Running engines at midnight!!

Teakbank12

Featured Posts

At the risk of going off topic, I needed a 'secret question' to join a web site and the question I chose was "Name a mythical character". I answered 'Jesus'.

Some time later, having forgotten my password I rang the help line. He was friendly enough until we got to the secret question and answer part of the conversation when it rapidly went downhill. For some reason he wasn't quite as nice to me after that.

Still can't work it out :lol:

Six pages so far and still no answer to the age old question, should God run his engine at midnight? Religious belief is understandable because without heaven the prospects are bleak and for someone whose life is hard and bleak heaven is all they have to look forward to. Have you noticed that the most god fearing and devout people are the poorest people around the world; in Africa, South America, Asia, whatever faith they fear God and pray hard and they are the ones with the most evidence around them that no-one is listening.

Six pages so far and still no answer to the age old question, should God run his engine at midnight?

God should abide by the rules, like every other imaginary creature and switch off at 8pm.

Being a deity doesn't give you the divine right to break the rules (or does it?).

At the risk of going off topic,

:lol:

Religious belief is understandable because without heaven the prospects are bleak and for someone whose life is hard and bleak heaven is all they have to look forward to.

What was that about opium again?

Now remaining off topic me an Bagpuss are Pagans, that means that we worship seasons and celebrate life in general, upon which we can and do stand. Admittedly some folk do believe in gods, although reading between the lines most are anthropomorphisms of various forces which is the reading I like. Granted wars have been waged but most were territorial so... is all religion necessarily that bad?

Oh and, at a push I'll run my engine past 8, but only if I have to, and again only on full moon!

Edited by Smelly

Getting back on topic, what I find so sad is the way we have developed into a selfish and uncaring community. It wasn't always that way.

In the current weather conditions (-12 degrees Centigrade or around 20 degrees Fahrenheit here at Cropredy just now) I would be more than sympathetic if someone needed to start their engine or noisy heating system in order to keep warm.

If everyone behaved in a caring manner and showed consideration for their neighbours and other canal users, we wouldn't need rules forbidding the operation of engines between 8 pm and 8 am. Even so there are exceptions to that rule and, if someone does need to start their engine out of hours I am more than prepared to accept that they have an otherwise insurmountable problem and therefore are deserving of my understanding - perhaps even my help.

:lol:

What was that about opium again?

Now remaining off topic me an Bagpuss are Pagans, that means that we worship seasons and celebrate life in general, upon which we can and do stand. Admittedly some folk do believe in gods, although reading between the lines most are anthropomorphisms of various forces which is the reading I like. Granted wars have been waged but most were territorial so... is all religion necessarily that bad?

Oh and, at a push I'll run my engine past 8, but only if I have to, and again only on full moon!

But who do you say a quick prayer to when you turn the water on the new plumbing

Getting back on topic, what I find so sad is the way we have developed into a selfish and uncaring community. It wasn't always that way.

In the current weather conditions (-12 degrees Centigrade or around 20 degrees Fahrenheit here at Cropredy just now) I would be more than sympathetic if someone needed to start their engine or noisy heating system in order to keep warm.

If everyone behaved in a caring manner and showed consideration for their neighbours and other canal users, we wouldn't need rules forbidding the operation of engines between 8 pm and 8 am. Even so there are exceptions to that rule and, if someone does need to start their engine out of hours I am more than prepared to accept that they have an otherwise insurmountable problem and therefore are deserving of my understanding - perhaps even my help.

I wouldn't disagree with that for one moment Graham, but let's be honest, most of the time people who create this intrusive disturbance are not frozen in or suffering some emergency, they just don't give a toss about anyone else.

I wouldn't disagree with that for one moment Graham, but let's be honest, most of the time people who create this intrusive disturbance are not frozen in or suffering some emergency, they just don't give a toss about anyone else.

That is part of my point - we need to get back to the days when people on the cut were considerate and cared about each other instead of always putting themselves first.

That is part of my point - we need to get back to the days when people on the cut were considerate and cared about each other instead of always putting themselves first.

But back in those days, people knew each other and depended on each other for survival (and procreation but that's another topic). It's easier to ignore the plight/comfort of a stranger than someone you have to face up to in the near future.

Not saying it's right, just saying how it is.

I think I just saw a pig fly by my window.............

You old cynic :lol: . There are many kind, considerate and helpful people out there on the cut. There are also some grumpy ratbags as well. The same is true on land. But I still get a stronger sense of community, or whatever you want to call it, out there on the cut.

But who do you say a quick prayer to when you turn the water on the new plumbing

Poseidon of course! Although, having been involved in keeping a few items from his grip I feel he's not too keen on me...

I'm not going to buy into the engine running thing again other than to say, sod it if you're nice you'll ASK someone to turn off, and live with a credible and decent explanation if they can't. I'm in Graham's camp. There are tales of people who frankly have taken the urine and deserve to be chastised however on our mooring some people, through no choice of their own, can't. "Been made redundant? Can't work sociable hours to keep your licence and moorings paid and hence can't get home 'til 10pm? Sell your boat then!" Nah, not me.

Those poor hirers that were the origin of the OP didn't have much choice, so they saw it, and I'd most likley have knocked, especially past 10ish and, yet again, either suggested a better solution I could help with or lived with it.

You old cynic :lol: . There are many kind, considerate and helpful people out there on the cut. There are also some grumpy ratbags as well. The same is true on land. But I still get a stronger sense of community, or whatever you want to call it, out there on the cut.

The two are not mutually exclusive!

I am a grumpy ratbag, and proud of it! There are far to many people taking, taking, taking, and I will have none of it.

There are also people that we should cut some slack, because they aren't taking the piss.

Yes, of course you did. It is nothing that I haven't said before.

With no sarcasm whatsoever in my hand I'll say I've missed that, however I've been avoiding engine running threads for fear of sharpening my pariah status after last time!