Thingummybob

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

I have some very stubborn philips head screws that I want to to remove to get into my water tank to clean it.

I seem to recollect reading somewhere about a gadget that you can place over the offending screw and then whack it on the top with a hammer and this automatically taps the screw anti clockwise and starts to release it.

Does anyone know what the gadget is called and where I can get one. Or was I having a vivid dream.

Steve

I have some very stubborn philips head screws that I want to to remove to get into my water tank to clean it.

I seem to recollect reading somewhere about a gadget that you can place over the offending screw and then whack it on the top with a hammer and this automatically taps the screw anti clockwise and starts to release it.

Does anyone know what the gadget is called and where I can get one. Or was I having a vivid dream.

Steve

Impact driver.

Any car accessory shop should sell them, as they are commonly used to remove screws from brake disks and

drums.

Another good tip is to touch the head of the screw with something very hot like a soldering iron. The rapid expansion can break the seal.

If you have electrickery to your boat, or a cordless drill, then get yourself one of these..............

http://www.jmldirect.com/Screw-Extractor-PS5616/

Works a treat, so long as the screw is a quality one and not a cheapy alloy one. Cheapy ones just get the head ripped off them.

Good luck.

Probably a bit late now, but putting some heat on as previously posted is a good idea, but before trying to untighten it, [not with your gizzmo thingy] try to tighten it very slightly with screwdriver, this will also help to break the seal, but less likely to snap the head off, remember just a tweak,and don't forget good old WD40. Then use your gizzmo thingy.

If you have an old driver especially one thats lost it's handle use that with a pair of mole grips, and give the driver a sharp tap with a hammer, this can also work.

:lol: The reason it's better with the handle missing is you hit the other end of the shaft and not a soft shock absorbing handle. :lol:

Hopefully you've already got them all out in one piece.

Regards

John :lol:

Edited by johnjo

A tip I was given by a gunsmith, well used to locked solid screws, machine screws etc is to take a flat punch of the same diameter as the offending screw head and then give it a whack. The idea is the 'release the thread', then do the tightening slightly bit before unscrewing.

• 8 months later...

At long last I finally got around to trying out the new impact driver at the weekend - I followed the advice given by Amicus and used a lump hammer and it works brilliantly.

Managed to release all the screws holding the water tank cover on and drained the remaining water in the tank and left the cover off to help the tank to dry out.

Next job is to scrape & wire brush the tank before treating with bitumen.

Thanks to eveyone who offered advice.

Steve

At long last I finally got around to trying out the new impact driver at the weekend ...

8 months from asking the question to getting around to doing the job. I like your laid back style, sir :lol: