Live Chat.....

Marc Harris

Featured Posts

I thought i'd dust off the cobwebs in this section of the forum, and post up something that's been swirling around the old grey matter for a while.

As a grey-haired old internet fogey, i regularly use IRC to chat to various groups of people. It's fast, fun, and useful.

I was thinking that some of us CWDF users might get some benefit from an IRC chat room?

Hosting obviously won't cost anything, as we could bung a bot on efnet (or any of the hundreds of others out there) for free that can sort out "ops" for the mods etc.

i think it's a shame that IRC has lost favour to these various instant messaging malarky things, as it's nice to have somewhere you can join when you are feeling chatty and in need of a bit of banter!

Well, over to you lot to decide if it's a useful idea.....

cheers,

Marc :lol:

Marc just set it up and then see who uses it. save the hassle of having a discussion about it before hand on here.

I'd probably use it...

I used to use IRC to chat to canal friends all over the place (including two in Canada) but we found that we would be invaded by a "not nice person" every now and again and we had to pack our bags and move elsewhere. Till we were invaded there too. It didn't happen often but in the last few months we used IRC it happened about 3 times. We then started using SKYPE and although the canal group does not meet so frequently now, some of us still use it now and again. We use the "speak" chat rather than the "type "chat

We found it worked best if we had a time to meet. Say at 9pm on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. Otherwise folk pop in, find no one there and give up.

haggis

I did consider that, but then the politics of "ops" comes into it if it does become busy, so didn't want to tread on anyones toes by doing the bot myself.

If there's no objections from the site crew, then i'm more than happy to set it up and write a guide for the non-techies to get in there :lol:

I used to use IRC to chat to canal friends all over the place (including two in Canada) but we found that we would be invaded by a "not nice person" every now and again and we had to pack our bags and move elsewhere. Till we were invaded there too. It didn't happen often but in the last few months we used IRC it happened about 3 times. We then started using SKYPE and although the canal group does not meet so frequently now, some of us still use it now and again. We use the "speak" chat rather than the "type "chat

We found it worked best if we had a time to meet. Say at 9pm on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. Otherwise folk pop in, find no one there and give up.

haggis

If you choose one of the quieter networks (something obscure like the funcom server) then getting plagued by 10 year old kids or spambots won't be an issue.

The only probs i can see with "speak" chat over "type" chat is bandwidth, and if there's 10+ people chatting at the same time, it can be hard to work out who's saying what (had this issue with a ventrillo server i used to use).

:lol:

Well, as an experiment (and the fact that i'm bored at work!), i've setup a CWDF irc channel on a private network.

For those with an irc client installed, the link is :

irc://fr3ak.is-a-geek.com/cwdf

For those without a client, if you are using firefox, then the ChatZilla addon is probably the easiest to use. Install chatzilla, restart firefox, then paste that link into your firefox address bar.

If there's any objection to me doing this, please pm me, and i'll take the server down.

cheers!

Marc :lol:

#edited as firefox doesn't hyperlink irc:// links....

Edited by Marc Harris

Well, as an experiment (and the fact that i'm bored at work!), i've setup a CWDF irc channel on a private network.

For those with an irc client installed, the link is :

irc://fr3ak.is-a-geek.com/cwdf

For those without a client, if you are using firefox, then the ChatZilla addon is probably the easiest to use. Install chatzilla, restart firefox, then paste that link into your firefox address bar.

KE....!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? please note some of us where brought up with pounds shillings and pence well before the mobile phone and I would luv to know what all the CWDf IRC mularky means can u type using the English language for us dinosaurs please mate ?

Regards

Tim

Edited by Dhutch

KE....!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? please note some of us where brought up with pounds shillings and pence well before the mobile phone and I would luv to know what all the CWDf IRC mularky means can u type using the English language for us dinosaurs please mate ?

Regards

Tim

Sorry, those instructions were just a quick test to see if people could connect, and see if the site crew were happy with the chat idea being there.

Having spoken to Liam, i'll post up some easy to follow instructions so everyone can get in and chat,

Has been a blast today, with Me, Grahoom, Ally, Liam, and Janet having a chat. I think there was a nbtafelberg too at one point?

Will chat more with Liam, and get this thing running..... Virtual Banter anyone??!?!??! :lol:

Marc.

could be fun - as currently land locked with no nb friends :lol:

edit: anyone using 'Pidgin' on a linux system - having never done IRC (?) had a go setting up the aforementioned with Marc's address-thingy didn't quite work!

edit 2: got there using a Gnome 'xchat' - but no one answered back - hahahaha

Edited by bibliotechno

We can also think, talk and breathe at the same time..unlike some!!!

It's an acquired skill.

Go learn!

Janet

Sorry, there should have been a tongue in cheek smiley there!

Edited by Janet S