A question for boaters

Wumpty

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Ime new hear, obviously :lol: Ime 17 Ime intrested in boats and railways ive worked for a narrowboat hire company and been on a few narowboat holidays, I have a question, Do private boaters generally like/respect hire boaters. The reason I ask is because on my last boating holiday we moored up at Castlethorp (GrandUnion) and during the night we had our mooring pins stoled and our boat became stuck across the canal, While we tried to get our boat unstuck we were called alsorts inc Useless hire boaters, and worse :lol: .

Adam

Edited by Wumpty

Hi All,

Ime new hear, obviously :lol: Ime 17 Ime intrested in boats and railways ive worked for a narrowboat hire company and been on a few narowboat holidays, I have a question, Do private boaters generally like/respect hire boaters. The reason I ask is because on my last boating holiday we moored up at Castlethorp (GrandUnion) and during the night we had our mooring pins stoled and our boat gut became stuck across the canal, While we tried to get our boat unstuck we were called alsorts inc Useless hire boaters, and worse :lol: .

Adam

Hire boaters have a reputation for not really knowing what they are doing. The same can be said for many private boat owners.

Hire companies really need to give more instruction to hirers before letting them loose.

Hi All,

Ime new hear, obviously :lol: Ime 17 Ime intrested in boats and railways ive worked for a narrowboat hire company and been on a few narowboat holidays, I have a question, Do private boaters generally like/respect hire boaters. The reason I ask is because on my last boating holiday we moored up at Castlethorp (GrandUnion) and during the night we had our mooring pins stoled and our boat gut became stuck across the canal, While we tried to get our boat unstuck we were called alsorts inc Useless hire boaters, and worse :lol: .

Adam

I couldn't care less what sort of boater you are. Most of us have been hirers at some time or other. You do get ignorant and abusive people on the canals and on forums like all walks of life. I take the attitude that I am friendly most of the time and ignore those \i don't want to be friendly with. Have fun and ignore them.

Sue

Hi All,

Adam

Hello Adam

Welcome to the forum. I think most private boaters respect and like hire boaters as many of us who are lucky enough to have our own boat started with this mad obsession via the hire boat route. A lot of the most experienced boaters on the cut still hire their boats for various reasons.

Private owner’s still get grief from other boaters so don’t take it personally.

Rember when you accomplish a fantastic bit of manoeuvring into a lock with strong side winds, there won’t be a soul in sight.

As soon as you make a mistake the world and its wife will be there as witnesses!

Good luck with your interests

John

Yep, not fair to start name calling really - could have happened to anyone. I've had my pins pulled out and the same thing happened to me but it was about 3am when I felt the boat hitting things and my view out of the window changed from trees in the moonlight to some old guy staring back at me from his boat window about four inches away from my window! Quite a shock.

Just let it go - put it down to their ignorance! :lol: Welcome to the forum!

Kay

x

It's a crying shame that none of the people shouting at you thought about offering some help instead.

My friends and I have helped a few hire boats over the years, and we're not great experts ourselves. 9 times out of 10 they had just been unlucky, rather than deliberately careless. In some cases they were also starting to panic and this was making things worse.

One of my boating friends is a Scout leader and another is a Teacher. They are both particularly good at calming people down and explaining things, so we try to give a bit of guidance in a friendly way, once the initial crisis is over. Hopefully that way they go away with a bit more confidence, rather than having it destroyed by their incident. There's really only one way to learn, and that's by getting out there and doing it. Everyone needs to start somewhere, which is something us private owners tend to forget.

This is not to say that all hire boat crews are well-behaved, mind. But then neither are all private boaters. Naturally a higher proportion of hire boat crews are novices, but what's wrong with that?

The only hire boater I've shouted and sworn at had commenced the shouting and swearing so I won't apologise for that. He couldn't tell that I'd actually done him a favour which was a shame.

We see a lot of hirer's and I'm as helpful as I can be and hope everyone else is too. I don't doubt though that as in every walk of life there are some people that'll take the opportunity to have a go without full knowledge of the facts.

If we could all just be excellent to one another life would be so much nicer don't t you think?

The only hire boater I've shouted and sworn at had commenced the shouting and swearing so I won't apologise for that. He couldn't tell that I'd actually done him a favour which was a shame.

We see a lot of hirer's and I'm as helpful as I can be and hope everyone else is too. I don't doubt though that as in every walk of life there are some people that'll take the opportunity to have a go without full knowledge of the facts.

If we could all just be excellent to one another life would be so much nicer don't t you think?

Quick! Tell us what happened! :lol:

Kay

x

I love hire boaters, they are usually so enthusiastic, and they radiate a real sense of adventure.

