Are we going to make more use of PMR446 radios this year ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

We use PMR446 radios on the boat and to locks etc - they are generally on whilst cruising. Ch 8 seems as good a choice as any but how do we spread the word (ok - on PMR446 Ch8!!).

I also have HF, VHF and UHF Amateur Radio. I have a full licence and my wife and younger daughter have intermediate licences which cost less than mobile phones for shop to boat comms.

Hi Robin,

Me too, ( all bands amateur) and both "kids" are also licensed but feel that PMR446 would be more appropriate for the canals, as available to everyone... I also listen to 2 / 70 calling channels when on the move - HF when moored

We tend to use the 446 radios though when locking as if one gets dropped in, its cheap compared to an amateur handset.

I will also be monitoring CH8 with no CTCSS enabled

So that's two.... could do with another ... couple of thousand ? :lol:

Nick

So, why do people want to engage in these warm chats at locks? The lock crew are out winding paddles, straining at gates and gossiping with other boat's crews. I'm on the back of the boat and if the lock gates are shut, I stay where I am. If the gates are open I go in. What else do I need to know?

Richard

You need to know whether to start setting forward towards the lock, or whether to hold off for a descending boat.

If overburdened with crew, one can indicate that there is a boat coming the other way, and that the lock need not be closed after exit.

Sounds like a practical and useful idea to me. Problem is, as it's not 'policed' it could become overloaded with cr*p and then have no further usefullness.

With a 3 mile radius it should not suffer from huge amounts of spam IMHO

Nick

I certainly used them during last year's holidays. Very useful at locks, and more reliable than semaphore / oral methods. (Sorry should that be aural?)

And yes, if we could all agree a listening channel like 16 on the marine VHF, I will listen when we retire to a boat. So since these radios are smaller than Marine VHF sets and channel 16 is the big boys calling and listening channel, then yes let's use the "half " channel 8 with selective calling switched off

SWMBO has just announced that in her manning projection for her department she has indicated a need for her replacment in March next year. Whopee - means we can retire early!!!

J

I certainly used them during last year's holidays. Very useful at locks, and more reliable than semaphore / oral methods. (Sorry should that be aural?)

And yes, if we could all agree a listening channel like 16 on the marine VHF, I will listen when we retire to a boat. So since these radios are smaller than Marine VHF sets and channel 16 is the big boys calling and listening channel, then yes let's use the "half " channel 8 with selective calling switched off

J

What is the "half channel " term ?

The PMR sets / band I was referring to only have 8 analogue channels, and are nothing do do with Marine sets ( VHF around 156+ MHz ) but operate on 446 MHz - channel 8 is 446.09375 MHz.

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

The PMR sets / band I was referring to only have 8 analogue channels, and are nothing do do with Marine sets ( VHF around 156+ MHz ) but operate on 446 MHz - channel 8 is 446.09375 MHz.

Nick

I think what Jelunga was referring to was big boys use 16 on marine so us lot will use 8 on PMR, half of 16.

I think what Jelunga was referring to was big boys use 16 on marine so us lot will use 8 on PMR, half of 16.

OK - I wondered if people might think that if they turn the dial on their VHF Marine band set until the display "reads 8" and chat away hoping someone might reply, but I guess marine band licensees would probably know that was not going to put them on the PMR 446 CH 8....

Nick

You need to know whether to start setting forward towards the lock, or whether to hold off for a descending boat.

If overburdened with crew, one can indicate that there is a boat coming the other way, and that the lock need not be closed after exit.

You know, I can usually see a boat in a lock as it descends. If I can't then a simple arm up with palm facing towards me is enough to get me to hold, I'll respond with a thumbs up.

And I'm working the boat, not the locks. My crew can play any games with paddles, gates and other crews that they like. That's their responsibility.

Richard

If I'm overburdened with crew they usually politely go and help other boats to speed us on our way.

when you listen in on the VHF at sea,the chit chat between friends is mainly on issues such as what pub are you heading to etc,i dont see pmr or vhf radios taking anything away from the friendly banter between boaters,you can call up your friends and find out where they are stopping for the night.

IMHO VHF is a better option,you can mount a whip type antennia that would increase your range significantly and as long as you stick to the ship to ship channels and use 16 for the purpose that its intended then, its a great idea,stick in your dsc numbers and wh needs a mobile :lol:

when you listen in on the VHF at sea,the chit chat between friends is mainly on issues such as what pub are you heading to etc,i dont see pmr or vhf radios taking anything away from the friendly banter between boaters,you can call up your friends and find out where they are stopping for the night.

IMHO VHF is a better option,you can mount a whip type antennia that would increase your range significantly and as long as you stick to the ship to ship channels and use 16 for the purpose that its intended then, its a great idea,stick in your dsc numbers and wh needs a mobile :lol:

Exactly what i have done with a mag mount on the roof

slightly off topic here but i have just read the thread and have turned on my HAM radio and found no one, however will be monitoring so if anyone is in the loughborough area i will be on 2m and 70cm. would be interesting to see if any other boaters are in the area

slightly off topic here but i have just read the thread and have turned on my HAM radio and found no one, however will be monitoring so if anyone is in the loughborough area i will be on 2m and 70cm. would be interesting to see if any other boaters are in the area

One problem with any system is many / most just switch on and listen - so we have people all over the place just listening... It is necessary to transmit so others know you are around - hence my suggestion to announce your presence upon arrival at a "busy place" or even approaching a lock with one boat there, perhaps single handed to see if he/she is waiting for a locking partner ?

