New marinas

dor

Featured Posts

I've heard there is a marina planned for the Shroppie in the Market Drayton area but information its little more than tow path twitterings as far as I know. :lol:

Edited to say there appears to be one planned for Soudley but it's not exactly 'near' Market Drayton

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Typical Saltford people. Load of stuck up toffs.

:lol:

I agree but I would like to see a bit more competition instead of the price cartell they all run.

Absolutely not true; you're not trying hard enough, the two marinas within spitting distance of Avoncliffe Aqueduct are far cheaper than on-line moorings, but are picky about customers.

Don't make assumptions in a public place - marina owners also watch these forums and comments like yours put their backs up as you surmise, they live in a world of private enterprise, selling an in-demand product and can choose their customers. Try again and keep trying .....

I'm not trying to upset you but you are looking for a private mooring in a small world and making assertions of which you have no proof. For information the prices in a marina near BoA are loosely matched to the online moorings and I suspect that the other does similar. There are online moorings available in the area, watch Waterscape; they come in fits and starts, some long in length, some short. You just have to be alert and not expect it to fall into your lap instantly ......

Absolutely not true; you're not trying hard enough, the two marinas within spitting distance of Avoncliffe Aqueduct are far cheaper than on-line moorings, but are picky about customers.

Don't make assumptions in a public place - marina owners also watch these forums and comments like yours put their backs up as you surmise, they live in a world of private enterprise, selling an in-demand product and can choose their customers. Try again and keep trying .....

I'm not trying to upset you but you are looking for a private mooring in a small world and making assertions of which you have no proof. For information the prices in a marina near BoA are loosely matched to the online moorings and I suspect that the other does similar. There are online moorings available in the area, watch Waterscape; they come in fits and starts, some long in length, some short. You just have to be alert and not expect it to fall into your lap instantly ......

Perhaps you can let me know by PM the marinas you are talking about, I would like to know how many vacancies they have and the prices.

Thanks

doesn't look very full to me.

I am trying to find winter moorings in GU southland with no joy, would love hook up but have only found one berth at £350 p month for a 70ft.

Somebody quoted me £300 for online with no facilities at all. (but he has wires in the ground ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If anyone is aware of any spaces south of MK to Hemel, I would be grateful of info

What is needed is a range of provision especially the cheaper end of the market because otherwise a lot of people will be forced off the water especially pensioners. I would be prepared to mooch about rather than give up and be forced out, I dont mind anyone being better off than me but in a modern civilised country there must be adequate provision made for the less well off too.
It's very sad, but true,, that really in modern dog eat dog society,no one will give a tuppeny damn for you .Money & power talk & our 'Careing,New Labour' government are just as bad......expect no help /sympathy from anyone...duck & dive & live off your own wits is all the advice I can offer :lol:

We frequently hear about the shortage of moorings, and as a result BW are intent on seeing a large number of new marinas built and support the applications regardless.

Here in South Cheshire we had a new marina at Swanley for 350 boats opened a couple of years ago. Another one for 160 boats a few miles away is opening shortly and another one near Chester, for 350 boats, is also due to open in the first part of 2009. A marina proposal for another 350 boats at Wrenbury has been withdrawn following huge local opposition and another application is currently being considered for a marina for 160 boats a few miles away near Audlem.

The existing Swanley marina is not full.

When people say there is a demand for moorings, I think two factors need to be taken into consideration; location and cost. I daresay in Oxfordshire for instance, there would be a good demand for marinas. As for cost, I currently pay just over £1000 per year (including prompt payment discount) for an offside online mooring near Nantwich. A mooring at Swanley would have been nearly £3000. I find it difficult to believe that there is a demand for another 600 berths in this area at those sort of prices. Perhaps the increased competition will see the price of berths drop significantly, however this will put the viability of the marinas under pressure.

If the marina at Audlem goes ahead (and there is enormous local opposition to it, not least because the developers have lied through their teeth in the application) BW will remove all the present online moorings at Audlem. I can only see this increasing bridge-hopping as people who would pay for a moderate cost mooring will baulk at paying marina prices.

So what do we think? Is the demand for marinas being overplayed?

There is a two year waiting list for Ashwood Basin. A planned marina at Hinksford, further up the Staff & Worcs, is the object of furious local opposition.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Nat eveerybody's happy with new Marinas:

http://www.lamag.org.uk/

Tim

I've just had a drive through the village on Streetview and the village hall appears to be on the southern edge of the village next to the canal near the road bridge. I'm guessing that the proposed marina is outside the village beyond the hall. There's a restaurant, Fleur de Lys, but not much else to draw people into the village which seems very spread out anyway I couldn't see a church, pub or shops.

So with a bit of good landscaping nobody will see it from 150 yards away and nobody will bother the residents.

I've just had a drive through the village on Streetview and the village hall appears to be on the southern edge of the village next to the canal near the road bridge. I'm guessing that the proposed marina is outside the village beyond the hall. There's a restaurant, Fleur de Lys, but not much else to draw people into the village which seems very spread out anyway I couldn't see a church, pub or shops.

So with a bit of good landscaping nobody will see it from 150 yards away and nobody will bother the residents.

It's below the bottom lock at Lowsonford, on the towpath side I think

Richard

I was interested to read in the LAMAG blurb that they believe that there will be a serious risk of parties on boats and an increased risk of burglary in the village.

Damn, I was hoping that my all night partying and light-fingered habits would be a benefit to any nice rural community!

It's below the bottom lock at Lowsonford, on the towpath side I think

Richard

Tim is right. Its below the Village hall on the offside, opposite the permit moorings. 100 boats, 30 car spaces and road access down a narrow single track road. Lot of nimbyism in the village but they have some very valid antagonism as well. Interesting point for w/end boaters is that current winding holes are at Preston Bagot and Kingswood both 2 miles away + 7 and 10 locks!

Tim is right. Its below the Village hall on the offside, opposite the permit moorings. 100 boats, 30 car spaces and road access down a narrow single track road. Lot of nimbyism in the village but they have some very valid antagonism as well. Interesting point for w/end boaters is that current winding holes are at Preston Bagot and Kingswood both 2 miles away + 7 and 10 locks!

And?

Are weekend boaters not allowed to travel 2 miles?

And?

Are weekend boaters not allowed to travel 2 miles?

Of course they can.

However, our "keep the batteries sort of charged" trip is a Sunday afternoon to Kingswood and back. That's about a three hour trip with no locks. To do the same from Lowsonford is 2 miles and seven or ten locks, best part of a day either way. It discourages people from keeping up a casual use of a boat.

Of course, it all depends what you want from a boat

Richard

Edited by RLWP