Right up until the point they ram into your boat full tilt trying to moor up in the only space left on the public moorings :lol:

Joking aside i have no issues with hire boaters, we have all been there and made the stupid mistakes. Me included on our many adventures on the Broads. Hire companies just need to make sure that the hirers know what they are doing and how to get out of tight spots/difficulties.

We're taking Cal to the Broads this summer, wonder how she will get on with the hundreds of hire boats on there!

We're taking Cal to the Broads this summer, wonder how she will get on with the hundreds of hire boats on there!

Hi P,

Sounds a great trip, most of us will be confined to the canals and rivers.

As you quite rightly state 'we all have to learn sometime', but the large dent on the front my pal's boat suggests that some hirers take longer to learn things than others - I think he now has a less tolerant attitude to hirers than me.

cheers

Leo.

Hi P,

Sounds a great trip, most of us will be confined to the canals and rivers.

As you quite rightly state 'we all have to learn sometime', but the large dent on the front my pal's boat suggests that some hirers take longer to learn things than others - I think he now has a less tolerant attitude to hirers than me.

cheers

Leo.

Mmmm am just waiting for the first damage to be caused to the gel coat :lol:

I have had quite a few altercations with fellow boaters in my time but none in my recollection with those on hire boats, it was always the arrogant know-all, lazy, private boaters I had problems with.. As all regular forum members will know we are not without our little prejudices..

Fed up with hire boaters, how about a thread about puffters and lesbians there's lots of them about, and those Islamics, no I think we've done them.

I also think I've seen more examples of bizarre or unreasonable behaviour from "owner boaters" than "hire boaters".

Not that I've been counting, but if I had, I've not seen too much to complain about with typical hirers.

To some extent, any problem is often with the hire company, rather than the individual. For example having chatted to more than one Canaltime hirer last year, it was obvious that the video training given did not equip them well when they came to their first locks. Most, in my experience, are more than willing to listen and learn though, as long as you treat them politely. Too often the attitude of 'owner boaters' is to treat 'hire boaters' as some kind of second class citizen.

There are some 'owner boaters' that are beyond any possibility of being "educated", unfortunately.

The way they smile politely as they bounce of every boat in the vicinity trying to moor up?

A great number of hirers, on the water, have been boating longer than I have (25 years) and simply do not want the hassle of boat ownership.

Now that I've ditched the ditch, I may well take a hire boat out, for a week, next summer.

After so many years of boat ownership, it will be interesting to see the contrast in people's attitudes.

Edited by carlt

A great number of hirers, on the water, have been boating longer than I have (25 years) and simply do not want the hassle of boat ownership.

Now that I've ditched the ditch, I may well take a hire boat out, for a week, next summer.

After so many years of boat ownership, it will be interesting to see the contrast in people's attitudes.

It is usually quite obvious from the way someone handles their craft, be it private or hired, if they know what they are doing.

I dont have an issue with hirers, we did it for many years before buying our own. You just have to be wary of hirers who dont have a clue what they are doing. The broads is a good example of this, you want to steer clear of the boatyards and moorings around them on pick up days. Otherwise you will be hit from all angles. Trust me been there trying to eat breakfast whilst being hit front, rear, side front again. And these are fibregalss boats, imagine the damage to be done with a steel hulled boat.

Quick! Tell us what happened! :lol:

Kay

x

Well it was a bit boring really, coming back down the Shroppie and a gang of lads fresh out of Anglo Welsh (we were about an hour away from Norbury) were stuck in the mud on my left hand side, towpath on the right. The poor steerer was obviously thinking that it was imperative to pass me on the correct side but I could see that he was just running further up a bank with his bows waving around, so I waved him to pass down the wrong side and give him the opportunity to get off the bank. With a big rooster tale behind him, which soaked the shouter who was trying to push off against a tree behind them, they came free.

A very soggy hire boater decided to vent his spleen at me, so I vented back. Hence I swore.

Time and time again I meet hire boaters at Bradford on Avon lock just out of Hilperton and stuck with their first lock. I positively enjoy helping them through and sometimes when the wife is ashore I will hang around the lock windlass in hand for no better reason.

I meet some really nice people and try to be a positive aspect of their waterway experience. It is quite unneccessary to buy the hamster a pint at the canal tavern but soggy fur is always to be welcomed!

The thing I like about meeting Hire Boaters is that they remind me how lucky I am to have discovered this great way of life, and how lucky I am. Never heard a Hire Boater be anything but posative about the Canals and sometimes I need reminding (mainly after reading some of the posts on here including my own!!!)