Window Drain Away Covers

Androo

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the plastic window drain away covers that fit onto the outside of the window at the bottom to cover up the drain away slot.

Androo

Hi

What is the make of the window ... or a picture

There are many different types

Alex

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the plastic window drain away covers that fit onto the outside of the window at the bottom to cover up the drain away slot.

Androo

I've no idea what you mean. I don't think I've ever seen them. What is the purpose of these things (if indeed they do exist)?

Edited by blackrose

I've no idea what you mean. I don't think I've ever seen them. What is the purpose of these things (if indeed they do exist)?

Mike,

Many "bus style" boat windows have a channel at the bottom on the inside, where any condensation will collect. This is often ducted to the outside through a couple of slots cut through the frame, and, outside, these slots often have a cover screwed over them, that allows the water to drain downwards, but keeps the weather out.

That said, the only covers I've seen like this are in alloy, to match the window. I've never seen them in plastic, but perhaps I'm just not observant enough.

I wish our solitary porthole had a similar drain - it's the one place where the condensation on glass doesn't get drained away outside.

Mike,

Many "bus style" boat windows have a channel at the bottom on the inside, where any condensation will collect. This is often ducted to the outside through a couple of slots cut through the frame, and, outside, these slots often have a cover screwed over them, that allows the water to drain downwards, but keeps the weather out.

That said, the only covers I've seen like this are in alloy, to match the window. I've never seen them in plastic, but perhaps I'm just not observant enough.

I wish our solitary porthole had a similar drain - it's the one place where the condensation on glass doesn't get drained away outside.

Ah I see, that's what we're talking about.

I've only seen them in alloy too. My portholes have a single drain hole & cover at the bottom.

I whould think it would be easy enough to make those covers yourself by bending a bit of aluminuim to the right shape and then just stick them over the holes with some PU sealant.

Edited by blackrose

Hi

What is the make of the window ... or a picture

There are many different types

Alex

Not sure of the make of window only that they are of the bus type window like Alan described. Only difference is that my windows have plastic covers which just push and click into place.

I'll try and post a picture tomorrow as it's getting dark here.

Andrew

Sorry for not posting a pic but I've just seen what type of drain cap cover I need on the marina toilet block UPVC windows. They seem to be a standard size and are push and click type.

I only need two. Maybe I could go up there when dark (like now) and swap my two broken ones for two complete ones (same colour no one would ever know)... :lol:

Only joking

Edited by Androo

Not sure of the make of window only that they are of the bus type window like Alan described. Only difference is that my windows have plastic covers which just push and click into place.

I'll try and post a picture tomorrow as it's getting dark here.

Andrew

Hi

My Worcester Windows drains have small black caps on them.

I contacted them when I lost one and they sent me a dozen - top service.

Have a look at Clicky

You may have their windows.

Alex

• 7 years later...

Not sure if there has been any better and more recent information on this topic but I have just bought: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GK6ZNWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

I've got (solid) gold window frames so bought the caramel coloured/flavoured version. A couple of my covers were missing and/or held on with gaffer tape. That has now been replaced with the above-linked item which match exactly in design and fitting ie just clip in. Looks so much better and I've now got a few in stock for future use. Can highly recommend. (No connection with supplier, blah, blah, blah...)

Edited by Opener
  • Greenie 1

Different makes of windows have different sorts. The window maker ought to be able to send you some. My Wesley Marine windows have plastic drainage channel covers some of which are now broken and some disappeared entirely - presumably knocked off - within six months of the windows being installed. I think they're cosmetic as I can't see the covers performing any real function.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Different makes of windows have different sorts. The window maker ought to be able to send you some. My Wesley Marine windows have plastic drainage channel covers some of which are now broken and some disappeared entirely - presumably knocked off - within six months of the windows being installed. I think they're cosmetic as I can't see the covers performing any real function.

Nor me just a way of them getting blocked easier.

Without the covers wind and rain can blow in ie wind from that side just needs to do a 90' turn to blow up the inside of your window. With a cover in place it will need to blow upwards then 90' to horizontal and a further 90' to blow up the window. Multiply that by two vents per window and all the windows on that side and you will be getting complaints from your spiders. Looks nicer with the covers in place too.