Bike Rack to Fit a Cruiser Stern

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Hello,

I've been looking out for some sort of bicycle rack that can be fixed to the back of our boat but haven't been able to find anything suitable. We've got a cruiser stern with a metal rail round the back and a wooden plank across it which acts as a seat, and we need some sort of sturdy bike rack that will store Kev's bike ideally behind the tiller. Also Kev would be lifting his bike on and off it every day and it'd be great if we could still be able to cruise when the rack and bike are attached to the boat.

Something that bolts-on would probably be ideal to avoid welding or drilling through the steel. (Although the wooden seat could be drilled if need be - but I suspect it's situated a bit too far forward to be of much use)

Has anyone seen anything in the shops that could solve our problem?

Thanks.

http://www.boatstogo.co.uk/narrowboats/14/page14.html

The ad says 'two bike rack welded to stern' but no pic, there is an email address though, so might get a pic and info through that.

Hope that helps.

John

Edited to add, couple of big 'S' hooks hung off the stern and some Bungies might do in the meantime.

Edited by johnjo

The usual solution often involves using the style of bike rack that is intended to stand up from a mount that fits between a car tow bar and tow ball.

The problem with that though, is it needs to be attached to the top of the back of your counter. I don't know where yours is, but that forms the outside of the diesel tank on many boats, so simply drilling through and bolting on is seldom an option, unfortunately. I've heard conflicting advice about welding to the outside of a diesel tank, but it may be possible.

If cruising with a bike hung from the back, then they are a surprisingly wide item, even if hung exactly centrally. They'll be well inside the 7 foot profile of the boat whilst pointed in a straight line, but if you let your boat go diagonal across the broad locks, then wheels or handlebars may start to contact lock walls.

It's a shame there aren't better options for full sized bikes on narrow boats, but is probably the reason for the widespread appeal of small (but often expensive) folders, like Brompton, Dahon, etc.

Hi

I've got 2 hoolies who want their bikes onboard this year so I'm interested as well.

For bolt on jobs try:- http://formula4.co.uk/4x4accessories.html put bike rack in their search

OR :- http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/Racks/wall_storage.html which is for wall storage but could work - need to check tiller clearance etc.

OR (excuse the term) a strap on:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carrier-Fixing-Max...y/dp/B000R9ZKFO

Hello,

I've been looking out for some sort of bicycle rack that can be fixed to the back of our boat but haven't been able to find anything suitable. We've got a cruiser stern with a metal rail round the back and a wooden plank across it which acts as a seat, and we need some sort of sturdy bike rack that will store Kev's bike ideally behind the tiller. Also Kev would be lifting his bike on and off it every day and it'd be great if we could still be able to cruise when the rack and bike are attached to the boat.

Something that bolts-on would probably be ideal to avoid welding or drilling through the steel. (Although the wooden seat could be drilled if need be - but I suspect it's situated a bit too far forward to be of much use)

Has anyone seen anything in the shops that could solve our problem?

Thanks.

Hi

What ever you hang the bikes on beyond the stern you will have to be careful with them.

Coming out of locks ect already puts your stern near to immovable objects - you will have to watch the wheels at all times.

Alex

I know BSP specifically said she wanted to avoid welding, but a previous post questioned whether welding to the outside of the diesel tank is possible. It is. Caggy's welded a towbar bracket to the arse on my (semi-trad) boat and I don't think they drained the tank. If they did, Ralph very kindly put it all back again free of charge. I wouldn't discount welding out of hand, if you can find someone as good as, or can get to, Caggys then it may be a cheaper option than getting an off-the-shelf solution designed to fit something else.

We got one of these to carry our bikes on the back of the car.

Have to admit that I haven't tried it on the back of a boat, but loading/unloading the bikes onto anything like this would be a challenge! When loading from the stern deck, you'd need to lift the bike out onto the end of the arms - this could be a good couple of feet.

Not sure how you could put something onto the back of the boat without welding something on - the weight you'd be talking about holding would not be insignificant.

Explains why well decks and roof's are common locations to see bikes on boats

I've heard conflicting advice about welding to the outside of a diesel tank, but it may be possible.

I watched an experienced boat builder weld up a leak in a diesel tank whilst diesel was running out of the hole he was welding up.

Gibbo

I watched an experienced boat builder weld up a leak in a diesel tank whilst diesel was running out of the hole he was welding up.

Gibbo

This is like the old folk tale about the experienced garage hand chucking his tab-end into a bucket of diesel - it goes out.

However, you'd be lucky to find a business willing to accept this 'unsafe' practice these days.

Regarding the problem of bike sticky-outy bits being vulnerable, one possibility might be to go for a bike with quickly-detachable wheels. Taking the front wheel off makes it a lot shorter, ie less wide when mounted across the stern of the boat.

This is like the old folk tale about the experienced garage hand chucking his tab-end into a bucket of diesel - it goes out.

However, you'd be lucky to find a business willing to accept this 'unsafe' practice these days.

Regarding the problem of bike sticky-outy bits being vulnerable, one possibility might be to go for a bike with quickly-detachable wheels. Taking the front wheel off makes it a lot shorter, ie less wide when mounted across the stern of the boat.

Or hang it vertically, diagonally, on its side or upside down - maybe a bit of lateral thinking will present a solution.

Edited by global gypsy

I have just had a towball fitted (bolted on so removable) behind the tiller arm, that extends to the end of the big fender. I have got a tow ball bike carrier, and intend to remove one or both wheels of the bike when it's on the boat.

Not put it all together yet, so might not work........ but I think it will! (Hope so anyway!!)

Will let you know :lol:

Edited by Mary P

• 7 years later...

We have two straight bars welded to the taff bar. With two short uprights at the boat end to hold the bike(s)

We recently brought our bikes back to the boat and duly placed them on the rack. Witching a day we took them off and they are now on the roof. Too much hassle watching them and avoiding damage.

My opinion.

Captain Fizz of this parish, made ours and welded it to the back of the boat for us, very reasonable price and it works a treat for us. It also doubles as the holder for my wirly gig cloths line clapping.gif

post-20365-0-22234700-1466865183_thumb.jpg

post-20365-0-80843100-1466865537_thumb.jpg

post-20365-0-29389700-1466865904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bettie Boo

I was thinking of getting 2 meters of 2 inch aluminium 10mm banding and making a u shape bolted to the rear stern centre section.

Easy to bend in a vice.

I am in the same boat as you (well almost)

Edited by Greylady2