QUE SERA SERA- WALKING WEEKEND

Featured Posts

I cant remember its name but isnt there a short arm or stub end of a canal around there that is or was used by a hire boat firm called Jannel Cruisers ?

That is Shobnall. I was assuming that they were excluding it when they said "between Alrewas and Shobnall"

That is Shobnall. I was assuming that they were excluding it when they said "between Alrewas and Shobnall"

Well thats the only one that I can think of that fits the location description as I have ruled out the points where the river joins the canal as you wouldnt get a boat off line there and the others such as Shardlow , Stenson and Swarkstone are too far away .

we have been there today they have put poster up but seen nothing

xx

we have had friends cover canal from sawley to alrewas today so it could have gone onto the coventry from fradley as it was seen yesturday between snobnall and alrewas it could not have got past our friends so we are assuming its gone onto coventry or towards great haywood direction

COULD WE BE ASSUMING WRONG?

sorry if these directions are a bit strange its all we know at this time

we came across a couple today who said it was in fradley the wednesday or the thursday of the week they hired it befor it was due back on the friday on 6th march

regards

zoe

xx

Great Haywood would seem to me the direction which would be taken under normal circumstances as you wouldnt expect them to double back past their starting point again along the Coventry Canal from Fradley or to turn round and go back towards Alrewas . However there is nothing normal or logical about the behaviour of those on board so the best advice is to try to cover all three routes.

Hi folks,

Following the reported sighting yesterday of the boat being between Alrewas and Shobnall, this evening I walked from Alrewas to the canal entrance of Barton Turns and no sign of Que Sera Sera.

Perhaps people could check out from Barton's to Shobnall tomorrow, ideally some starting at Barton's and others at Shobnall and meeting in the middle, to rule out that stretch.

I tried to check out the Wychnor Private Moorings mentioned on Canalplan but no sign unless they are non-towapth moorings near Alrewas.

Good luck

Robert Neff

Mercia Marina

Morning everyone.

I had a text from Carole last night (sorry I didn't notice it until this morning) asking me to thank everyone who has given their time yesterday to look for Que Sera Sera.

If I get any more news, I'll update this thread...

Alan

Sounds strange to me that there seems to have been no attempt to disguise the boat. Perhaps the hirers have misunderstood the terms of hire and think they have it for a longer period?

Perhaps they have already sold it to someone else?

Best of luck. I am sure you will have it back soon

PS "Que Sera Sera" has momories for me. I have seen it on the cut a few times. When a song of that name was very popular, way back in the 19..'s, I was given the cane (Nine strokes on the BTM) for using the alternative words "Kiss her a*s her a*s" When I complained that the punishment was too severe For the crime, the head master simply quoted "What will be will be" and added a weeks detention! Still, I gained some noteriety!

Does anyone know whether the 'sightings' have been validified. I suppose it is alwasy possible that the theives are clued up more than has been given credit to them? They might have paid a few people off to say they saw the boat on a particular stretch in order to ensure that people are looking in a particular area, for a boat with the same spec as when hired out... in the meantime they are elsewhere painting it or lifting it out?

I think we should keep looking where we are as well as on those stretches.

I cant remember its name but isnt there a short arm or stub end of a canal around there that is or was used by a hire boat firm called Jannel Cruisers ?

The Bond End Canal. Was Jannel Cruisers, but I think the family sold the business last year.

It's hard to know where to post on this topic, with several threads often running simultaneously.

However, as this one relates to latest requests to look at the weekend, could anyone involved in the search please give an update on where was searched.

I think the points made by both Bones, and Denboy are very valid.

We have heard there have been at least 3 sightings so far, but we are not really hearing much about where that information came from, or the extent to which it has been possible to verify it.

There are other "Que Sera Sera"s, so as Den says, it's possible that even a verifiable sigting of a boat of that name may not be the correct boat.

So have those doing the chasing been able to speak to those doing the sighting, and how convinced are they that the sightings are good, and definitely of the right boat ?

It does seem strange to me that if the right boat is in the environs of it's home moorings, undisguised, with it's name on it, that it hasn't yet been found, (well, to me, anyway).

could it be that the sightings are of a different boat with the same name also, as somewhere back in one of the threads there was a listing of 2 other boats with the same name?

Just to refresh our memories of the other boats of this name shown on Jim Shead's site:

• Date Built: 1972 Length: 26 feet 11 inches Beam: 6 Feet 11 inches
  • Date Built: Unknown Length: 35 feet Beam: 6 Feet 10 inches
  • Date Built: 1975 Length: 22 feet Beam: 8 Feet 3 inches

I would have thought it difficult, from the above details, to mistake one of these boats for the missing boat.

Stewey

Just to refresh our memories of the other boats of this name shown on Jim Shead's site:

• Date Built: 1972 Length: 26 feet 11 inches Beam: 6 Feet 11 inches
  • Date Built: Unknown Length: 35 feet Beam: 6 Feet 10 inches
  • Date Built: 1975 Length: 22 feet Beam: 8 Feet 3 inches

I would have thought it difficult, from the above details, to mistake one of these boats for the missing boat.

Stewey

Fair comment, provided a sighting comes from someone who understands boats, and knows what they are looking for.

But if you ask someone, "Have you seen a boat called Que Sera Sera", and they say "yes", they may well remember little other than a name, (that they perhaps associated to a song). Few towpath walkers, fisherman, or lockside gongoozlers have even the faintest idea how long a typical narrowbaot is, in my experience.

Finally Jim Shead's listings are by no means complete. Neither this "Que Sera Sera", (with current name), nor the stolen "Kalzar" appear, so it's quite possible there are further "Que Sera Sera"s out there, I would say.

But statistically improbable that several "Que sera Sera"'s have all congregated in the same area. :lol:

Agreed.

But without some sane explanation of what's going on, is it any less likely that another Que Sera Sera is thereabouts, than that those who stole this one would be choosing to cruise it around the very area in which they took it, (including apparently past where they took it).

If they are real sightings of the correct Que Sera Sera, then I stick by my suggestion that we are either dealing with very stupid thieves, or that those now on board think they are there legitimately for some reason.

I agree with the suggestion that we need to be made aware to what extent these sigtings have been validated, and how reliable the informants are felt to be.

Nobody is now looking for the boat much except in that immediate area, which would be very convenient to anybody who knew it wasn't in that immediate area, as Bones said.