Smallest inverter to run washing machine?

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

One thing to add - I think we're going to buy a Harris full-size (6.8kg) twin-tub machine. Does anybody know if it will run on an 1800w modified-sine inverter? I don't see why not, as the motor is 360w, there's no heating element, and there are no complicated computery thingies.

Should run fine. It's only powering a motor not fuzzy logic!

One thing to add - I think we're going to buy a Harris full-size (6.8kg) twin-tub machine. Does anybody know if it will run on an 1800w modified-sine inverter? I don't see why not, as the motor is 360w, there's no heating element, and there are no complicated computery thingies.

We've now decided to go for this harris model you mention. We have already purchased a Hinari single tub but having discussed this with Lynn at length it really does make sense using a twin tub. Having a wide beam there's plenty of room for it. These wash really quickly and efficiently too, so no need to run the motors for too long either for washer or dryer, about ten minutes wash and 5 minutes spin on a meduim load. Drying would be a real pain without a good spin also.

It makes sense to wash with the engine running ideally when cruising, doing this ensures availability of hot water from the calorifier and of course power. We already have a 3kw inverter which would cope adequately, we were thinking of the 1.5 kilo portable twin tub, looks a nice little machine, but in reality when it comes to sheets duvets and towels this bigger Harris has to be the more sensible option for us. Looks good too :-)

Hmn, I'm probably going to get shot down, but why use 230v at all? An old twin tub, with the motor replaced by a 12v windscreen wiper motor, and the hot water running off your engine, webasto etc, would use a lot less power.

It's also easier to repair, and fits into that space between the shower and the hull.

This is surprisingly easy to do even with a modern washer though modern electronics are a pain, and it won't fit in the same space, though with a wide beam thats less critical.

I've noticed no difference in cleanliness, though I do end up with wet stuff on all the radiators, I'm planning to rectify this with a drying cabinet soon, though not this summer, maybe winter, but I hibernate then.

It's cheap but it's a bit fiddly, and you have to think about what model to buy, I don't know if the Harris motor runs on 12v, or a manageable DC voltage at all, but there are several older models that do, I've not looked at them myself as I don't need the same capacity, (I generally jump up and down on my clothes in the shower.)

Hi there

I had a similar problem and bought a Plug-in Power and Energy Monitor (about £15) to measure the washing machines power usage. It turns out that I can use my exisitng 1300 W invertor to power a 1600W washing machine although the nominal output of the invertor is occasionally exceeded (not a problem for limited periods of time - check the inverters nominal and maximum loads). I still run the engine when washing to save the batteries (usually when cruising) but after two years have had no problems.

Dave

Those cheap plug in meters dont react quick enough for the surges of use to show on the meter.

Justme

true but not really a problem in this case - the invertor has a max power of 3500VA for 5 sec, 2000 VA for 3 min and 1600 VA for 30 min. The washing machine is rated at 1600W.

Dave

Hmn, I'm probably going to get shot down, but why use 230v at all? An old twin tub, with the motor replaced by a 12v windscreen wiper motor, and the hot water running off your engine, webasto etc, would use a lot less power.

It's also easier to repair, and fits into that space between the shower and the hull.

This is surprisingly easy to do even with a modern washer though modern electronics are a pain, and it won't fit in the same space, though with a wide beam thats less critical.

I've noticed no difference in cleanliness, though I do end up with wet stuff on all the radiators, I'm planning to rectify this with a drying cabinet soon, though not this summer, maybe winter, but I hibernate then.

It's cheap but it's a bit fiddly, and you have to think about what model to buy, I don't know if the Harris motor runs on 12v, or a manageable DC voltage at all, but there are several older models that do, I've not looked at them myself as I don't need the same capacity, (I generally jump up and down on my clothes in the shower.)

Good point, in our case though a 3kw inverter is fitted and part of the plan for the boat, being wide beam also we have the space. What I do like about the twin tub is you have ultimate control over it unlike an automatic where the cycle you shoose is basically needed to be completed to get the wash required. With a twin you can wash as little or as much as you require, and run the machine for the least amount of time you consider good enough to complete a wash, so can run it quite efficiently in that sense.

An automatic on a full program could bo 40 minutes to and hour possibly and all that time using some power although at different levels. The twin tub in this respect I think would be a lot more efficient energy wise. you also have the option to soak washing prior to wash and use even less power if the soaking has done most of the cleaning. And soak for rinsing also which could save on water.

Many older people say twin tubs are better than automatics although a bit more hands on.

true but not really a problem in this case - the invertor has a max power of 3500VA for 5 sec, 2000 VA for 3 min and 1600 VA for 30 min. The washing machine is rated at 1600W.

Dave

Ah I was expecting the peek to be about 2.5kw for a second or so.

Oh also I note the spec is in va not watts.

Justme

I run my Candy Aquamatic T1000 off the inverter (1.6kw) when out cruising......as most will know these are very small machines and are probably the boat standard in many cases. The water heater in them draws a mere 0.8kw and they do not have an integral dryer, I also run a large bank of taller 6 volt batteries connected in series charged via twin 90amp alternators, but even so I don't run the washer when out without the engine running.