Happy yule

Smelly

Featured Posts

Yippie I am really appreciating the need for more light in the evenings, what with cycling home and having the boat. recently been waking up in the dark and getting home when it's dark.

happy yule.

What was explained to me yesterday by my farmer friend , is that for the next couple of weeks the evenings will not get any lighter but the mornings will. I tried to find the joke but apparently its true. Can anybody confirm this ?

What was explained to me yesterday by my farmer friend , is that for the next couple of weeks the evenings will not get any lighter but the mornings will. I tried to find the joke but apparently its true. Can anybody confirm this ?

Yes, it is an effect known as the "Equation of time", which means that Solar time (as shown on sundials, and observed in the setting and rising of the sun) varies by about 14 minutes either side of clock time.

It has the effect that around the solstice, where the changes in day length are slowest, the changes in the equation of time tend to compensate for increasing day length.

So, for a few days after the solstice, sunset continues to get earlier, whilst sunrise shifts earlier faster than might be expected, the sunset recovers to its solstice time, before accelerating away.

The change is certainly not symmetrical but I am sure it changes equally at both ends.. The elliptical orbit of the Earth.

This website showing sunrise and sunset times suggest it's the other way around. While sunset gets later, sunrise also continues to get later for a few days. The additional daylight isn't much to start with, but gets longer quite quickly.

Quite right. Can never remember which way round it is!

Notice that sunset turned the corner well before the solstice (10-13 Dec), whilst sunrise will get later for a couple of days yet.

That site shows the equation of time as the time of solar noon

Woke this morning to a flock of small gulls (not sure which ones) flying rings around the marina really low over the boats, a beautiful orange pink sunrise and a kingfisher fishing from the pontoon by mine.

Felt almost magical, I think the birds seemed to be celebrating.

Right, thats quite enough hippie from me for one day....

...which is why my sundial is always right, whereas the clock isn't.

Only because you have the wrong sort of clock:

10240687.jpg

These are Japanese temporal clocks that divide day and night into equal parts.

Richard