The wonders of mother nature!

Featured Posts

Why do Mallards have orange legs and feet?

What is the function of a Mallards Drakes curly feathers on his arse?

How do Moorhens meet another moorhen (They are the most solitary bird I know!)?

How where and when do Moorhens mate? (See above)

Why does a perfectly camouflaged moorhen have a bright red flash across his beak/nose, which then stands out a mile?

Ditto above for a Moorhens bum, being squeaky clean white, against a black/dark brown background of feathers, again, destroying his camouflage?

Rob

Why does a perfectly camouflaged moorhen have a bright red flash across his beak/nose, which then stands out a mile?

Ditto above for a Moorhens bum, being squeaky clean white, against a black/dark brown background of feathers, again, destroying his camouflage?

Rob

Its a bit like why dogs have two holes in their fur where their eyes are.

Its a bit like why dogs have two holes in their fur where their eyes are.

No! Not True!

Everyone knows that dogs have eyes, therefore, dicto facto, they must have two holes in their skin to accommodate their eyes!

It is, therefore obvious to one and all, what the function of those two holes in their skins are for, but, not the seemingly, superficial quirks of Mother nature, as I have mentioned above. (Quick, call on Bill Oddie!!)

Edited by Byeckerslike

Have you read The Selfish Gene? It's full of examples of evolutionary contradictions, including the apparent direct conflict between the need for camouflage and the need to attract a mate in the avian world.

Not an answer, but the opening comments by the OP don't even start to scratch the surface!

Had the pleasure of watching a 'Wood' duck pruning itself on the side of the marina. Incredible head gear! Looked a bit lost and not a mate in sight. Anyone seen one?

Barry

There was one hanging around Rugby, down by the Brownsover arm, for a while. We had a Harlequin Duck visit us , for a while, up the Ashby, too.

Hi, thanks for your opinion, but I can assure you that I do get out more than most, I am a keen observer of nature, and am inclined to think about my observations.

Developing a sense of humour wouldn't hurt, either. :lol:

Rob

Mallards:

feet- so they can see them under water

arse-to repel confused invaders

Moorhens:

meet-on moorhen nights obviously

mate- after much alcohol and lying(of course I've had a vasectomy),under a bush somewhere

camouflage- if they hadn't you'd see even less of them