Marina or online

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Poll! Poll!!

I wouldn't dream of being in a marina, whilst living aboard but, now I'm not, I would definitely say "marina".

Nothing quite so symmetrical or sterile as the one pictured, though.

Its not all that symmetrical but i cant photograph it all at once.

aerialview.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Edited by Phylis

If we do buy a boat - before we move to France - then we'll probably have no choice but to go for a marina. But hopefully it'll be more like this

Ducks-021.jpg

than the one in the first post.

But if I could find another one of these

Tor.jpg

I'd be very happy anywhere!

Very nice, reminiscent of a Storebro, is it Scandinavian?

Have we had this conversation before?

We did briefly discuss Tor when I timidly put the picture up in your Wooden boat rally thread! Yes, Scandinavian, built pre-WW2. I'm afraid I don't know the builder or any details of Tor other than it was a lovely boat - moored in a marina in the Oslofjord when we had it.... :lol:

Edited by DaveandDebby

Poll! Poll!!

I wouldn't dream of being in a marina, whilst living aboard but, now I'm not, I would definitely say "marina".

Nothing quite so regimented or sterile as the one pictured, though.

Funny you should say that but thats how I would have described all the marinas I have looked at so far ( not many I must admit ). My plans for next spring are shall we say scuppered , untill broken Britain starts to get back on her feet I shall be looking for a marina. Where are all these mature gravel pits that are used for marinas, I have only found 2 on the internet, Bill Fen and Farndon that seem to look the part but are to far away. I'm based near Milton Keynes any ideas ?

If we do buy a boat - before we move to France - then we'll probably have no choice but to go for a marina. But hopefully it'll be more like this

Ducks-021.jpg

I'd be very happy anywhere!

You see i really dislike this. Why would you want to be tied to your neighbours like that. You better hope you get on with them.

Ducks-021.jpg

Is that a marina? It looks more like multiple linear morings. I'll take the Hudson in the foreground, please!

Edited by Athy

You see i really dislike this. Why would you want to be tied to your neighbours like that. You better hope you get on with them.

Why would I worry about getting on with them? The boat would only be moored there when we weren't aboard.......

Is that a marina? It looks more like multiple linear morings. I'll take the Hudson in the foreground, please!

That's Macclesfield marina. Pub opposite, which does fabulous steaks - two for £10 on a Thursday night.

You still have to trample across their boats to get to yours.

No, you walk along the pontoon.

Dont look like that from here. How close together are the pontoons. Too close for my liking.

The pontoon is at the back of the boats.......No one has to climb over another boat, and it's easy to get out. I wouldn't spend the night onboard in any marina, no matter how far apart the boats are.

The pontoon is at the back of the boats.......No one has to climb over another boat, and it's easy to get out. I wouldn't spend the night onboard in any marina, no matter how far apart the boats are.

Is it not a marina you said you liked in Macclesfield?

We like the convenience and security offered by the marina. We have all facilities to hand, shops, a bar, a pub, a resteraunt, boat yard, workshops, 24 hour secutiry you name it its there. The sense of community as well, everyone looks out for everyone else.

It took me ten years before I was able to escape from a marina to the offside online moorings I wanted. That was in the days of the good old waiting list system.

My reasons for wanting to move out were: I needed somewhere that didn’t mind some serious DIY fitting out; I didn’t much like being moored cheek by jowl; (and, it has to be said, close neighbours didn’t much like me showering their shiny boats in smuts whenever I started a rather dirty semi-diesel engine); the marina started to allow too many liveaboards and it began to resemble a crowded housing estate and, finally, the owner of the marina didn’t much like boats or boaters!!

It all depends what your needs are. I can imagine that if I had boat which I took out for an airing for a couple of weeks a year; left all the maintenance to someone else; valued peace and tranquillity above all else and simply wanted a pleasant place to sit in the sun and potter about the boat, I too would opt for a marina.

Personally I don't like marinas and certainly not Burton Waters (OP's pics).

I have my reasons but I am not going to air them in here and start an argument.

This is of course my opinion, formed by my experiences and I'm not slating anyone that choses to live in one!

I like the living in the middle of no-where type of moorings.

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/lincoln/moorings.php

looks bleak to me.

reminds me of the development around Brighton Marina - only good thing about Brighton Marina is going Sea Fishing.

Edited by grahoom

Is it not a marina you said you liked in Macclesfield?

The picture is of the marina we would probably have to moor in in Macclesfield. I didn't say I liked it, just that I prefered it to one that looks like yours. As we don't drive, a marina in town is our only option. But it would only be somewhere to leave the boat when we weren't aboard. I'd rather have an online mooring, but I doubt there will be many of those available by the time we could afford to buy a boat.

I have my reasons but I am not going to air them in here and start an argument.

This is of course my opinion, formed by my experiences and I'm not slating anyone that choses to live in one!

I like the living in the middle of no-where type of moorings.

Another disguntled local who wasnt allowed in?

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/lincoln/moorings.php

looks bleak to me.

reminds me of the development around Brighton Marina - only good thing about Brighton Marina is going Sea Fishing.

How can it be bleak? The place is stunning. Surrounded by countryside, close to Lincoln, new moorings and facilities.

If you want bleak look at Torksey Lock.