"3" Pay as you go Mobile broadband USB dongles...

twocvbloke

Featured Posts

Just been browsing my favourite (next to ebay) site, and came upon these:

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=THREE001

They're £37.99, £12.01 less than in the shops and is the same thing, that's 1GB of internet usage, for Pay as you go customers that is (Contract customers get them "free" with their contract or with a "free" laptop)... :lol:

I'm convinced, but can't buy one until next week, if the price is the same on Tuesday that is... :lol:

I use a Vodafone prepay one sometimes.

I also have a contract PCMIA card one and satellite, which get used more often.

I don't hear very good things about the 3 coverage ?

Well, I have no experience of 3's coverage, but I'm sure that with a modification or two tot he USB thingy, you could attach a proper aerial to it and greatly improve the signal... :lol:

As for Vodafone, well, they have been in the UK for a very long time so have masts strung up pretty much everywhere they can get them (there's one, which I think is Voda, attached to the side of a semi-demolished building by the L&L on the outskirts of Burnley, how's that for coverage?!?!), so their coverage will be next to none, but, they don't have a cost-effective payg system, so I'm not interested in them... :lol:

I use a Vodafone prepay one sometimes.

I also have a contract PCMIA card one and satellite, which get used more often.

I have a 3g dongle which I am using now, it works fine. I am on the 1Gb a month for a 10 a month

Just been browsing my favourite (next to ebay) site, and came upon these:

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=THREE001

They're £37.99, £12.01 less than in the shops and is the same thing, that's 1GB of internet usage, for Pay as you go customers that is (Contract customers get them "free" with their contract or with a "free" laptop)... :lol:

I'm convinced, but can't buy one until next week, if the price is the same on Tuesday that is... :lol:

1giga is not much at all and, if you exceed your limit most companies charge about 15 quid for every extra giga. Even opening emails and browsing pages contributes to your total.

Team Mobile do a Dongle offer of 15 pounds a month and they give 3gigas and, if you go over they dont charge you any extra. Saying that if you go over your limit excessively month after month they will reduce your speed.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/

I guess it probably depends where you do your cruising, but we have been very impressed with '3' and have seldom failed to get a connect at all.

That includes most of the Grand Union, (incl Leicester), Northern Stratford, much of Brum, out down the Staffs & Worcs onto the Severn and back up the Worcester & Birmingham, up the B&F to the T&M, back down the Soar, etc.

We were very impressed to maintain broadband connection in 12 feet deep locks, and even Curdworth tunnel.

Mind you, we have nothing to compare to, but it was certainly a bloody site better than Vodofone's voice coverage was!

Well, I have no experience of 3's coverage, but I'm sure that with a modification or two tot he USB thingy, you could attach a proper aerial to it and greatly improve the signal... :lol:

As for Vodafone, well, they have been in the UK for a very long time so have masts strung up pretty much everywhere they can get them (there's one, which I think is Voda, attached to the side of a semi-demolished building by the L&L on the outskirts of Burnley, how's that for coverage?!?!), so their coverage will be next to none, but, they don't have a cost-effective payg system, so I'm not interested in them... :lol:

I think you'll find that 'fitting' an aerial is a no go. You'll have to hang it on a 5mt cable outside if on a NB.

3 has the highest coverage at the moment, but like anything it depends on where you are.

1g is pretty low and once you go over, ouch, expensive. Better to go for the 3g.

They'll all come down pretty soon, 5g is already cheaper than 3g was a few months ago.

1giga is not much at all and, if you exceed your limit most companies charge about 15 quid for every extra giga. Even opening emails and browsing pages contributes to your total.

Team Mobile do a Dongle offer of 15 pounds a month and they give 3gigas and, if you go over they dont charge you any extra. Saying that if you go over your limit excessively month after month they will reduce your speed.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/

That's a contract though, if you attempt to cancel for whatever reason within the 18/24 month contract, they'll sting you for a ridiculous amount, with PAYG, it's free of such nasty surprises, and with 3, if you go over your allowance for that top-up, you just have to top up again and go, simple as that... :lol:

Fair comment about 3.

I beg to differ though - Vodafone do have a prepay dongle - as I said in my OP, I have one.

From memory, it cost £39 and came with 1Gb data.

The top-up is £15/1Gb.

I don't use it much so haven't topped up yet.

I think each top up lasts 180 days max.

that's 1GB of internet usage, for Pay as you go customers

I'm probably being dense, but where does that link say anything about 1GB of usage (or credit ?)

To me it just looks like a price for the dongle, (an attractive one admittedly).

If so, surely you can buy any of their standard units of PAYG credit (1GB, 3GB, 7GB IIRC).

Or am I wrong ?

Alan

Just to add, there are 3 or 4 people in the marina where I am in Lancs and they say that the reception is excellent (there is a mast right next to the marina though). Suppose when out cruising it depends where the masts are placed though.

According to the Team Mobile street checker : http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/coverage/street-check/ it gives me max 2G coverage in the marina..

That's a contract though, if you attempt to cancel for whatever reason within the 18/24 month contract, they'll sting you for a ridiculous amount, with PAYG, it's free of such nasty surprises, and with 3, if you go over your allowance for that top-up, you just have to top up again and go, simple as that... :lol:

True. If you finish your contract early they charge you for any remaining months of the contract at the monthly rate you are paying. With team mobile its like that anyway.

