"3" Pay as you go Mobile broadband USB dongles...

twocvbloke

Featured Posts

Or you can tape the Dongle to the LNB of a satelite dish, or use a wok and a stick and waggle it about until you get a better signal!

I must say we've been pretty pleased with our 3 dongle and contract. We've both got phones with 3, so it was £10 per month for the dongle and "unlimited" internet usage (In practice, there's a Fair Use policy of I think 7Gb a month). I doubt we're using it that much, but it's far less hastle than pay as you go.

In terms of signal, we've never had any problems. From Birmingham and down the Oxford, down the Thames, and even out into the Fenland Wastes we've pretty much always got at least 3G signal, and more usually HSDPA. It works well enough out in the "flatlands", even in the middle of nowhere.

I've just bought a '3' USB dongle - it works fine, but it seems that the £15 I spent on getting it topped up gives me 3GB - BUT ONLY FOR 30 DAYS!!

Since I will only be using it infrequently and then only to check mail, I was hoping that it would last for ages - is this correct? I am confused by 3's references to 'Add Ons'

If this is correct, I would have been better getting a £20/month contract with a free mini laptop chucked in!

I was told by 3 sales (mis) adviser that unused Mb would roll over and that I would only need to top up when that had gone.

Another load of cr*p from 3.

If you are foolish enough to sign up with them ensure your dongle is capable of receiving and displaying text messages. The one they sent me couldn't and it was a know fault with that model. I think it was a 160 something. Without the text you can't sign up to their web services. All mine displayed on the laptop was small squares which I was initially told by customer services was my password encoded and I needed to put at least £10 of data credit on so I could read it. Guess what............ another load of cr*p.

I eventually got a refund for the dongle but the £10 I had to put on was never refunded as they said there is not a policy to refund unused credit on returned items.

Just don't do it.

I was told by 3 sales (mis) adviser that unused Mb would roll over and that I would only need to top up when that had gone.

If you are foolish enough to sign up with them ensure your dongle is capable of receiving and displaying text messages. The one they sent me couldn't and it was a know fault with that model. I think it was a 160 something. Without the text you can't sign up to their web services. All mine displayed on the laptop was small squares which I was initially told by customer services was my password encoded and I needed to put at least £10 of data credit on so I could read it. Guess what............ another load of cr*p.

I eventually got a refund for the dongle but the £10 I had to put on was never refunded as they said there is not a policy to refund unused credit on returned items.

Just don't do it.

Are all the providers the same - or is 3 the only one with a time limit (or a short time limit)?

That's the same as 3 - I am looking at the Vodafone site and this doesn't reference a time limit. I'll go into a shop and check though!

Cheers

Richard

Hmm, you're right, there's no mention of time limits on the allowances, whether there are or aren't any, I'd be rather cautious with them as you never know whether they'll sting you there or not... :lol:

Hi

I have 3 and have found there is no reception for the full length of the Langollen (only at either end) nor the Peak Forest

Alex

Just at the top of the Mont.

Just don't do it.

I can't get texts and rang them up, I think but am not sure they emailed it to me.

Or you can tape the Dongle to the LNB of a satelite dish, or use a wok and a stick and waggle it about until you get a better signal!

I must say we've been pretty pleased with our 3 dongle and contract. We've both got phones with 3, so it was £10 per month for the dongle and "unlimited" internet usage (In practice, there's a Fair Use policy of I think 7Gb a month). I doubt we're using it that much, but it's far less hastle than pay as you go.

In terms of signal, we've never had any problems. From Birmingham and down the Oxford, down the Thames, and even out into the Fenland Wastes we've pretty much always got at least 3G signal, and more usually HSDPA. It works well enough out in the "flatlands", even in the middle of nowhere.

