tafelberg". Perhaps its time for us to create history based on our boating traditions rather than keep trying to live in it.

It's like traditional painting. I paint how I was taught. Because I love that. But there are some painters who paint differently, thats fine and it's their choice. - Create History.

To summarise this confused ramble. Sure, name your boat the same as an old boat, that's you're right and in fact it may be a brilliant way of remembering the old girl. (like a tribute band). Or perhaps make history with your new boat!

BTW Congrats on your boat!

Hi all,

Cheers

Steve

Clearly, as already expressed by several people here you can call your boat whatever you like but if you change the name you will have to get used to people asking whether it used to be ECLIPSE.

Several former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. names have already been re-used on modern boats, both intentionally and un-intentionally. ASTRAEA is a name that has not been re-used to my knowledge, or at least not post 1980 when British Waterways Board started keeping computerised records. My personal preferance, and one that would keep things easier for historians / enthusiasts is if your steel hulled boat took on the name of a broken up wooden hulled boat.

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions. While I appreciate we are free to name the boat whatever we want, the last thing we want to do is offend anyones sensibilities so we very much appreciate all the comments.

I think on reflection we are more comfortable leaving the name as is rather than renaming it. After all it is a replica "generic" small woolwich and is not meant to be an exact copy of any particular boat - just a nod to historic narrowboats in general.

Cheers for now

Steve

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions. While I appreciate we are free to name the boat whatever we want, the last thing we want to do is offend anyones sensibilities so we very much appreciate all the comments.

You wouldn't offend anyone (I don't think) but you might get fed up of lectures from rivet counters (like me).

I think on reflection we are more comfortable leaving the name as is rather than renaming it. After all it is a replica "generic" small woolwich and is not meant to be an exact copy of any particular boat - just a nod to historic narrowboats in general.

Cheers for now

Steve

Saw 'Eclipse' on Saturday. Looks very tidy. Congrats. Enjoy it now.