No I've told you wrong - the 1Gb will last until its used up, providing you use the dongle at least once every

180 days. I need internet coverage for work and use it as a back-up if the other methods fail.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Port...;pageID=MB_0012

Edited by NB Willawaw

I picked up a 5GB 18 month contract (£7-50 a month) 3 dongle last summer via Quidco website, was advertised on martins money saving site where they keep up to date with all sorts of offers.

Its worth looking out for any of the offers that come up.

I used the dongle at the coast in Lincolnshire with no problem & also throughout our cruising the North Oxford, Coventry & Ashby canals.

Admitedly ive picked up a 5 metre usb lead from QD's for approx £2-99 & hang the dongle outside if lower down in a cutting, 99% of the cruise i managed to pick up a 3g or HSPDA signal.

Not bothered at £7-50 a month if i dont use it some months as opposed to going for the PAYG option which will cost £49-99 for the dongle.

All signal coverage will improve shortly as the operators are sharing cell/mast coverage across the UK whoever you use & also increasing traffic capacity.

I'm probably being dense, but where does that link say anything about 1GB of usage (or credit ?)

To me it just looks like a price for the dongle, (an attractive one admittedly).

If so, surely you can buy any of their standard units of PAYG credit (1GB, 3GB, 7GB IIRC).

Or am I wrong ?

Alan

They're just selling the dongle, they haven't listed the prices, I'm just going from looking at 3's website:

http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Pay_As_You_Go

Not bothered at £7-50 a month if i dont use it some months as opposed to going for the PAYG option which will cost £49-99 for the dongle.

But if you think about it, if you buy the dongle outright for £37.99, then use it as and when you like, with no need to pay every month, plus, as as been seen on Watchdog, if you stop using the dongle (either just no longer needed or moving to another provider) 3 won't claim money that they claim you owe them as part of a contract... :lol:

I am on O2 pay and go - dongle was around £30 quid, and it's £15 a month for 3gig data transfer.

coverage is ok. (well I get an ok signal from the boat) - not sure if it's better or worse than 3. - but the price seems ok.

Edited by grahoom

They're just selling the dongle, they haven't listed the prices, I'm just going from looking at 3's website:

http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Pay_As_You_Go

But if you think about it, if you buy the dongle outright for £37.99, then use it as and when you like, with no need to pay every month, plus, as as been seen on Watchdog, if you stop using the dongle (either just no longer needed or moving to another provider) 3 won't claim money that they claim you owe them as part of a contract... :lol:

I bought my PAYE USB dongle from a well known auction site for £15 last summer.

Never had a problem with a connection, wherever I am, along the canals or around the coasts. Mind you, I have a 5 meter extension cable, so as to hang the dongle out the window or hang it from the main boom.

I keep around £10 lodged in my 3 account and buy "add ons" whenever I'm going to use my notebook while away.

Transfereing £2.50 will give me internet for a week or it's 50 pence for a day and I've never run out of airtime.

I've just tranfered £2.50 for my intended long weekend cruising the solent!

Now watch the weather change now my plan is out!!!

Nipper

I gave up with vodafone and went back to Orange because their signal is better.

Sue

I gave up with vodafone and went back to Orange because their signal is better.

Sue

Funny that, I get no Orange signal where I am (I suppose it would help to get an orange SIM card though!!!), voda, Virgin and T-mob's average and O2 has the strongest signal, it just depends on the topography, the siting of the towers and your mobile equipment... :lol:

I have just got my dongle, in preparation for moving aboard, and it does work. :lol:

As for signal, I have found that just moving it two inches (5cms) the signal changes from 2G to 3G, that is in doors in a city.

The mobile phone is the same but does seem to get 3G easier.

Both 'Orange'

Funny that, I get no Orange signal where I am (I suppose it would help to get an orange SIM card though!!!), voda, Virgin and T-mob's average and O2 has the strongest signal, it just depends on the topography, the siting of the towers and your mobile equipment... :lol:

Hi

I have 3 and have found there is no reception for the full length of the Langollen (only at either end) nor the Peak Forest

Alex

I had a 3 dongle on PAYG. It was total cr*p, but that was the best part. Their customer services and support is a joke, accept its not funny.

I just can't tell you how much I think they are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

I am sure I posted about this somewhere here. Do a name search on me.

Biggles

Hi

I have 3 and have found there is no reception for the full length of the Langollen (only at either end) nor the Peak Forest

Alex

Just goes to show how stupid these things are I have been on the Llangollen since November and am now on the Monty and have had no problem with my 3 have managed to get 3G connection 90% of the time, I do hang it out of the window and quite often it will open up with Orange 2G but then do a manual search and change to "3" 3G

I think you'll find that 'fitting' an aerial is a no go. You'll have to hang it on a 5mt cable outside if on a NB.

3 has the highest coverage at the moment, but like anything it depends on where you are.

1g is pretty low and once you go over, ouch, expensive. Better to go for the 3g.

They'll all come down pretty soon, 5g is already cheaper than 3g was a few months ago.

The E160 & E160g dongles have a port on the side for an aerial connection. Boaters phone do a lead, or you can pick up mag aerials on Ebay.