I have had a problem this trip accessing the web, I am connecting at HSDPA and can do e-mail, News groups, Skype and even upload my blog but I can't open a web site, then suddenly its great, good speed on the web for 15 minuets then no webs again. I think they must lack the web connections because I found that if I connect to 3 and immediately click the little house to go to the 3 web site I connect to the web (sometimes)

I had a 3 dongle on PAYG. It was total cr*p, but that was the best part. Their customer services and support is a joke, accept its not funny.

I just can't tell you how much I think they are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

I am sure I posted about this somewhere here. Do a name search on me.

Biggles

How can this be posted + other similar comments about "3" not working. I posted true but derogatory comments regarding [company name removed] the name [company name removed] is then removed by moderators. Is that because some members have a good word about "3" but nobody says a good word about [company name removed]. Indeed other members have also had problems with [company name removed].

I would appreciate an explanation from a moderator.

Edited by Liam

How can this be posted + other similar comments about "3" not working. I posted true but derogatory comments regarding [company name removed] the name [company name removed] is then removed by moderators. Is that because some members have a good word about "3" but nobody says a good word about [company name removed]. Indeed other members have also had problems with [company name removed].

I would appreciate an explanation from a moderator.

I agree with you, though I think your comments should be removed, as well as the bad comments about 3.

I also find it strange that we can say "such and such pub is lousy" but not "This marina is rubbish".

With 5 pubs a day, going out of business, possibly unfounded comments, on here could affect someone's livelihood.

Edited by Liam

I agree with you, though I think your comments should be removed, as well as the bad comments about 3.

I also find it strange that we can say "such and such pub is lousy" but not "This marina is rubbish".

With 5 pubs a day, going out of business, possibly unfounded comments, on here could affect someone's livelihood.

Libellous comments can cause legal issues, that's what a lot of forum owners (having been one myself) try to avoid where possible... :lol:

My comments about 3 are true that's why I can post them. They are not defamatory or libellous A forum is a discussion & debate area and that's exactly what is going on. Everything else seems to have gone out of the window in the UK of late, but I didn't see free speech go with it yet.

If no one was allowed to post negative comments about XYZ? etc. a lot of this forum, and indeed most forums would be a dull place.

A lot of people seem very happy with 3, I'm not and I have the right to voice that without censorship.

Biggles

I agree. I think a list is needed.

Obviously boat builders and marinas cannot be criticized but mobile phone networks and pubs are allowed

Perhaps a moderator could supply a sticky list of items approved for criticism & naming.

My comments about 3 are true that's why I can post them. They are not defamatory or libellous A forum is a discussion & debate area and that's exactly what is going on. Everything else seems to have gone out of the window in the UK of late, but I didn't see free speech go with it yet.

If no one was allowed to post negative comments about XYZ? etc. a lot of this forum, and indeed most forums would be a dull place.

A lot of people seem very happy with 3, I'm not and I have the right to voice that without censorship.

Biggles

My comments regarding [company name removed] are not libellous as they are true. As witnessed by other tradesmen who have had to rectify the bad workmanship and repair my new boat.

You state " A lot of people seem very happy with 3, I'm not and I have the right to voice that without censorship."

Are you saying that because nobody seems happy with [company name removed] that I do not have the right to voice the facts without censorship?

Edited by Liam

Absolutely not. If your comments are true then you have the freedom to say. Its da law!! I doubt though you can say "nobody" seems happy with [company name removed] as I am sure that must be untrue. There will be someone that's happy with them. I for one had a large hatch cover made by them and it was fine, so I am happy with them.

Edited by Liam

Biggles

It was my personal opinion of 3, although admitedly i also could not read the text. I visited a 3 shop & they put the sim in one of there mobiles to read the text.

I also read all the terms/conditions before signing up, accepting that some places i would not receive a signal, BUT they have the best coverage in the UK overall. No one provider can have 100%.

BTW i dont work for 3 (i work for BT) & joined 3 after reading reviews & viewing the top10 sales listing....

http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/mobile_broadband

View the above link then go off to each providers site & view coverage etc....

