ICE on the Oxford or GU Canal?

gardencoaster

Featured Posts

Hello again, everyone!

It's been a while since I last posted but I have a question for any forum users currently out on the Oxford/ GU Canal between Wigrams Turn and Stretton Stop, including Braunston.

We're due to take the boat out on Sunday but note the deep frosts forecast and the presence of ice in the canal on the one recent photo we have seen taken along our route.

As she's just had her hull freshly blacked, there's no way we want to play "ice breaker" to any extent.

Observations whether navigation is possible in the current conditions and the degree to which these waterways are affected by ice would be very helpful to us when deciding whether or not

to abandon cruising plans.

I see it's going down to -6C overnight at Rugby on Wednesday!

Keep warm, people!

gardencoaster

Hello again, everyone!

It's been a while since I last posted but I have a question for any forum users currently out on the Oxford/ GU Canal between Wigrams Turn and Stretton Stop, including Braunston.

We're due to take the boat out on Sunday but note the deep frosts forecast and the presence of ice in the canal on the one recent photo we have seen taken along our route.

As she's just had her hull freshly blacked, there's no way we want to play "ice breaker" to any extent.

Observations whether navigation is possible in the current conditions and the degree to which these waterways are affected by ice would be very helpful to us when deciding whether or not

to abandon cruising plans.

I see it's going down to -6C overnight at Rugby on Wednesday!

Keep warm, people!

gardencoaster

More than a dozen OwnerShips boats moved from Braunston to Stockton Top marina yesterday (monday) following the OwnerShip show over the weekend. It was very hard going with unbroken ice up 1" to 2" thick between the Puddlebanks and Wigrams.

I suggest you play safe!

I have been keeping a watchful eye the weather situation in the Napton area, as I am intending to visit our boat some time this week. The weather forecast is for mixed sunny/cloudy days all week and well below zero every night.

I would guess from that, and given that much of the route is in open countryside, that there will be quite a bit of ice this week and through the weekend.

Edited by David Schweizer

Braunston this morning TUESDAY was CLEAR of Ice after overnight rain. A bit slushy on the way to top of Stockton. Fine here at the moment. No navigation problems and passed three boats (one ex-Callenger, one shared Gailey-boat, one Ownerships)

Regards

Peter Scott

nb Odyssey

We are planning on leaving Stockton on Saturday morning and heading towards Oxford. Anyone able to tell us if we are likely to have problems with the River Cherwell just above Aynho Lock due to water levels - melting snow etc. We are hoping to get down to Enslow area before winding. Many Thanks

Mac

We are planning on leaving Stockton on Saturday morning and heading towards Oxford. Anyone able to tell us if we are likely to have problems with the River Cherwell just above Aynho Lock due to water levels - melting snow etc. We are hoping to get down to Enslow area before winding. Many Thanks

Mac

Hi

Just read a note posted on the Ownerships forum

Flood warnings from Waterscape.

"River Cherwell

Tuesday 10 February 2009 - Friday 13 February 2009

Due to the snow melting and the rain that has fallen the River Cherwell at Aynho is impassable. The River Cherwell at Shipton-on-weir is impassable. The River Thames at Oxford is displaying 'red boards'."

"Upper Trent in flood

Tuesday 10 February 2009 until further notice

The Upper Trent is currently in flood and high water levels mean that the river is unsuitable for boats.

Flood gates are currently on at Cranfleet Lock"

Hi

Just read a note posted on the Ownerships forum

Flood warnings from Waterscape.

"River Cherwell

Tuesday 10 February 2009 - Friday 13 February 2009

Due to the snow melting and the rain that has fallen the River Cherwell at Aynho is impassable. The River Cherwell at Shipton-on-weir is impassable. The River Thames at Oxford is displaying 'red boards'."

"Upper Trent in flood

Tuesday 10 February 2009 until further notice

The Upper Trent is currently in flood and high water levels mean that the river is unsuitable for boats.

Flood gates are currently on at Cranfleet Lock"

How did you get this info? I have done a search but can't find it!

Braunston this morning TUESDAY was CLEAR of Ice after overnight rain. A bit slushy on the way to top of Stockton. Fine here at the moment. No navigation problems and passed three boats (one ex-Callenger, one shared Gailey-boat, one Ownerships)

Regards

Peter Scott

nb Odyssey

Very welcome news, Peter - thank you so much! More rain forecast for the weekend so one hopes that'll sort out any persisting floes.

Looks like I may get my Gongoozler's Rest breakfast after all!

gardencoaster

Thanks for that. Just seen same on Waterscape. Maybe heading off towards the Ashby then instead. If anyone has anymore info, especially towards the end of the week, it would be much appreciated.

Mac

If you are able to post whilst on the move and are north of Braunston on Saturday, I'd be especially interested in what it's like between Hillmorton and Newbold-on-Avon as we're looking to head up that way ourselves from Monday.

Cheers.

gardencoaster

Very welcome news, Peter - thank you so much! More rain forecast for the weekend so one hopes that'll sort out any persisting floes.

Looks like I may get my Gongoozler's Rest breakfast after all!

gardencoaster

If you are able to post whilst on the move and are north of Braunston on Saturday, I'd be especially interested in what it's like between Hillmorton and Newbold-on-Avon as we're looking to head up that way ourselves from Monday.

Cheers.

gardencoaster

It was frozen solid here at Hillmorton this morning. A boat did break through with some difficulty at about 10:30am. There is still a lot of ice though and sub zero temperatures are forecast for tonight (R4, about 10 mins ago). Outlook for Fri & Sat was cold, grey, possible rain or snow. Luvverly!

Very welcome news, Peter - thank you so much! More rain forecast for the weekend so one hopes that'll sort out any persisting floes......

I would not put too much faith in the projected weather forecast. yesterday afternoon they were all forecasting sun and no rain fror the weekend, this morning they have changed their mind to cloud and rain (except for one which is still forecasting sun for saturday)

I am planning to go up to Napton some time between Friday and Sunday, but will wait until the sky tells me what the weather is going to do, like they used to do in the "old days"!!!!!

What's the latest on the southern part of the Oxford Canal please???

The canal in Oxfordish is fine. We have had Ice on the canal most mornings, but not this morning. The cherwell at Shipton isn't pretty, and I doubt Aynho is passable yet - but the warnings on waterscape should tell you more.

Are you heading down this far?

Bones

Thanks for that. We are hoping to get down to Enslow next week from Stockton, but you are not filling me with confidence about Aynho. There is no rain forecast over the next few days, but I would imagine plenty of snow still to melt. We would be hoping to pass Aynho on Monday. What do you reckon ??? We are leaving home this evening, so any info would be much appreciated. May have to have a re-think and head towards the Ashby instead.

Mac