EBERSPACHER, WEBASTO, or KABOLA?

Biggles

Featured Posts

Hello

I gotta put some C/H in my NB for next winter.

So I have done some asking around and these 3 keep coming up EBERSPACHER, WEBASTO, or KABOLA?

I want to have radiators and a nice auto system just like gas at home.

So what's your thoughts?

Biggles

I'd read this first:

Webasto nightmare

Although that thread's about Webasto, the others seem to have the same problems too.

It seems that the problems do the rounds with the manufacturers in cycles - Webasto recently, Eberspacher previously as well as Alde - perhaps Webasto is currently good having just had a lot of less than good publicity and maybe tightened up any deficiencies that may have been lurking...

Nick

From what I've read on here re: diesel water heaters, it seems that the majority of problems are all linked to the use of red diesel. A seperate fuel tank seems to be the answer and if only using it to heat the water for early morning/late evening showers then a smallish tank about 22lts [outboard fuel tank] may suffice, but I'm not sure what would be required re: regulations for the siting, fixing and material of that tank. These types of heaters were designed for use in road vehicles therefore they run fine on white road diesel hence the need for a second tank.

For general boat heating in winter, solid fuel, possibly with a back boiler + rads, is certainly the most economic if not the most convenient.

I was looking at replacing a Mikuni mx40 which is crap, but most of the forced air heating systems seem to be no good for long term/liveaboard use, just remmeber none are designed to heat narrowboats, most are modified pre heaters designed for scandinavian countries to pre heat car engines, my insructions for my Mikuni tells

you how to install it in a car, theres nothing about boats.

They all coke up at some time, mine every 2-3 months.

Personally id go fro the Kabola, as its meant/desighned for boats and its drip feed/gravity, so you wont hear it all night long, mine sounds like a jet

engine when it starts up and due to it being drip feed it very low amps drain so very good for your battiers.

Hope my thoughts are good with you.

Kristian.

Depends a bit on your budget.

Personally (if I could afford it) it would be a Kabola pressure-jet which can be fully auto and linked to one or more room stats.

Drip-fed boilers are great but do require a bit of regular maintenance and (I think) use more fuel than the P-J.

Hello

So I have done some asking around and these 3 keep coming up EBERSPACHER, WEBASTO, or KABOLA?

So what's your thoughts?

Biggles

If you limit your choice to one of those three, go for KABOLA anytime, you only have to look through all the topics about heating problems to see how bad the other two are.

They do a drip-fed one which is very simple, and a pressure-yet one, which will cost you more, but will burn more economical and will keep your desired temp. by themostatic control.

Very much like a domestic setup, and house boilers rarely give problems.

I wish you a warm next winter in advance.

Cheers, Peter.

I have no experience of either. But, at the IWA show last year I was very impressed with the Hurricane system, which I think is from Canada. It is expensive, but I think well made and user servicable. This is unlike the others mentioned like Eversplutter and Deadasto which seem to need a diagnostic / electronic service kit.

But I may be wrong. (I usually am according to SWMBO)

K

I would say the Kabola is the nearest to a domestic boiler and the best for serious use, on the downside they are pricey to purchase, service and repair.

The other two if run on white diesel or Kerosene are much of a muchness the webasto being slightly easier to service from the DIY point of view.

We don't mention things from Canada anymore. :lol:

I would say the Kabola is the nearest to a domestic boiler and the best for serious use, on the downside they are pricey to purchase, service and repair.

The other two if run on white diesel or Kerosene are much of a muchness the webasto being slightly easier to service from the DIY point of view.

We don't mention things from Canada anymore. :lol:

Are you saying a Webasto on Kerosene ( assuming 28 second home heating oil) would be a good compromise then, Gary ?

I have got that impression from what others have said, reading between the lines, but it would help confirm my thoughts if you had seen improved results with Kerosene rather than Red, rather than trying to evaluate alone with a small sample of one !

Thanks,

Nick

Hello

So what's your thoughts?

BigglesI have got a webasto c top with radiators heated towel rail and finrad under the bed . absolutely love it swear by it ,rather than at it , and would not entertain anything else . especially since someone,(a guy called CHRIS i think) put a brilliant service thread on this forum.N ot that ive ever needed to do anything drastic to my system in 5 years. i live on FAULKNOR so the system gets used probably twice a day , but i do not use timers or thermostats to decide when the system starts and stops.i start it when i want, it run it at max temp and stop it when i want, also leave it running for at lease 30 to 40 minutes.I seriuosly doubt if it is possible to have any heating system as convenient and reliable as gas on a boat , unless of course you have gas. I would'nt care to speculate the cost of running such a system. BEST WISHES.

Are you saying a Webasto on Kerosene ( assuming 28 second home heating oil) would be a good compromise then, Gary ?

I have got that impression from what others have said, reading between the lines, but it would help confirm my thoughts if you had seen improved results with Kerosene rather than Red, rather than trying to evaluate alone with a small sample of one !

Thanks,

Nick

Most of our experiences were Eberspachers but while everyone was having nightmares running them on red we weren't having any problems at all running them on Kerosene a number of Webasto owners also started to run on it and too reported extended service intervals.

A lot of people knock the idea of running them on it because the say you can't get Kerosene anywhere, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in the North of England and it's cheaper than white or red.

In truth there isn't an ideal heater they all have some issues when used in the marine environment and more so if used on a residential environment.