Absolutely not. If your comments are true then you have the freedom to say. Its da law!!

You have the freedom to create your own medium, to say whatever you want, not use somebody elses.

Jon has said that, following previous difficulties, he doesn't want companies criticised, on this forum. We must abide by his wishes because it is his forum and we are his guests.

There is a certain lack of consistency, though.

This is the point............. I am NOT criticising them, I am simply telling MY story. If it were criticism it would still be valid if it were true as in my case. I accept there are some that are happy with them or are happy to put up with poor service, some people might even enjoy it, such is human nature. I'm not and I feel it fair to share my experiences with complete strangers with a common interest than to say nothing. I have more affiliation with members of this forum than I do with 3.

Biggles

• 2 weeks later...

Holy moly, after reading this I have no idea which Dongle to go for.

I will be mainly based in London from West of Kensal Green to as far North East as Tottenham and occasional jaunts up the Lee as far as Stantead Abbotts. Mainly I would want to use it London though.

I don't download movies or anything else (although I do music) and use the internet all the time, pretty much every night for at least an hour and work from home on internet access at least one day per week all day.

SO, I realise there's a ridiculous variety of opinions on someone finding T mobile to work and someone else to hate them.....but is there any consensus on LONDON ONLY???? It would be great if you wonderful peopel could offer consensus to save my eyes hurting any more searching!!

(You lot really are wonderful, never met a more helpful bunch).

All the best

Scotty

I will be mainly based in London from West of Kensal Green to as far North East as Tottenham and occasional jaunts up the Lee as far as Stantead Abbotts. Mainly I would want to use it London though.

I don't download movies or anything else (although I do music) and use the internet all the time, pretty much every night for at least an hour and work from home on internet access at least one day per week all day.

SO, I realise there's a ridiculous variety of opinions on someone finding T mobile to work and someone else to hate them.....but is there any consensus on LONDON ONLY???? It would be great if you wonderful peopel could offer consensus to save my eyes hurting any more searching!!

All the best

Scotty

You may find it helpful if you down load one of the meters so you can see how much you use each month now, so that when you do decide which supplier to use you will have a good idea what tariff to go on.

I am on O2 pay and go - dongle was around £30 quid, and it's £15 a month for 3gig data transfer.

coverage is ok. (well I get an ok signal from the boat) - not sure if it's better or worse than 3. - but the price seems ok.

Hi Grahoom,

I am switching for this summer's cruise from using BT Openzone hotspots (they no longer connects with The Cloud) and have ordered an O2 dongle. The intention is to use a PAYG monthly charge when we set off on our cruise next month.

Did you find the set up easy? and although you say you had OK coverage, could you get reasonable reception without an extention USB, and if so was that from within the boat?

Many thanks,

Derek Porteous

Edited by Derek Porteous

• 1 month later...
Meanwhile, back on topic...

Looks like they have sold out of the 3 dongles, oh well, I've stuck my address in for when they have them back in stock... :lol:

If you haven't sorted anything yet, I happened to visit the three website earlier and they are currently advertising the PAYG dongles from just under £30 in case it's of interest.

If you haven't sorted anything yet, I happened to visit the three website earlier and they are currently advertising the PAYG dongles from just under £30 in case it's of interest.

I got myself a cheap 3 Skype phone (has a broken screen), which can be used as a modem, though I'm not sure if I can get the same data allowances, but I'm sure it'll work for me... :lol:

And £30, not a bad price, probably cos they were being undercut by BigPockets!!! :lol:

All the best

Scotty

Hello Scotty,

I think I may have met you a few weeks ago, moored near Lea Bridge? Anyway, I do the same route as you and I'm very happy with 3. The reception can be a bit variable (but still useable) in places that are further from residential streets, like Stonebridge Lock, but nearer the bustle it works consistently. (I haven't tried it up as far as Stanstead Abbotts yet.)

All the best!