cruising in march

OGGDOG

Featured Posts

Thinking of hirering a boat in march possibly on the llangollen, anyone done this and what would it be like holidaying in march

Did the top bit in April, hardly saw another boat moving - expect it to be chilly though!

Some photos:

http://www.pbase.com/timlewis/llangollen_canal_april_2008

Tim

Watch what time you arrive at Llangollen. It is expensive if you arrive late. 4hrs free if you arrive before midday as I seem to remember

Sue

I refuse to pay and leave before 4 PM. I don't mind paying to moor in a marina but not on the towing path. Thin end of the wedge.

Brian

Watch what time you arrive at Llangollen. It is expensive if you arrive late. 4hrs free if you arrive before midday as I seem to remember

Sue

I wouldn't say it was that expensive. Only £6 and very handy for water and power.

Sue

Last time I was in Llangollen in March (2007) they didn't start charging until the end on March. No power on the moorings though.

I think it is a fair price for mooring in the Marina, with water and electricity included: most marinas charge a similar amount for similar facilities. But I do not agree with having to pay to moor on the towpath, whether facilities are availabe or not!

Hi

Not sure on the dates you are looking at in March, but looking at the stoppages there is on at Stoppage: Hurleston Flight Lock 1, 3 and 4,New Marton Lock 1 and 2 and Grindley Brook Lock 4 and 6 all scheduled 5th Jan to March 13th

You can check them at www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Mooring fees at Llangollen, we felt the fee at teh marina was worth if for a quite mooring with both power and water

Have a great trip, we might also be heading that way in March, in our opinion one of the best canals on the network

Nigel

Just returned from a little sojourn to Wrenbury and back to Swanley to let in the new year - the Llangollen cut is just so pretty and with the freezing fog and snow, around every bend was another Christmas card photo opportunity...the boys loved cracking the ice to get the boat out of the mooring!!

We quite happily paid at llangollen. Boat that arrived at the same time refused so turned and moored off the moorings. When we saw them again the lady said, she was fuming, because her hubby wouldnt stop, she had to drag all her washing back to llangollen to the launderette, cost her £14. Plus lots of inconvenience. She had an automatic on board she could have used with power. Seems to me like £6 was cheaper.

Hi

We went last March after the lock was opened at Grindley. Really enjoyed it despite the gale force weather.

Llangollen town was lovely, there is a real narrow bit on the approach to the town though, there is a sign on saying you must stop and check for boats coming the other way and it is advised to send someone ahead to warn of approaching boats, I must admit I was worried about meeting another boat, hate to think what it's like in summer or a bank holiday.

March is a good time to go as it's spring equinox so day/night is about 12hrs a piece by then. Hope you enjoy it.

Kev

hate to think what it's like in summer or a bank holiday.

We quite often go for a run out on the bike to Llangollen. I have to admit, grudgingly, that we sometimes walk up the 'narrows' for its entertainment value. THe first narrow bit as you approach Llangollen is not so bad as you have sight and there are a couple of passing places. The second bit is not the same as it is longer, unsighted and no passing places. Arguments about who should back up are not uncommon. Yet it is so easy to send someone a couple of hundred yards ahead to check it is clear and to warn any approaching boats, especially with mobile phones (we use PRM radios if on the boat).

Many people would like tyo blame 'ignorant hire-boaters' but I would like to emphasies that the ones most likely to steam in with arrogance setting on full are the load shiny-boaters.!

We quite often go for a run out on the bike to Llangollen. I have to admit, grudgingly, that we sometimes walk up the 'narrows' for its entertainment value. THe first narrow bit as you approach Llangollen is not so bad as you have sight and there are a couple of passing places. The second bit is not the same as it is longer, unsighted and no passing places. Arguments about who should back up are not uncommon. Yet it is so easy to send someone a couple of hundred yards ahead to check it is clear and to warn any approaching boats, especially with mobile phones (we use PRM radios if on the boat).

Many people would like tyo blame 'ignorant hire-boaters' but I would like to emphasies that the ones most likely to steam in with arrogance setting on full are the load shiny-boaters.!

I work on the principle of "just steaming in". If I meet a crew member who has come ahead from another boat, I ask them where there boat is. If it seems likely that they entered the narrows berfore I did, then I am perfectly happy to reverse back out again and can usually achieve this before the other boat has arrived if their crew member is well ahead. If their boat has not yet entered the narrows, they can ask the boat to wait for me as I am already well advanced into the narrows.

On the other hand, if the other boat has not sent someone ahead, then they can hardly complain at me for acting in the same way, and the simple principle applies of who can most easily or most quickly back up. If the other boat cannnot easily back up then I am always happy to do so.