Normal domestic central heating boilers would be far more reliable and effective but size and various regulations make them unpractical in most cases.

We fit a lot of Heritage Range Cookers and that is one way of getting a domestic system onto a boat while complying with the regulation but not everyone would want the cooker element or the expense involved.

HC2.jpg

Most of our experiences were Eberspachers but while everyone was having nightmares running them on red we weren't having any problems at all running them on Kerosene a number of Webasto owners also started to run on it and too reported extended service intervals.

A lot of people knock the idea of running them on it because the say you can't get Kerosene anywhere, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in the North of England and it's cheaper than white or red.

In truth there isn't an ideal heater they all have some issues when used in the marine environment and more so if used on a residential environment.

Normal domestic central heating boilers would be far more reliable and effective but size and various regulations make them unpractical in most cases.

We fit a lot of Heritage Range Cookers and that is one way of getting a domestic system onto a boat while complying with the regulation but not everyone would want the cooker element or the expense involved.

HC2.jpg

Thanks indeed for the info

Nick

:lol:

Thanks,

Nick

Is paraffin the same as Kerosene ???

Hi Guys

I know this is always a hot potato (cold on my boat). Thanks for the info and opinions so far, and well done for staying on topic so for.

I like the look of the Kabola and with a back boiler that would solve the problem. Can they be made to run in an automatic way like a domestic C/H system?

Cheers

Biggles

Is paraffin the same as Kerosene ???

In most cases yes, it used to be called paraffin in the UK and Kerosene in the UK.

Showing my age I can remember when you could get it delivered a few gallons at a time!

1960ad.jpg

It came in different colours depending where it came from.

This is a bit more up to date supplier-

http://www.caldo.co.uk/paraffin/index.htm

Hello

So what's your thoughts?

Biggles

How about Alde gas central heating?

a bit 'suicidal' on gas but if not used that much (for example as a secondary heating system on a boat with solid fuel stove as the main heat source) might be worth considering :lol:

Does the Kabola come as a 12v version? I've a feeling that they only came in 24v and 230v when I was looking for a boiler. Webastos and similar others can't be suitable for red diesel no matter what the manufacturers may say (don't know their current views on the subject) from what i've read on this forum. Mine runs on kerosene ( the guy who fitted it was very reluctant to connect it up to red diesel) and is ok so far but has been fitted for less than a year so can't comment on long term reliabililty. It's not my main heat source when i'm in, i've a solid fuel stove too, but it's good to be able to set it to come on when i'm not in or first thing in the morning (it also doubles as an alarm clock if your bed's at the same end of the boat! which can be a good or bad thing...)

Rick

Does the Kabola come as a 12v version? I've a feeling that they only came in 24v and 230v when I was looking for a boiler. Webastos and similar others can't be suitable for red diesel no matter what the manufacturers may say (don't know their current views on the subject) from what i've read on this forum. Mine runs on kerosene ( the guy who fitted it was very reluctant to connect it up to red diesel) and is ok so far but has been fitted for less than a year so can't comment on long term reliabililty. It's not my main heat source when i'm in, i've a solid fuel stove too, but it's good to be able to set it to come on when i'm not in or first thing in the morning (it also doubles as an alarm clock if your bed's at the same end of the boat! which can be a good or bad thing...)

Rick

No 24v and 230v only without things have changed.

Hello

So what's your thoughts?

Biggles

hi .we got a webasto running on heating oil since 06 had no props at all. bob.

I've only had my Kabola for one winter but I've got big house-size radiators in my aft cabin and bathroom, and then fin-rads in the forecabins. It does the trick nicely. Also runs off the thermostat & timer (set to before I get out of bed) and I use it more than the diesel stove. It is more expensive but I'd had a Mikuni and a Webasto before and had problems right from the get-go. I also think the Kabola is a lot quieter.

We were going to have fin-rads throughout but were advised to go bigger after we bought the Kabola as it kicks out so much. Fraid I'm not very technie so aside from being a happy & warm punter, I'm not much help!

I was looking at replacing a Mikuni mx40 which is crap, but most of the forced air heating systems seem to be no good for long term/liveaboard use, just remmeber none are designed to heat narrowboats, most are modified pre heaters designed for scandinavian countries to pre heat car engines, my insructions for my Mikuni tells

you how to install it in a car, theres nothing about boats.

They all coke up at some time, mine every 2-3 months.

Personally id go fro the Kabola, as its meant/desighned for boats and its drip feed/gravity, so you wont hear it all night long, mine sounds like a jet

engine when it starts up and due to it being drip feed it very low amps drain so very good for your battiers.

Hope my thoughts are good with you.

Kristian.

:lol: I have a mikuni mx60 on my liveaboard, it is used each morning early for hot water and maybe the rads if I feel a bit nesh. The real heating is by solid fuel squirrell. My Mikuni in the 2 years I have owned the boat has never been decoked and I have changed the glow plug twice only.it does trip on startup sometimes but is reset at the touch of the switch and goes ok next time. Masses of hot water very quickly. The hire fleet I work with all have ebers which r massively abused by hirers and again they seldom fail tho do need decoking every winter after the season.

I think because all these units are in continuous use and not just weekend stuff could be why they are of little problem, or could it be the way we fit them....?

I am certainly no expert but my mx60 is staying for sure.