HOW MUCH???

Athy

Featured Posts

The new edition of Canal Boat mag arrived yesterday, including a feature on a narrowboat called Fenchurch. Now this boat's a beauty: 60 foot, Norton Canes shell (I am told that they are the Rolls-Royce of shells, except that they are still British-owned), handsome joinery and plenty of it, lots of extras such as a generator, proper engine, good quality paint job. But before you dash off to place your order with Mr. Edgson, look at the price.

£179,000.

That works out at £3,000 per foot, give or take a few pence. Even for a luxurious craft, this is jaw-droppingly steep. Is it a record? Has anyone spotted a dearer boat for sale? Less likely, does anyone out there own a boat which cost more per foot to build?

Not even mine beats that.

60k when new 25ft so thats only £2400 per foot.

A bargain then :lol:

Dunno, you may beat out that other boat. Yes you paid less per foot, but I'd venture a guess your 25 foot isn't packed with cabinets and luxury living space. Of course the main value of your boat lies in the 4 foot or so of the engine compartment.

I know that Whitefield is reputed to be the most expensive narrowboat ever, at £200k plus...

I think Fenchurch is nice. I love the engine, and I love the controls. I love the sheer quality of the craftsmanship and the shell... but I don't love the boat. It's too "Wooden Boxy" for me, too much pale wood. High quality though the shell may be, it's pretending to be something it isn't.

If I had that sort of money, I'd buy an actual, genuine Josher, and have it refitted. Yes, it would have all the inherent problems of an old boat, but it would be the Real Thing. Am I being too much of a purist? Probably. But, for me, the real thing has something that any high-quality replica doesn't have. It has the history attached to it.

I would guess that many Sunseekers would beat that.

Richard

Actually there is a 70 footer for £2.8 million. So your right on that one.

Dunno, you may beat out that other boat. Yes you paid less per foot, but I'd venture a guess your 25 foot isn't packed with cabinets and luxury living space. Of course the main value of your boat lies in the 4 foot or so of the engine compartment.

You are right on that one. What cabinets there are are excellent quality just not many of them.

I know that Whitefield is reputed to be the most expensive narrowboat ever, at £200k plus...

I think Fenchurch is nice. I love the engine, and I love the controls. I love the sheer quality of the craftsmanship and the shell... but I don't love the boat. It's too "Wooden Boxy" for me, too much pale wood. High quality though the shell may be, it's pretending to be something it isn't.

If I had that sort of money, I'd buy an actual, genuine Josher, and have it refitted. Yes, it would have all the inherent problems of an old boat, but it would be the Real Thing. Am I being too much of a purist? Probably. But, for me, the real thing has something that any high-quality replica doesn't have. It has the history attached to it.

It would also have CHARACTER, something money can't buy.

Edited by johnjo

WHITEFIELD---00119.jpg

Should have had radar fitted by the looks of it. Or had it calibrated if they're using it.

The new edition of Canal Boat mag arrived yesterday, including a feature on a narrowboat called Fenchurch. Now this boat's a beauty: 60 foot, Norton Canes shell (I am told that they are the Rolls-Royce of shells, except that they are still British-owned), handsome joinery and plenty of it, lots of extras such as a generator, proper engine, good quality paint job. But before you dash off to place your order with Mr. Edgson, look at the price.

£179,000.

Mr. Edgson didn't get anywhere near that for the boat, most of the money was in the fit-out. As it's a bespoke boat, the owners decided that they wanted exactly what they wanted, and they went for a pretty complex electrical system. Add to that a vintage engine and that is where the extra cost is.

WHITEFIELD---00119.jpg

Should have had radar fitted by the looks of it. Or had it calibrated if they're using it.

The more I look at that the more awful it gets and that's from someone who isn't even a great fan of normal narrowboats.

I am all for anybody having built exactly what they want and we have built some "beauties" to do just that, but that thing just looks awful there isn't anything else that comes to mind.

I wonder how much it would sell for today? I would guess they would struggle to get £80K based on knowing what happened to a number of other "concept" boats.

The more I look at that the more awful it gets and that's from someone who isn't even a great fan of normal narrowboats.

I am all for anybody having built exactly what they want and we have built some "beauties" to do just that, but that thing just looks awful there isn't anything else that comes to mind.

I wonder how much it would sell for today? I would guess they would struggle to get £80K based on knowing what happened to a number of other "concept" boats.

Bloody awful looks like something these modern architects dreamt up like these multi coloured buildings that are being thrown up every were

£179,000.

That works out at £3,000 per foot, give or take a few pence. Even for a luxurious craft, this is jaw-droppingly steep. Is it a record? Has anyone spotted a dearer boat for sale? Less likely, does anyone out there own a boat which cost more per foot to build?

The quality of NCD hulls speaks volumes for the company, if the owner then decides to fit out to the extreme then its their choice. At least the boat looks good. At leat their boat doesnt look like a second hand greyhound yankee bus top glued to a hull designed by martians...... :lol:

I think what people don't get is that "Gin Palace" looks and prices work in the lumpy water market because if nothing else that's the way it's always been, I suspect its partially because the boat is part of the "complete package" to some people and the play thing can be used in some pretty exotic locations.

A ditch crawler on the UK's run down ditch network most certainly doesn't tick the right boxes, but over and over again the lets start from a blank sheet of paper approach with a huge budget keep coming along.

I don't know the exact details of the boat but it does seem very well put together but other than that it just strikes me to be the product of a very large budget. Does it actually feature anything that special or is it just full of the toys and features that are readily available if you have the budget to indulge in them?

Edited by Gary Peacock

Can certainly vouch for the quality and style of Graham Edgson's boats. We looked long and hard at shell builders when we had Jasmine built and really wanted one of Graham's shells, but couldn't get the logisicts of when he could build us a shell, when the engine would be ready (reconditioned Russel Newbery DM2) and the fit out to work together.

So rather reluctantly, we had a shell built elsewhere that incorporated may of our requirements - which it turned out - were typical of a Norton Canes shell and why we liked Graham's boats so much. Net result four and a bit years ago, the boat came out at something like £2200 per foot, but is everything we could ever dream of having.

And entirely agree about these dreadful "designer" boats that keep appearing!

Kevin

£179,000.

Maybe I am missing something but I read the articleand wasn't that impressed. OK good shell, trad engine but it still seems like about 100K too much to me!