Where To Buy Coal ?

Tonyl

Featured Posts

Not yet had the pleasure of having to buy the coal, that is, in no doubt, a huge concern for "Live-Aboards", but cannot help wondering ,where is the best place to buy the usual "Smokeless, quick light, best burn, highest heat output,stay in all night, low tar, etc etc bags of COAL ?.

I am sure there are regular outlets somewhere, but apart from Petrol Stations, (which seem to to do good logs, in nets ranging from £4 to £6 quid), but only sell standard House Coal ( I think thats correct terminology) which tars up the flue, where else do you go to buy coal of the correct type at a reasonable prices and selections of said stuf ?. Coal Merchants seem to be a dying breed (much like the Milkman I suppose).

Offers Please ?

Tony

A word of warning.

People able to bulk buy, particularly at "summer" prices, may have been able to keep costs down a bit.

But anyone unfortunate enough to want to buy just a few bags at current rates is likely in for a shock, if they have not bought for a while.

Most outlets have had to add around £2 to the price of a 25KG bag of a typical fuel.

As Bottle says if a coal boat trades in your area they should be competitive, but quite likely not by a large margin.

2 weeks ago different coal boats were charging £9-25 and £9-75 for Taybrite. :lol: I thought our marina was a rip off before that, but at £10-00, there wasn't a lot in it frankly. That said, always try and support the boats, if you can.

Alan

Fair comment Keith, never thought of that. Boat is moored at Crick, but am trying to purchase on the fly, as in, when at work around the country. Not quite aware of "The Coalboat" expresion.

Needless to say, a little green behind the ears at the moment, being new to boating, and coming into a first winter, but enjoying the learnig curve.

Thanks for the reply.

Tony

As we are in the Midlands but in a marina we dont get to see coal boats (and TBH think it would annoy the marina owner if we brought from them..Shame oh for a bit of bank!)

We too have problems finding coal suppliers...think your best bet is in Rugby from Crick.....sometimes the farm shop next to the marina sells it but unless anyone tells me otherwise fraid its a drive out!!

Cheers

Gareth

(and if anyone knows of anywhere around Market Harborough....)

As we are in the Midlands but in a marina we dont get to see coal boats (and TBH think it would annoy the marina owner if we brought from them..Shame oh for a bit of bank!)

We too have problems finding coal suppliers...think your best bet is in Rugby from Crick.....sometimes the farm shop next to the marina sells it but unless anyone tells me otherwise fraid its a drive out!!

Cheers

Gareth

Tried Yell?

All the coal merchants around Reading seem to happily sell prepacked from their yard. Also some builder's merchants sell the stuff. It would need a car though.

Cheers

Gareth

Most marinas ban coal boats from entering and even try to stop you pulling alongside linear moorings even though you are still on the canal. Of course the coal boat owner can tell the marina owner where to go, but the threat is usually made to the customer that he will loose his mooring if he doesn't buy from the marina at inflated prices!

I used to make arrangements with customers to meet them on the towpath just out of sight of the marina and serve them with coal, diesel and pumpout there.

George (ex nb Alton, retired)

The coal boat calls regularly at our marina - a very welcome sight! I've just been watching it coming down the GU just near the Northampton Arm - loads of stops as almost everyone seemed to want coal! I hadn't realised they went out on Sundays - but why not? I think our last bags were at £8.45 per bag - but that was in September. I'll probably get a nasty shock next time. I use solid fuel to heat my home too. It is much cheaper to buy it in bulk and I have thought of bagging some up to bring to the boat, but it's too messy and too much bother.

Stickleback

Cheers

Gareth

(and if anyone knows of anywhere around Market Harborough...

The garden shop near the marina in Crick always have house coal and some boiler nuts. if you go to the garage in

Welford they have a good range, maybe expensive phunicite at 11 quid a bag

David

The garden shop near the marina in Crick always have house coal and some boiler nuts. if you go to the garage in

Welford they have a good range, maybe expensive phunicite at 11 quid a bag

David

Ta for that......Last time we called in at the Garden centre they hadnt got any in because they said it wasnt winter....(about a month ago!!) and £11 per bag.......blimey!!!!! Makes a trip to the coal yard in Rugby worth it!!!

I have tried Yell but we seem to be in a barren bit of the Midlands for coal yards so have to use Farm shops and garden centres which always seem to hike the price up.....If anyone has a house for sale with a 50 foot mooring do feel free to get in touch!!! Then I can get a couple of tons in the summer!! (I do mean it about the house BTW!!)

Cheers

Gareth

Most coal merchants don't seem to advertise, so it's impossible to find them in Yellow Pages or online. But if you ask around it's surprising how many places do still exist. Word of mouth is the only way of finding out, I'm afraid.

I use Cooper's in Mountsorrel. Excel and Supertherm were both about £8.50 for 25Kg a couple of weeks ago. Handily, he'll quite happily take your money on a Saturday or Sunday, too.

Not yet had the pleasure of having to buy the coal, that is, in no doubt, a huge concern for "Live-Aboards", but cannot help wondering ,where is the best place to buy the usual "Smokeless, quick light, best burn, highest heat output,stay in all night, low tar, etc etc bags of COAL ?.

I am sure there are regular outlets somewhere, but apart from Petrol Stations, (which seem to to do good logs, in nets ranging from £4 to £6 quid), but only sell standard House Coal ( I think thats correct terminology) which tars up the flue, where else do you go to buy coal of the correct type at a reasonable prices and selections of said stuf ?. Coal Merchants seem to be a dying breed (much like the Milkman I suppose).

Offers Please ?

Tony

Farm Shop on the Elm Road, Outwell (75 yards north of the old wisbish canal junction) Coallite £6.50 25kg bag

Firesprite

Middle levels

Fair comment Keith, never thought of that. Boat is moored at Crick, but am trying to purchase on the fly, as in, when at work around the country. Not quite aware of "The Coalboat" expresion.

Needless to say, a little green behind the ears at the moment, being new to boating, and coming into a first winter, but enjoying the learnig curve.

Thanks for the reply.

Tony

As far as I know there is no coal boat run any more on the Leicester Line - there was but it stopped 2 years ago. Down here on the North Oxford at Hillmorton I try to buy off Gosty Hill but I haven't seen them for a month - anyone know where they are?

Rugby Fuels is good and reasonably cheap - behind the railway off the Leicester Road. Just before the roundabout that the Avon Mill pub is on take the turning for the recycling centre. It's past that round a left hand corner among a load of small industrial units.

Edited by Dominic M