Smallest inverter to run washing machine?

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

Now that we have our new daughter Lorelie, we're going to need to run the washing machine more. At the moment we run it off a 2200w petrol genny, but it is just a cheapy one and, although it has lasted four years so far (not bad for £99), it is time for a change. It is too noisy to run often - an hour once a week is ok, but any more than that makes me feel guilty about ruining the peace. However, I'm on a VERY tight budget, so I'm looking for the most cost effective way of doing this. Silent genny's are very expensive, but I have seen 1500w pure sine inverters around for about £300. We only ever do cold washes, so it shouldn't need too much power anyway. What do you think is the smallest inverter we can get away with? Anybody got any practical experience of running washing machines off little inverters?

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I hope to catch up with you soon.

I know that Rich the fender boat runs his washing machine off the inverter. However he has the engine running as well to top up the batteries as he goes.

Tim

Hi Tom

Sorry washing machine on inverter does not compute, because even if the battery bank and inverter were big enough, you would still have to put back in the batteries 150% of what you have taken out.

The only way to do that (without land-line) is run the engine or standalone generator/charger for many many hours, so you will be running them anyway but probably for a lot longer.

Edited by bottle

I have 4 115ah batteries and a 3KW pure sine wave inverter which will quite happily run my washing machine/condensing dryer for 2 full cycles.The peak load is around 180amps when the immersion heats the water which takes 15-20 mins,if you just cold wash I would expect a 1500watt inverter to do the job easily.

I have 4 115ah batteries and a 3KW pure sine wave inverter which will quite happily run my washing machine/condensing dryer for 2 full cycles.The peak load is around 180amps when the immersion heats the water which takes 15-20 mins,if you just cold wash I would expect a 1500watt inverter to do the job easily.

Can I ask what make/model washer dryer that is? Most of the ones that I've seen have a (quoted) much higher power consumption than 3Kw on the drying cycle. Cheers.

I think we're going to get one of these twin-tubs. It looks perfect for on the boat (only takes 350w power and much less water than a regular machine). Plus it's not as deep as an automatic, so we can put it in the bathroom and then have a big cupboard in the kitchen where our machine is at the moment. It sounds perfect. Plus it takes so little power that we should be able to run it off just the solar panels' charge on sunny days.

Anybody got any experience with this machine?

You mst be removing the clothes still wet or putting one sock in and considering that a full load.

I checked the consumption of our condensing washer/dryer and got figures varying between 1.6kWhrs and 2.5kWhrs per load.

These figures are backed up by...........

http://www.sust-it.net/energy_saving.php?id=41

Taking a guess at the duty ratio and actual power and taking Peukert's effect into account I reckon a 460Ahr battery bank will do about 0.6 loads (including drying) until 50% discharged.

Gibbo

Can I ask what make/model washer dryer that is? Most of the ones that I've seen have a (quoted) much higher power consumption than 3Kw on the drying cycle. Cheers.

Are we getting our kW and our kWhrs mixed?

Its an Ariston machine,and sorry I'm not clever enough to work out all the facts and figures to tell me whether it works or not I just put my faith in a boatbuilder who has been building for 20 years.

They said the Titanic was unsinkable......in theory!

Its an Ariston machine,and sorry I'm not clever enough to work out all the facts and figures to tell me whether it works or not I just put my faith in a boatbuilder who has been building for 20 years.

They said the Titanic was unsinkable......in theory!

Have you considered talking to your boatbuilder about installing a second 240v AC alternator. I do not know if all engines have the facility to instal one, but that is what my friends had on their boat to run their washing machine. Their engine was a 1.8? Kubota based Beta (I think).

I am sure that Gibbo or Sir Snibble can advise you if you decide to pursue that approach.

Edited by David Schweizer

Probably, but I can't find anywhere that quotes peak Kw usage. And who's "we"?

It was the 'royal' we, did not want to make accusations. :lol:

Any machinery or appliance used in the 'domestic' situation, can only have a maximum load of 3kW, when connected to a 'standard' 3 pin domestic socket.