Some Ham sets now give out your callsign every few minutes if the frequency is not in use, for just this reason ( Yaesu have a transponder function to check parties are in range and adjust power out accordingly ) Amateur repeaters give out their callsign every few minutes when inactive.

My point is it is insufficient to just switch on and hope you hear activity as that is what probably 95% of users are doing and it all becomes a bit pointless.... The flip side is people won't be interested ( can't be arsed) to do that, but maybe when approaching busy places to announce your imminent arrival might be of benefit to all, and periodically at the end of a day to see who is around / has the bottle open or when looking to moor up.

Nick

And of course an added difficulty is that whilst 2 mtrs / 70 cms amateur has accepted calling frequencies, something like PMR 446 does not.

Although there are a lot of people on the forum, not many will have PMR sets and use them in this way. It's probably unrealistic to spread the news enough that we'll all be on the same channel.

In many, many hours of cruising last year, we could have counted the forum members boats we saw on our fingers, I suspect, and almost none of those were occupied at the time.

I'm prepared to try making our "normal" PMR channel an agreed one, but still don't really expect to find other people on it.

And of course an added difficulty is that whilst 2 mtrs / 70 cms amateur has accepted calling frequencies, something like PMR 446 does not.

Although there are a lot of people on the forum, not many will have PMR sets and use them in this way. It's probably unrealistic to spread the news enough that we'll all be on the same channel.

In many, many hours of cruising last year, we could have counted the forum members boats we saw on our fingers, I suspect, and almost none of those were occupied at the time.

I'm prepared to try making our "normal" PMR channel an agreed one, but still don't really expect to find other people on it.

I used mine along the Llangollen last year and was probably the only one using PMR but it was mostly used as an intercom from stern to cabin anyway.

I bought the TLKR T5 from Motorola purely because of the "optional 12v charger" which I thought would be ideal to charge straight of the cigar lighter socket, unfortunately the chargers have not materialised and these sets have been out quite a while now. :lol:

What is the difference between PMR & GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) If any?

GMRS is a US standard using frequencies that are used by other users - TV broadcast / police / services etc - NOT a good idea to use in UK / Europe ( apart from being illegal) and pretty useless anyway as no-one else will likley be using them.

PMR is the generic term for Private Mobile Radio, for which there are several bands for a variety of users, and for the public, the one ( most useful / most commonly used) band nowadays is PMR446, which operates at approx 446 MHz and you don't need a license for - just buy the sets and away you go - from ? less than £10 per set although the better sets are a bit more - the £150 sets though are probably overkill unless you want particular features and accept the price....

Nick

I agree - which is why I suggest Ch 8 code 00 ( CTCSS off) in the hope that more will monitor / use this channel and have a better chance of hearing / contacting others - however most sets will scan all 8 frequencies to pick up people who may be on those other channels... and don't follow this forum --- assuming they do transmit !!

See if your amateur set has a beacon mode or the Yaesu in-range checking system (ARTS)

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I agree - which is why I suggest Ch 8 code 00 ( CTCSS off) in the hope that more will monitor / use this channel and have a better chance of hearing / contacting others - however most sets will scan all 8 frequencies to pick up people who may be on those other channels... and don't follow this forum --- assuming they do transmit !!

See if your amateur set has a beacon mode or the Yaesu in-range checking system (ARTS)

Nick

My hand held is the Yaesu VX-7R triband with mag mount whip on roof of boat

Mick

My hand held is the Yaesu VX-7R triband with mag mount whip on roof of boat

Mick

I have one of them ( VX-7) and a couple of FT-60s but prefer to use the cheapo PMR446 sets when there's a risk of dropping them in !! ( even though the VX-7 is claimed to be waterproof )

What area/region will you be covering this year ? ...

We will be travelling from Braunston down to Reading around end of May / early June and then plan to do the K and A this season....

( will also monitor 2 / 70 calling freqs whilst on board and stick up either a vertical for HF whilst moored, or a vertical loop tuned with the SGC 230 )

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I have one of them ( VX-7) and a couple of FT-60s but prefer to use the cheapo PMR446 sets when there's a risk of dropping them in !! ( even though the VX-7 is claimed to be waterproof )

What area/region will you be covering this year ? ...

We will be travelling from Braunston down to Reading around end of May / early June and then plan to do the K and A this season....

( will also monitor 2 / 70 calling freqs whilst on board and stick up either a vertical for HF whilst moored, or a vertical loop tuned with the SGC 230 )

Nick

We are based on the Staffs Worcs may go up to the Llangolen later this year,yes the are supposed to be waterproof but i have no intention of testing it at the price they cost.Will stick to my PMRs

Mick

GMRS is a US standard using frequencies that are used by other users - TV broadcast / police / services etc - NOT a good idea to use in UK / Europe ( apart from being illegal) and pretty useless anyway as no-one else will likley be using them.

PMR is the generic term for Private Mobile Radio, for which there are several bands for a variety of users, and for the public, the one ( most useful / most commonly used) band nowadays is PMR446, which operates at approx 446 MHz and you don't need a license for - just buy the sets and away you go - from ? less than £10 per set although the better sets are a bit more - the £150 sets though are probably overkill unless you want particular features and accept the price....

Nick

Thanks for that clear explanation Nick,

I'm now looking on Ebay for a legal set! :lol:

Nick

Sorry, I was being stupid / funny. Half of channel 16 is channel 8!!!

And all this talk of "whips" is making me feel quite excited. "Miss Whiplash" etc