Proposed New Law For Canal Boats

Oliver1954

Featured Posts

Last Thursday's Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2 featured a discussion about a proposed new law to make drinking alcohol illegal when in control of a canal boat.

I missed the show last Thursday, but have just listened to it and thought I would share it with anyone that may have missed it and would like to hear it now. Jeremy Vine Show

It starts at about thirty minutes in, and lasts for almost 30 minutes (including musical intervals).

Last Thursday's Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2 featured a discussion about a proposed new law to make drinking alcohol illegal when in control of a canal boat.

I missed the show last Thursday, but have just listened to it and thought I would share it with anyone that may have missed it and would like to hear it now. Jeremy Vine Show

It starts at about thirty minutes in, and lasts for almost 30 minutes (including musical intervals).

Yet another way to make profit! It will not be a ''Law'' it will be a new ''Regulation''. What is really needed is better training and education. Car drivers have rigorous training and so should anyone in control of a vessel.

Yet another way to make profit! It will not be a ''Law'' it will be a new ''Regulation''. What is really needed is better training and education. Car drivers have rigorous training and so should anyone in control of a vessel.

I don't think you can compare a 4mph boat with cars that can do over the ton!

Apart form falling in, or crashing into another boat or buggering up a locking procedure there is not a lot to go wrong compared with piloting a car.

training laws are brought in to make money if ask me..

However I think for navigating tidal zones and rivers a bit training might be worth a punt.

I don't think you can compare a 4mph boat with cars that can do over the ton!

Apart form falling in, or crashing into another boat or buggering up a locking procedure there is not a lot to go wrong compared with piloting a car.

training laws are brought in to make money if ask me..

However I think for navigating tidal zones and rivers a bit training might be worth a punt.

[/quote

What i mean is - someone who is control of ANY CAR/MOTORCYCLE/VESSEL( mode of transport ...) that could cause harm, injury or loss, should have adequate training to understand the implications of what they are about to embark upon. Any natural human being would not naturally not want to be ignorant to what is ahead.

This new Regulation will not STOP anyone from being under the influence of alcohol . It will ONLY make money for the company involved.

What IS needed is some sort of training by another human being of experience to show them how to be lawful and respectful to another human beings property and consequence's of harm or injury. If the party are not ''Lawful'' then they should have a fine. But until then it i very unfair to hand someone a fine for something which they are unaware of.

For those of you who live on board - How many times have you seen hire boats mess up? Why is this? Because they DO NOT HAVE ADEQUATE TRAINING - 30 MINS- 1 HOUR IS NOT ENOUGH.

There is no better training than experience. Too many people are making money by offering training in all sorts of useless activities.

Sue

My point in a nut shell! :lol:

Most of us would share experience to someone in the dark about such things. Its how we all learn... by mimicking.

There is no better training than experience. Too many people are making money by offering training in all sorts of useless activities.

Sue

dead right on that i now have a city and guilds certificate for digging holes only cost me £750 for a "Training course"

Hands up - who's been the victim of a drunken sailor? I know I have!

What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

Earliiiiiiiiii in the morning

put him in the brig until he's sober

Earliiiiiiiiii in the morningggggggggggg

Hands up - who's been the victim of a drunken sailor? I know I have!

Earliiiiiiiiii in the morning

Earliiiiiiiiii in the morningggggggggggg

your drunken sailor had it comfy, ours used to be placed in the scuppers and had a far harder time of it!

So, what is the proposed penalties to be applied to anyone convicted of the potential new offence? With the limit per driving, will this be a driving ban and substantial find? Or a ban "driving" a boat? For individuals without a driving licence will one be issued in order for the penalties to be applied then what when a second offence is committed before the ban expires? Why were these points not put forward in th programme?

So, what is the proposed penalties to be applied to anyone convicted of the potential new offence? With the limit per driving, will this be a driving ban and substantial find? Or a ban "driving" a boat? For individuals without a driving licence will one be issued in order for the penalties to be applied then what when a second offence is committed before the ban expires? Why were these points not put forward in th programme?

More to the point why are we, as a nation, putting up with this nonsense. I'm sure there is quite a few of us who are also motorcycle/car drivers as well. We should get together as a community and peacefully protest. Draft a letter and a petition to send.

BW are a company and run for profit. We have enough costs to cover as it is and i for one have had enough. Next it will be a driving licence they impose on us. Then another insurance. Then a transport tax. Can you all not see where this will lead?? Maybe we should start a petition on here first to get things rolling, what do you think?? *MODERATORS* CAN WE HAVE A STICKY AT THE TOP PLEASE IF POSS???

What a great idea, Its will stop pissed up hire boaters during the summer! Im for it.

It will not stop anyone getting pissed. It will only make more money for the company. New rules and regs are for their benefit only. When most people get a ticket for anything they would rather pay the fine then realize that they actually do not have to pay it.

No, it IS a new law (Section 80 of the Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003)

The new regulation merely implements some (inadequate) exemptions to the law.

More regulations will be required to actually bring section 80 into force.

The penalties?

This is the worrying thing.

Too many people have assumed that as the road limits are being used, so will the road penalties, leading to people saying "how can they enforce it, we don't have licences to endorse or to be banned".

The penalties are there in black and white, in the 2003 Act;

Unlimited fine or six months imprisonment.