240v*13a = 3,120 watts. (before the pedants jump in I know this is not accurate but as guide is good enough :lol: )

Consumption is the amount of power (w) used over a length of time (hrs)

I now jump off, before I'm pushed. :lol:

I think we're going to get one of these twin-tubs. It looks perfect for on the boat (only takes 350w power and much less water than a regular machine). Plus it's not as deep as an automatic, so we can put it in the bathroom and then have a big cupboard in the kitchen where our machine is at the moment. It sounds perfect. Plus it takes so little power that we should be able to run it off just the solar panels' charge on sunny days.

Anybody got any experience with this machine?

We have that exact same one in our caravan.

For one load I would say it uses the same water as a single tub but you can do a full weeks worth in the same wash water saving water & detergent. Ours runs off our 3kw inverter (no suprise there) or our genny (again no suprise). I would not say its any smaller than a normal washer, its deff longer & taller but a little slimmer. The drain hose is very poor quality & soon split. Will be changing it for a better one soon. The fill hose is a waste of time. Use a proper hose or like us a bucket.

OH says its harder work to do the wash but you do more in less time with less water & detergents. Oh & its light enough to move about single handed.

Justme

Edited by Justme

You mst be removing the clothes still wet or putting one sock in and considering that a full load.

I checked the consumption of our condensing washer/dryer and got figures varying between 1.6kWhrs and 2.5kWhrs per load.

These figures are backed up by...........

http://www.sust-it.net/energy_saving.php?id=41

Taking a guess at the duty ratio and actual power and taking Peukert's effect into account I reckon a 460Ahr battery bank will do about 0.6 loads (including drying) until 50% discharged.

Gibbo

Not that Gibbo needs my endorsement, but I agree with his Peukert adjusted figures too. The only difference was that I made a full load equivalent to one sock AND a handkerchief!!

Chris

Why would I want to spend £2500 fitting a 240V alternator on my engine when I have a perfectly good system now?

£2500 buys alot of batteries.

Yes, I think in part that was his point. If Gibbo & Chris' calculations are to be believed (which they always are), it's not a perfectly good system and you are knackering your batteries, so you may end up spending that sum sooner than you think.

Mind you if it were me I'd spend about £800 on a Honda EU20i, not have to run the engine and then run a 50amp battery charger for a few hours from the generator when the wash cycle had finished.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, I think in part that was his point. If Gibbo & Chris' calculations are to be believed (which they always are), it's not a perfectly good system and you are knackering your batteries, so you may end up spending that sum sooner than you think.

Mind you if it were me I'd spend about £800 on a Honda EU20i, not have to run the engine and then run a 50amp battery charger for a few hours from the generator when the wash cycle had finished.

Or spend half that on a Kipor 2kw digi does the job just as well

We have one of those 3.5 kilo load Candy washing machines and a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter charger and as long as the engine is running it copes with it no problem.

Must admit we also have an Adverc battery management system fitted, with 2x90amp alternators so a lot of amps being generated whilst running.

But only for half as long :lol:

Actually there have been lots of threads about Kippers with some users complaining they didn't produce a decent sinewave.

Just trying to answer tomandsophies question.

As we all are.

Not that Gibbo needs my endorsement, but I agree with his Peukert adjusted figures too. The only difference was that I made a full load equivalent to one sock AND a handkerchief!!

Chris

You boys are so naughty, but it makes me laugh, as we have to get a washing machine too, and I hope to wash more then a sock and handkerchief

Mary 1

You boys are so naughty, but it makes me laugh, as we have to get a washing machine too, and I hope to wash more then a sock and handkerchief

Mary 1

I assume a "twin" tub means you can wash two socks at once. What will they think of next?

Chris

:lol: U beat me to it........not that thats hard nowadays......I know many people with them they r quiet and now less than 300 quid

One thing to add - I think we're going to buy a Harris full-size (6.8kg) twin-tub machine. Does anybody know if it will run on an 1800w modified-sine inverter? I don't see why not, as the motor is 360w, there's no heating element, and there are no complicated computery thingies.