Gauges Stopped Working

Androo

Featured Posts

All of a sudden my, Rev Counter/Oil Pressure Gauge/Water Temp Gauge have ceased to function.

Please ignore my ignorance but, I have put every switch on the panel in the on position and they still won't work. I've checked the connections at the rear but I'm not sure where the fuses are.

Could it be a fuse as all 3 gauges are out of service?

Androo

All of a sudden my, Rev Counter/Oil Pressure Gauge/Water Temp Gauge have ceased to function.

Please ignore my ignorance but, I have put every switch on the panel in the on position and they still won't work. I've checked the connections at the rear but I'm not sure where the fuses are.

Could it be a fuse as all 3 gauges are out of service?

Androo

My particular engine (Vetus) has I believe a single fuse for all the control panel. Hard to say without knowing details of your particular setup.

Hi

This may sound really daft but I got caught out a while back when the cd wouldn't work.

Checked all the fuses / connections etc and was about to give up.

I then turned the ignition on and it worked perfectly. :lol::lol::lol:

Embarrassed or what.

Just a thought.

Mike

Hi

This may sound really daft but I got caught out a while back when the cd wouldn't work.

Checked all the fuses / connections etc and was about to give up.

I then turned the ignition on and it worked perfectly. :lol::lol::lol:

Embarrassed or what.

Just a thought.

Mike

I had the engine running at the time so they should have been working

You don't say what your engine is, but for example with the Vetus panel, if after starting the engine you urn the key back a bit too far, the engine runs fine but the guages do not register.

You don't say what your engine is, but for example with the Vetus panel, if after starting the engine you urn the key back a bit too far, the engine runs fine but the guages do not register.

The engine is a Thornycroft 1500.

With the key in the off position

One turn and the whistling noise starts (hold for 10 secs) then turn to start.

Then turn key back to start position otherwise whistling noise continous.

WHEN YOU SAY MAIN ISOLATOR DO YOU MEAN THE 3RD RED KEY? SEE LINK

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20839

possibility if you`ve been using the switches can you get somebody to turn them on and off while you watch the guages and see if theres any flickering them red key switches do go wrong

My Vetus did exactly that last summer.

Not necessarily. My engine will run all day with the ignition turned off.

Nick

possibility if you`ve been using the switches can you get somebody to turn them on and off while you watch the guages and see if theres any flickering them red key switches do go wrong

Aaaaagh! Don't mess about with the main isolators when the engine is running. You could (will) destroy the electronics on your alternator.

Nick

Not necessarily. My engine will run all day with the ignition turned off.

Nick

erum yes forgot to say with just the ignition switched on

Aaaaagh! Don't mess about with the main isolators when the engine is running. You could (will) destroy the electronics on your alternator.

Nick

forgot to say with just the ignition switched on

Edited by denboy

Wow! Gauges! Wish we had guages...

Good to see someone hedging their bets with two spellings of the word in only 6 words altogether!

I always have trouble with that word, often getting it right when I first type it, but then "correcting" it because it looked wrong. :lol:

Exactly, I've had exactly the same problem- I've turned off the ignition by accident, but the engine, being diesel, continues to run quite happily.

Check the ignition key. :lol:

Good to see someone hedging their bets with two spellings of the word in only 6 words altogether!

I always have trouble with that word, often getting it right when I first type it, but then "correcting" it because it looked wrong. :lol:

I have to look it up everytime I use it because I have one product with the word "gauge" in it and one with the word "guard" in it.

One of our dealers deliberately has "****Gauge" and "****Guage" next to each other on his website so when people spell it wrong he is at the top of the search listing. I thought that was quite shrewd of him. Unfortunately for him Google now automatically searches both with its intelligent spelling correction so it just makes him look like he can't spell :lol:

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

Exactly, I've had exactly the same problem- I've turned off the ignition by accident, but the engine, being diesel, continues to run quite happily.

Check the ignition key. :lol:

That's my bet as well. turning the key back to far, just let it go with the spring.

That's my bet as well. turning the key back to far, just let it go with the spring.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. It most probably is just that as, when the previous owner showed me how to start the engine last month the 3 clocks were all OK and working...

Androo

I have to look it up everytime I use it because I have one product with the word "gauge" in it and one with the word "guard" in it.

One of our dealers deliberately has "****Gauge" and "****Guage" next to each other on his website so when people spell it wrong he is at the top of the search listing. I thought that was quite shrewd of him. Unfortunately for him Google now automatically searches both with its intelligent spelling correction so it just makes him look like he can't spell :lol:

Gibbo

That's what he says :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no its not OK

I thought I had fixed it but its doing the same again.

Even tried a new switch but still the same.

One thing though now is, that the whistling noise which should be there prior to heating the plugs doesn't whistle anymore.

I noticed two very small fuses on the rear of the switch panel took them out and checked and they seem OK.

Any help appreciated.

OK, This time it's really been fixed.

Traced the fault to a faulty fuse holder (hairline crack) behind the switch control panel.

Cut out old fuse and replaced with a new waterproof covered one...

Androo