Help - there's a RAT in my boat!!!

wannabefree

Featured Posts

Yep - it's 3AM and I'm on guard duty with a floor brush. I've got an open centre cockpit and there's half a plastic sack of coal on deck. I heard a scurring noise like a cat playing with a carrier bag. Torch on I emerged from the cabin just in time to see the rear end and tail of a rat dissapearing into a crevice behind the bag of coal. Now it's somewhere in the boat. Somewhere! They make my skin crawl! This is my first rat encounter. What do I do?

Yep - it's under the floor running about sometimes and making me tense all of the time. I think I'll get a cat after my unwelcome guest has been evicted, somehow. Oh and seal off any entrance routes to the boat. Lesson learned the hard way!

Edited by wannabefree

Yep - it's 3AM and I'm on guard duty with a floor brush. I've got an open centre cockpit and there's half a plastic sack of coal on deck. I heard a scurring noise like a cat playing with a carrier bag. Torch on I emerged from the cabin just in time to see the rear end and tail of a rat dissapearing into a crevice behind the bag of coal. Now it's somewhere in the boat. Somewhere! They make my skin crawl! This is my first rat encounter. What do I do?

Scuttle it?

There was a very similar thread on the forum a few days ago that might help. Rat

Roger

My rat moved out when the mink moved into the back cabin.

The mink moved out when I mentioned it to my mate who promptly went into the back cabin and weed on the floor boards!

I didn't believe it either (and still wonder if it just left because it had exhausted its food supply).

I think the rat upped and left of its own accord. In the morning I lifted the boards, started the engine and made an almighty racket. Dunno if that would persuade it to leave immediately if it was still there, but there was no evidence of any rats leaving. Then I went into town and bought two heavy duty traps and baited them with peanut butter. One is in the kitchen and the other is in the hull in case Ratty is still in there. Neither has been set off and the bait is still in place. I also bought one of those ultrasonic deterrnts and put it in the main cabin.

It's been all quiet so far...