Non emergency police No:s

johnjo

Featured Posts

For a while there was a 3 digit number ( 111 or 333 ? ) you could ring for non - emergency yet important issues like reporting debris in a road - not sure if it still works or was a trial...

Nick

Apparently central funding has been cut, now there's a suprise, probably because it was a sensible idea and we can't have that can we! :lol:

For a while there was a 3 digit number ( 111 or 333 ? ) you could ring for non - emergency yet important issues like reporting debris in a road - not sure if it still works or was a trial...

Nick

Never heard of that one (even after working in the emergency service for over 30 years). The European standard is 112 for emergency calls (same as 999) and that works in the UK.

An non emergency number for the police :lol:

You should get to see a PCSO in about three months then. :lol:

We have a non emergency number here (Newcastle Upon Tyne) - it's 101

I believe it is still on a trial basis and hasn't gone national yet - but certainly works for us...

We had to use it once when 999 said someone being in our house wasn't an emergency!

I believe it is still on a trial basis and hasn't gone national yet - but certainly works for us...

We had to use it once when 999 said someone being in our house wasn't an emergency!

Yes - I think this was the number for Hampshire as well now you mention it

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I've not had to use 101 yet but even an enquiry to the local station couldn't explain how it works from a mobile phone ie. if I'm on the M6 near Birmingham and dial 101, will I get Hampshire police? Or does it go to Newcastle where most 999 calls are processed then shuffled on from there?

Also, as 999 calls are ignored if nobody speaks (to many calls from handbags I think?) apparently there's a number you have to dial if you can't talk so they know it's a real call. 555 or something?

In case of proper energencies, an increasingly used info system is to store a number in your mobile as 'ICE' - In Case of Emergency so police/ambulance etc know who to call after they've scraped you off the road or whatever, rather than going through your phone list and guessing - they usually then call an obvious name like 'mum' who may not be the first person you want informed!

an enquiry to the local station couldn't explain how it works from a mobile phone ie. if I'm on the M6 near Birmingham and dial 101, will I get Hampshire police?

Why would anyone at the station know that? :lol: Train times to Hampshire maybe... :lol:

Any time you have your mobile with you and turned on, never mind making a call, your network provider (and the cops, government or even your partner if he/she subscribes) can tell where you are within a surprisingly small radius - often less then 50m it seems.

Chris

Why would anyone at the station know that? :lol: Train times to Hampshire maybe... :lol:

Any time you have your mobile with you and turned on, never mind making a call, your network provider (and the cops, government or even your partner if he/she subscribes) can tell where you are within a surprisingly small radius - often less then 50m it seems.

Chris

yep didnt the Russians do that in Afghanistan dropped a missile on some guy they were after after giving him a call on his mobile

?

Nick

The popular press tends to roll various suggestions of non emergency codes from time to time.

They seldom think it through though. Most of the suggestions fail to take into account that any number must work throughout the UK, and that many code combinations are simply not available in all dialing code areas.

Even if one could be found, it needs to be taken into account that ANY three digit code takes out a huge chunk of potential end-user numbers (and in many areas numbers are in short supply). In an area with 6 digit local dialling, you lose 1000 numbers. In a 7 digit areas (011x and 01x1) you lose 10,000 numbers, and in 8 digit areas (02x) 100,000 numbers.

That means, effectively, that the number must begin with a "1" (because local numbers never do, the space is reserved for short codes).

111 can be problematic, and cause phantom dialling.

Ideally another 11x code would be agreed (all 11x codes are "harmonised" across Europe), but CEPT seems incapable of ever agreeing anything.

101 is currently reserved as a "TYPE A" national code, meaning that all operators are required to reserve the code, even if they don't implement it.

I've not had to use 101 yet but even an enquiry to the local station couldn't explain how it works from a mobile phone ie. if I'm on the M6 near Birmingham and dial 101, will I get Hampshire police? Or does it go to Newcastle where most 999 calls are processed then shuffled on from there?

It will work just the same as 999/112 does.

Regardless of which number we call I am somewhat concerned by the general lack of police to respond as evidenced by the following:

At just before 2000 on New Years Eve this year, the son of a friend was driving to pick up some people from the local station for a family party. A BMW (didn't it have to be!) drove at great speed out of a pub car park and 'side swiped ' his car, much to the delight of the customers of the pub who were assembled in the car park. The BMW drove off but fortunately a neighbour was passing and took its number before seeing if the other driver was ok. He was a bit shocked but had had the sense to make notes and draw a sketch map. They phoned the Police, more concerned for any future victims of the BMW driver to be told that they should have contacted their local police station first. They knew that this was not possible as it shut at 1800 as do all local stations inc. the county HQ. They finally phoned the emergency back to be put through to a distant 'response unit' to be told that nothing could be done until the second as tomorrow was a bank holiday!! by which time the BMW would have been torched and the smug lunatic driver had got away. I must stress that this is NOT a knock the police story, it is more a knock 'New Labour' story

It would appear that 101 was not that successful:

http://www.101.gov.uk/101-areas/index.html

Tim

I must stress that this is NOT a knock the police story, it is more a knock 'New Labour' story

Do you really believe that police response was any better under the tories??!!

