Passing an oncoming boat...

mykaskin

Featured Posts

There are sadly an ever-increasing number of them who won't share a Grand Union lock with anyone else in case their precious paintwork should get scratched.

Not had this experiance yet Allan ... but in expectation of it happening whats the "polite " reaction to this? Is it ........

Thats ok dear chap, you go through and I will wait.

or

Sorry thats not how its done and we are saving water ...move over we are coming in.

or

Ok come out if you do not want to share and follow me later.

The sad thing is I expect the answer is give up, have a cuppa, give them an hours head start and still catch them up for a replay within the next 3 locks!

Am i right?

Cheers

Chas

Saw a boat whilst I was out last week using the bow thruster repeatedly in a narrow lock to avoid touching the sides..... :lol:

I dont belieeeeve it! :lol:

Was it blowing bubbles.

Chas

Saw a boat whilst I was out last week using the bow thruster repeatedly in a narrow lock to avoid touching the sides..... :lol:

Unbelievable!

Surely everyone knows you are supposed to have a line of fenders deployed down each side! :lol:

Not had this experiance yet Allan ... but in expectation of it happening whats the "polite " reaction to this? Is it ........

Thats ok dear chap, you go through and I will wait.

or

Sorry thats not how its done and we are saving water ...move over we are coming in.

or

Ok come out if you do not want to share and follow me later.

The sad thing is I expect the answer is give up, have a cuppa, give them an hours head start and still catch them up for a replay within the next 3 locks!

Am i right?

Cheers

Chas

I've had to use both option 2 and option 3, and also "If you don't want to join me I'm just going to shut the gate and carry on without you"

In the politest possible way of course.

There are sadly an ever-increasing number of them who won't share a Grand Union lock with anyone else in case their precious paintwork should get scratched.

Had the opposite experience while out with Chiswick on the GU the other week - guy on a tiny tupperware insisted on coming in with us, despite being advised against it. Have to admire his nerve I suppose but it was us who were ... well, nervous. All passed without a hitch so I suppose he was right.

Re passing, isn't the way described as being suitable for working boats actually best for everyone, even those who don't actually need deep water - more efficient, quicker, and less likely to end up in the trees?

Had the opposite experience while out with Chiswick on the GU the other week - guy on a tiny tupperware insisted on coming in with us, despite being advised against it. Have to admire his nerve I suppose but it was us who were ... well, nervous. All passed without a hitch so I suppose he was right.

Re passing, isn't the way described as being suitable for working boats actually best for everyone, even those who don't actually need deep water - more efficient, quicker, and less likely to end up in the trees?

We have found this. We always share locks where possible. NB owners are often more nervous than us. Provided everybody is roped up properly where is the issue?

NB in first, GRP out first.

Oh, indeed, but most people wimp out - which is a shame 'cause it's great fun passing only inches away.

Mike

[quote name='Phylis' date='May 13 2009, 04:53 PM' post='365674'

Very sensible, although I'd do it differently in locks on the Ouse or Nene with guillotines. The plastic boat goes in first when ascending, or behind when descending, because the boats are liable to move back, no matter how well roped, when the guillotine is opened.

[quote name='Phylis' date='May 13 2009, 04:53 PM' post='365674'

Very sensible, although I'd do it differently in locks on the Ouse or Nene with guillotines. The plastic boat goes in first when ascending, or behind when descending, because the boats are liable to move back, no matter how well roped, when the guillotine is opened.

No room in front or behind us. No ropes used either.

I think that if you were to ram a working boat, whether empty or loaded, with sufficient speed to knock either one of you in the cut, I would put my money on you being knocked off your perch :lol:

Whilst working boat look very strong, I wasn't in the habit of using Alton as a battering ram loaded or empty. They are surprisingly thin. Every ton of steel is one less ton of valuable cargo and they were built accordingly. No 12mm bottoms on working boats!

The exceptions to that rule were the last ones built in the late 1950s early 1960s. Built without needing cross chains to hold the sides in place they were immensly strong and I always had to give way to a "friend" of mine coming the other way evem if it should have been my bridge:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

The exceptions to that rule were the last ones built in the late 1950s early 1960s. Built without needing cross chains to hold the sides in place they were immensly strong and I always had to give way to a "friend" of mine coming the other way evem if it should have been my bridge:-)

Interesting.

I'd always understood that the Rivers and the Admirals were considerably more lightly built than traditional 1930s boats, not the other way about.

I thought one of the quoted things about the Admirals was that a lighter construction gave them less draught unloaded, so they could carry a bigger load for the same laden draught. (Although I accept that not having such fine swims would also have helped - offset again slighly by their narrower beam).

Certainly Admirals in particular have that characteristic wavy side effect caused by thinnish steel, and not a lot of support.

I must admit I know less about the Rivers, perhaps because the actual use of these for carrying doesn't ever seem to have been that great.

I doubt any of these boats used plate more than 5/16", (so about 8mm), did they ? All metal bottoms in carrying boats were undoubtedly thinner than on a typical recently built pleasure boat, I feel sure.

Interesting.

I'd always understood that the Rivers and the Admirals were considerably more lightly built than traditional 1930s boats, not the other way about.

I thought one of the quoted things about the Admirals was that a lighter construction gave them less draught unloaded, so they could carry a bigger load for the same laden draught. (Although I accept that not having such fine swims would also have helped - offset again slighly by their narrower beam).

Certainly Admirals in particular have that characteristic wavy side effect caused by thinnish steel, and not a lot of support.

I must admit I know less about the Rivers, perhaps because the actual use of these for carrying doesn't ever seem to have been that great.

I doubt any of these boats used plate more than 5/16", (so about 8mm), did they ? All metal bottoms in carrying boats were undoubtedly thinner than on a typical recently built pleasure boat, I feel sure.

To be fair, after I posted I realised I should have specified rivers rather than admirals as I think the latter still had chains. While the plate thickness remained the same the lack of chains neccessitated much stronger ribs making the whole vessel much stronger as meeting my "friend" will tell you:-)

George

I am trying to work out what the conversation is at the end of the video.

I've played it 10 times and still can't get it.

Any clues ?

Ghosty Hill Steerer: You bought it off Zak and Caro?

Me: Thats right, yeah.