Shore hook up - Deck connection to IP55

floater

Featured Posts

Looking into my shore hook up point. According to the iso the typical industrial/carvan commando socket is not suitable as only rated to IP44

11.1 Conductor connections shall be in locations protected from the weather or in IP 55 enclosures, in accordance

with IEC 60529, as a minimum. Connections above deck exposed to intermittent immersion shall be in IP 67

enclosures, in accordance with IEC 60529, as a minimum.

I don't want to make a secondary enclosure for the Commando socket

So should i run to:

1. ip65 enclosure or rotary isolator - Permanent connection

2. IP56 house style socket with standard house plug (bs1363/a)

3. Don't have a connection at all, and have just the plug for connecting into shore point. (Of course the plug would be IP44)

Edited by floater

I think 'locations protected from the weather' is the key. Doesn't say what constitutes weather protection, so the sheltered side of the cabin with a flap over it does the job.

Can't see any need to do anything different from the usual practice, - the plug'ole isn't ever going to be totally or intermittently immersed, and if it was, that would be the least of your worries.

Edited by Machpoint005

Looking into my shore hook up point. According to the iso the typical industrial/carvan commando socket is not suitable as only rated to IP44

11.1 Conductor connections shall be in locations protected from the weather or in IP 55 enclosures, in accordance

with IEC 60529, as a minimum. Connections above deck exposed to intermittent immersion shall be in IP 67

So should i run to:

3. Don't have a connection at all, and have just the plug for connecting into shore point. (Of course the plug would be IP44)

I think you should be looking at 13.2 but that doesn't help either unless you do away with a plug and socket which is quite possible. The shore end would come under IET regs as BS EN 60309/2 which might be ok for IP44 but I've not been able to check that.

I found the caravan socket collected water around the terminals when plugged into the downward facing plug fixed on the outside of my rear bulkhead. I fixed a 90 elbow (brown drainware) over the plug. Now it's weather protected.

Ours is located in the shelter so doesnt get rained on.

- I agree that the level of weatherproofing it not really suitable for prolonged outdoor exposure.

- But at the same time, it seams to work fine, not only for narrowboats but across all industrys.

You can get 16amp CEEforms that screw together with watertight seals, and there intercompatable with the std ones. But very rair indeed.

See the one on the left, compaired to the one on the right which is what most people are used to.

livepabasics4lln3.jpg

Daniel

So should i run to:

No harm in exceeding the required standard, its a personal "comfort" issue.

IP67 connectors can be seen here. (3rd and 4th photographs)

http://www.marineelectrics.co.uk/pages/shpwr.htm

Edited by Eeyore

Electrical system out in the rain! You should be looking at IP67 equipment, you can buy them I have used them..

Nobody has mentioned the cable trailing across puddles and wheels running over it.. Flexible wire armoured cable (SY standard if I remember) along with appropriate waterproof glands.

Electrical system out in the rain! You should be looking at IP67 equipment, you can buy them I have used them..

Nobody has mentioned the cable trailing across puddles and wheels running over it.. Flexible wire armoured cable (SY standard if I remember) along with appropriate waterproof glands.

SY cable

http://www.eland.co.uk/electrical-cables/c...ible-cable.html

No harm in exceeding the required standard, its a personal "comfort" issue.

IP67 connectors can be seen here. (3rd and 4th photographs)

http://www.marineelectrics.co.uk/pages/shpwr.htm

Personally i would do a bit of a hunt before paying £50 for one, eg;

http://www.ceenorm.co.uk/product.php?xProd...7&xSec=1691

especially as an !P44 version is about a fiver.

Sorry

I wasn't recommending the supplier, just wanted to post a photo.

Steve

Wasn't criticising your post, simply a little astounded that the waterproof version is 10 times the price of the 'splashproof' version.

Personally i wouldn't put a 240V connector where it's likely to need to be "Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m" while in use (at least not on a canal boat) and the IP44 panel connectors are pretty waterproof if pointing downwards.

Wasn't criticising your post, simply a little astounded that the waterproof version is 10 times the price of the 'splashproof' version.

Personally i wouldn't put a 240V connector where it's likely to need to be "Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m" while in use (at least not on a canal boat) and the IP44 panel connectors are pretty waterproof if pointing downwards.

I wouldnt be so sure about IP44.....we quite often get ones full of water on shows where they point downwards from distro panels as in Daniels pix.....esp if they are a few years old and the plastic rubber around the cable entry has weakened and cracked. IP67 is the way to go but they do cost quite a bit more hence they are not as popular...also most marinas have IP44 on the Jetty so although your hook up lead made be the dogs doo dahhs there will still be a weak link!!

Cheers

Gareth

No problem!

I hadn't looked; but that is a serious price - I almost expected to see the word "caravan" on the packaging. :lol:

Steve

So why do i need a plug in, deck connection?

Could i not just connect to an enclosure or even a rotary isolator. I could have a hook to coil up the cable when cruising. Surely a gland connection would be better than a plug in type?? Am i missing something?

Could i not just connect to an enclosure or even a rotary isolator. I could have a hook to coil up the cable when cruising. Surely a gland connection would be better than a plug in type?? Am i missing something?

The best way in my opinion. Coil from the fixed end to avoid kinks.

If you damage the cable you might have a bit of a wiring project rather than just getting a new lead made....esp if goes through bulkheads etc.....Just a thought!!

I would go for IP67 connectors all round and either SY or HO7 Cable

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

If you damage the cable you might have a bit of a wiring project rather than just getting a new lead made....esp if goes through bulkheads etc.....Just a thought!!

I would go for IP67 connectors all round and either SY or HO7 Cable

Cheers

Gareth

A £100 worth of bits buys a lot of replacement cheap caravan hookup cables and £5 IP44 inlets.

I agree about the lead though - boat with a captive mains lead? silly.