I know a woman who dialled 999 when confronted on her doorstep by an agressive drunk 'cos her car was in "his" parking space. (Public car park, drunk, parking. All most relevant). She is still waiting for a copper and John Major was prime minister when the call was made.

A new number for the police is a futile gesture given their inability to respond to the current one.

This IS a knock the police story. I feel it is time to recruit a body of men and women tasked with upholding the law, radical I know but since it's not been tried yet, who knows?

This IS a knock the police story. I feel it is time to recruit a body of men and women tasked with upholding the law, radical I know but since it's not been tried yet, who knows?

You will have to retrain them to do that, they are far too busy collecting indirect TAXES.

Ive often thought there should be a national non-emergancy number.

I dont know what the numbers are, but i would imagine that often there are 999 call operators free, becuase they have to have enough that theres never a waiting time.

Who knows. Several times ive wished to report and incident to the police, that wasnt an emegancy, but was something they should proberbly know, but not known the example.

- Ive also once phone 999 when its not really been an emergancy as such, but something that needed something done fairly soon and i didnt know who to ring. It was late night, damp out, and a car had droped its oil on a bend onto a bridge. Driver was still there with the car and no phone but i nearly came of the bend and clearly it needed some sand on it or somthing before some came of and went over/into the bridge.

Daniel

Do you really believe that police response was any better under the tories??!!

I know a woman who dialled 999 when confronted on her doorstep by an agressive drunk 'cos her car was in "his" parking space. (Public car park, drunk, parking. All most relevant). She is still waiting for a copper and John Major was prime minister when the call was made.

A new number for the police is a futile gesture given their inability to respond to the current one.

Your quite right, its nothing new having slow response times, Many times we've wished being able to open that magic box and pull out another constable.

Most people dont realise that there isnt an inexhaustable supply of officers, once they are all assigned and dealing, then thats ya lot, the calls queue up and get stacked in order of priority. you may be lucky and have someone assigned to report your burglary but if a 999 calls comes out after it, they will be diverted to the 'emer call'

Couple this with the level of paperwork now involved in the simplest of jobs and your thin blue line gets thinner and thinner, all in the name of progress and accountability.

As for recruiting a body of men and women tasked with upholding the law.......ill let a few of the names on the Mets roll of honour speak for itself

PC Raymond Henry Summers

Died 14 December 1958, aged 23

Stabbed in the back and killed when intervening in a street affray

D/Sgt Raymond William Purdy

Died 13 July 1959, aged 43

Shot dead while detaining a wanted man he had chased and arrested

PC Edward Roy Dorney

Died 1 January 1960, aged 34

Killed with his police dog when hit by a train while tracking suspects

and more recent

WPC Jane Philippa Arbuthnot

Died 17 December 1983, aged 22

Sgt Noel Joseph Lane

Died 17 December 1983, aged 28

Insp Stephen John Dodd

Died 24 December 1983, aged 34

All fatally injured in an explosion while investigating a terrorist car bomb

WPC Yvonne Joyce Fletcher

Died 17 April 1984, aged 25

Fatally shot by terrorists whilst policing a political demonstration

PC Philip Michael Olds QGM

Died 1 October 1986, aged 34

Shot and paralysed attempting an arrest in 1980, leading to his death

PC Laurence Peter Brown

Died 28 August 1990, aged 27

Shot dead with a sawn-off shotgun as he approached a suspect

PC Patrick Dunne

Died 20 October 1993, aged 44

Shot dead while investigating the sound of gunfire in the street

PC Phillip John Walters

Died 18 April 1995, aged 28

Shot and fatally wounded during a violent struggle to arrest a man

PC Nina Alexandra MacKay

Died 24 October 1997, aged 25

Fatally stabbed after forcing entry to a flat to arrest a wanted man

PC Kulwant Singh Sidhu

Died 25 October 1999, aged 24

Killed when he fell through a glass skylight while pursuing suspects

PC Christopher David Roberts

Died 26 December 2007, aged 47

Died of heart failure after arresting a violent man at a domestic disturbance

And thats a very small sample with a similar story across the UK forces...sorry, i mean services.

I'm sorry salty, I never meant to belittle the courage and devotion to duty of the individual officer. There is an institutional problem with the police that leaves the public feeling let down and unsupported. The copper on the street is in my experience almost invariably the right person in the right place, now all that needs sorting is to get them there at the right time.

I'm sorry salty, I never meant to belittle the courage and devotion to duty of the individual officer. There is an institutional problem with the police that leaves the public feeling let down and unsupported. The copper on the street is in my experience almost invariably the right person in the right place, now all that needs sorting is to get them there at the right time.

Trouble is I agree with most of your points but did feel I had to reply to that one :lol: