Drinking water filtration

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm looking to fit a drinking water filter and would like to hear of any that are recommended.

I've looked at ceramic, charcoal, reverse osmosis and UV and combinations of one or the other.

Almost certainly want undersink so it just what's a good model and what's not.

I've got plastic piping if that narrows the field.

Thanks.

GB

Mine is a Springclear. I also had one on my previous boat so I have about 9 years experience of this model. I am quite happy to drink the water that has come through this filter and have never suffered any consequences. That includes the water coming from the 18 year old integral steel tank that had probably never been treated or repainted in ten years.

It also seems to maintain a reasonable flow; some of the ceramics are very restrictive and only practical if put on a seperate tap solely for drinking water.

Mine is a Springclear. I also had one on my previous boat so I have about 9 years experience of this model. I am quite happy to drink the water that has come through this filter and have never suffered any consequences. That includes the water coming from the 18 year old integral steel tank that had probably never been treated or repainted in ten years.

It also seems to maintain a reasonable flow; some of the ceramics are very restrictive and only practical if put on a seperate tap solely for drinking water.

Hi

That looked good but seems to have been discontinued (Tapmate ac200) according to a couple of suppliers.

Filters still available though.

Thanks.

GB

We have had an Aquafilter for about six years, no ill effects yet.

It has connectios which are compatable with Hep20, but does not come with a tap so you have top buy that separately. I got ours in a clearance sale at the local builder's Merchants for a fiver.

Edited by David Schweizer

It has connectios which are compatable with Hep20, but does not come with a tap so you have top buy that separately. I got ours in a clearance sale at the local builder's Merchants for a fiver.

Unless you have been advised otherwise by your local water supply company, there is no need to filter tap water in this country. Even on a boat where the water sits in a static tank for several weeks, the water will have been sufficiently well treated to ensure that it remains safe to drink.

This is looking very good is it the same as yours? http://www.finerfilters.co.uk/index.php?_a...p;productId=316

Mike

Thanks NB Alnwick & Carlt.

If I was to say it's a SWMBO thing - does that give you clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peronally if it hasn't had hops added to it it should be left for fish to swim in. :lol:

This is looking very good is it the same as yours? http://www.finerfilters.co.uk/index.php?_a...p;productId=316

Mike

Peronally if it hasn't had hops added to it it should be left for fish to swim in. :lol:

No it is this one (bottom photo)

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/searchre...Term=aquafilter

That'll do nicely thanks very much for that.

I've got plastic pipes (will check diameter) could they be adapted to fit the 13mm fittings?

Sorry for added question but I've not seen these before so trying to iron out potential hassle when I order one.

Thanks

Mike

I have a fridge full of "spring water" in plastic bottles, for the same reason.

Mines in glass botttles and got Newcastle Brown written on them.

Seriously though just wants to get away from getting screwed every time we buy bottled water from the highland springs of Becton.

Mike

That'll do nicely thanks very much for that.

I've got plastic pipes (will check diameter) could they be adapted to fit the 13mm fittings?

Mike

Here is the spec sheet says it is • Multi-fit ports accept: 1/2"(13mm) I.D. hose, Whale®

• System 15, 15mm JG Speedfit®

• or 15mm Hep2O®

From the research I did last year, I agree that the General Ecology unit is probably the best you can buy. It is however quite expensive to buy and the replacement cartridges are also expensive.

I opted instead to buy a standard 10 inch filter housing for domestic use as there a a wealth of different cartridges available: carbon granules, block carbon, spun poly, string, ceramic, etc. in a range of different grades from 25 micron right down to 1 micron filtration. They are readily available and replacements can be bought from £1.99+. Filter housings can be found on eBay from about £10.

I was able to fit this in the dead space within a corner cupboard so it has not impacted useable storage. The filter was removed this autumn and was quite brown so it is doing its job! This was a 5 micron spun poly type which was only in the feed to the drinking water tap.

I've just added a second housing which I'm going to feed all water through after the pump so even shower and washbasin water is filtered to some degree. I'll use a coarse filter in this housing and then I've got a 1 micron carbon block filter cartrdge for the drinking water tap filter.

I agree with other poster this is not really necessary - but it keeps SMBO from buying bottled water!! ;-)

Recently on one of the "Brainiac - Science Abuse" TV programmes, one of the presenters had to drink his own pee after its having been through a reverse-osmosis device three times.

Whilst the dissolved matter sensor showed that the level of particulate matter was within that deemed fit to drink, it still had a yellow hue and a pee-like odour. The guy swallowed a mouthful and immediately rushed off to throw-up.

Chris

I have used "no filter" for the whole of my life, with no ill effects, so far.

With no consumables to replace, on a regular basis, I can heartily recommend it.

As far as I am concerned it's not just an issue of avoiding ill-effects. I prefer the taste of water that's been through a good filter than that of water straight from the tank or water that's been hanging around in plastic bottles, and I don't mind paying for that.

From the research I did last year, I agree that the General Ecology unit is probably the best you can buy. It is however quite expensive to buy and the replacement cartridges are also expensive.

Yes, they are expensive, but I've only just replaced the filter on the unit I bought a year ago, so they go a long way.

Recently on one of the "Brainiac - Science Abuse" TV programmes, one of the presenters had to drink his own pee after its having been through a reverse-osmosis device three times.

Whilst the dissolved matter sensor showed that the level of particulate matter was within that deemed fit to drink, it still had a yellow hue and a pee-like odour.

Is this a recommended technique for making a cassette toilet last longer between emptyings ?

Hi

I'm looking to fit a drinking water filter and would like to hear of any that are recommended.

I've looked at ceramic, charcoal, reverse osmosis and UV and combinations of one or the other.

Almost certainly want undersink so it just what's a good model and what's not.

I've got plastic piping if that narrows the field.

Thanks.

GB

Have a look at Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101259/Plumbing/Water-Treatment

A whole range of them - with fine or corser filter elements.

I have the standard 10" - £17.00 with a fine carbon filter lasted 4 years up to now

Alex

That explains it! Why not just buy a bottle of proprietary 'pure spring water' and when its empty, refill it from the tap and put it in the fridge.

There are far more important things to spend money on than a water filter.

That explains it! Why not just buy a bottle of proprietary 'pure spring water' and when its empty, refill it from the tap and put it in the fridge.

There are far more important things to spend money on than a water filter.

Our boat came with 2 "Pozzani" water filters on separate taps in the kitchen and bathroom. Never, ever used them (but we do have a stainless steel tank).

You could always make your own "water filter" out of some pipe inside an opaque plastic cylinder. Hey Presto! - Water from the tank goes in one end and "filtered" water comes out the other.

Our boat came with 2 "Pozzani" water filters on separate taps in the kitchen and bathroom. Never, ever used them (but we do have a stainless steel tank).

You could always make your own "water filter" out of some pipe inside an opaque plastic cylinder. Hey Presto! - Water from the tank goes in one end and "filtered" water comes out the other.

Have you got any idea of how much grief I'd get if I was ever found out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it has to be filtered through cut diamonds inside a 24 carat gold cylinder then that's what we shall have :lol:

GB