advice please

mucky

Featured Posts

Don't let your fire go out between equinoxes unless you've got enough money to go to the pub when you get home and let the boat warm up!

John, sorry and I know you'll beat me up but... know how to wind properly, if you can touch the end of a winding hole without a bump, even in the wind, then pivot, THEN you know how to wind a boat (here speaks a person who lived on a wooden boat...) if you're carrying 30 tonne of coal it's different. Inch perfect is best. well, maybe two inch.

Good luck, come back; as despite the recent most of us are actually here to help

edit... I didn't mean to repeat myself

don't in boating when there is thick ice about it wrecks your blacking. And just guess who had to reverse a quarter of a mile today because the ice got too thick to push through... Still I'm now getting good at reversing.

When things go wrong, have a cup of tea. Don't start attacking things in a flurry of hammers, mole grips and spanners, because you'll probably make the problem worse. Put the kettle on and consider the problem.

Oh, and the boating world revolves around alcohol, where to buy cheap coal, and toilets.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

cheers folks some great info there to mull over

out of interest i am typing this from my boat on this my first night afloat, had to shunt her around today and even managed not to damage any other boat, well impressed with myself, although i did have a hand in the form of a new mate and poleman lol. the aga type thing is stoked up and i am listing all the things i need to do, hehehe here goes the rest of my life :lol:

You, perhaps, might need to shift some ballast, to counterbalance the aga.

I thought the first version was ok, this version sounds a bit more as though it is serious advice! You'd better hope that smelly isn't away shifting ballast.

Sorry - mucky .....mucky, smelly, wee and poo. What's going on?

Edited by journeyperson

Plan ahead.

Never run out of either beer or tea.

Not only are these essential for your own well-being, they are also essential as bargaining tools whilst attempting the impossible with the mechanical or electrical bits somewhere in the middle of nowhere, as is often the case.

Oh, and don't forget that gas bottles have a left-handed thread. You'd be amazed by some of the stories we've heard...

Lastly, the ultimate boater's rule: when cruising, 11am = pint and poo. You know it makes sense.

i was just wondering about the advice each of you would share if you could just pass on one gem?

Find a rich young lady thats likes narrowboats and doesn't like you getting up in the middle of the night to drive those god damn awful trucks. :lol:

You, perhaps, might need to shift some ballast, to counterbalance the aga. :lol:

He's name dropping - its only a little Wenlock with a fancy badge. :lol:

Don't attempt to pump out the water below your weed hatch.

Don't put the chimney cap one whilst the coals are still glowing, otherwise you'll probably crack the door glass of your stove.

I also advise using 2 centre ropes, keep one at the helm (make sure that it is not so long as to get tangled in the prop), and keep the other ropes end towards the boats bows (pointy end). These are very handy when mooring up.

Don't let either end of your water tank filling hose drop into the cut

When mooring up keep an eye out for barkers eggs (dog shit) and avoid stepping in that disgusting mass/mess!

Keep an eye on the batteries electrolite levels, make sure that the lead plates are never exposed

Also check on your engines anti-freeze concentration, and make sure that is strong enough to give -25° C protection

When there is a chance of the temperature getting below freezing point, and you have to leave the boat, turn on all your water taps (once you have swicthed of the battery isolator), so if it does freeze the expanding water will have somewhere to escape.

Rob

On the canals only, I'd suggest that a boat handling course is perhaps a bit over the top, but a better idea if you plan to use the larger rivers.

My main suggestion (a repeat I admit) is practice coiling and throwing ropes. With practice, you'll be able to throw a rope to 90% of its length - invaluable in an emergency.

Thats ALL your crew - not just yourself. My 10 year olds were taught to do it.

Never JUMP a closing gap. If you can't step it then it's too far to be safe. If you fall in you'll be crushed at best or shredded at wost.

For maximum enjoyment do everything slowly :lol: also do everything on the boat slowly.

Careful with the centre rope use if waiting to come up a lock. Seen more than 1 near capsize when the water from the emptying lock culvert has pushed the bottom of the boat away from the bank whilst the centre rope holds the top near the bank. Aston lock on the T & M is particularly bad for this.

Never run out of water.

Having a qualification is no substitute for having experience. As you already seem to have a reasonable amount of experience I'm not convinced that having a piece of paper to prove this will improve matters.

Im sure you asked for 1 gem but remember there ere 3 types of people - those who can count and those who can't :lol:

Edified 'cos I managed to post the same message twice twice

Edited by pagan witch

Careful with the centre rope use if waiting to come up a lock. Seen more than 1 near capsize when the water from the emptying lock culvert has pushed the bottom of the boat away from the bank whilst the centre rope holds the top near the bank. Aston lock on the T & M is particularly bad for this.

Yep, that happened to us. I had my head in the bilges at the time, tightening the stern gland. It's amazing how quickly you can get out of a boat. My friends setting the lock up heard the shouting and managed to drop the bottom paddles by twisting the gear round with their bare hands and flicking the catches out. Not very good for the paddle gear, maybe, but it made me considerably happier! The watermark was 4" off the exhaust, and it's normally a good foot. Emptied all the cupboards out!

Still trying to work out whether any of the ballast has shifted.

Yep, that happened to us. I had my head in the bilges at the time, tightening the stern gland. It's amazing how quickly you can get out of a boat. My friends setting the lock up heard the shouting and managed to drop the bottom paddles by twisting the gear round with their bare hands and flicking the catches out. Not very good for the paddle gear, maybe, but it made me considerably happier! The watermark was 4" off the exhaust, and it's normally a good foot. Emptied all the cupboards out!

Still trying to work out whether any of the ballast has shifted.

I was always taught that the ONLY time it's acceptable to drop a paddle the easy way is when a boat's in trouble. Less hassle for BW to replace a paddle than to crane a sunk boat out...

Another one for the OP is mind your fingers... I lost the tip of my index finger when we had a boat stuck in a lock, and dropped the paddles, I still don't know quite how it happened, I was halfway back down the lock to make sure all was alright and someone said "what have you done to your hand" very messy!

Still that was my first trip out and I'm still boating 10 years later...

• 3 weeks later...
Always have a spare cassette, especially if it's very cold and the elsan disposal point has frozen again!

:lol:

D

I'd definetely echo that, having been caught with an overflowing pump out in February!