68ft boat

MtB

Featured Posts

I've seen a a few threads on here discussing which size boat is 'universal' and can go anywhere (although I can't find one today), but what about the other way around?

We've found a boat we'd like and are considering buying but it's 67'6" long and we are wondering how limiting this might be be in terms of where we can take it. Is there a list somewhere of lock sizes on the various canals and navigations in the UK? We'd like to check which waterways we will not be able to cruise in a boat almost 68ft long.

Cheers, Mike

Much of the north is problematic with a 68footer. You definately can't go:

Wigan to Leeds on the L&L

Any of the Calder and Hebble

Huddersfield Broad

Ripon Canal

You can do the Rochdale and the Hudds Narrow but it does mean turning round and coming back.

I've looked at this issue myself (mine's over the 57' mark), and the frustrating thing about the BW guide, and indeed the Nicholson guide that I've got, is that the dimensions tend to read "From Mrs Pilkington's Lock to KnockNoddy Basin" or similar. And you won't find either on a map. Particularly annoying on the Nicholson guide beacuse that is a map?!?!

And the winding point at KnockNoddy Basin is only 55 feet long too!

Our boat is 67 feet, it's a good length for a boat; it's like having a 70-footer but with 3 feet extra to stop in an emergency! There aren't many places that we haven't been, the main ones being as RichardH says, but we're still trying to find the time (and energy) to do the Rochdale and the Huddersfield Narrow since we'll have to do both of them twice and turn at the far end of each. After a month's travelling we'll be turning round just a few miles of where we turned round the first time.

Another issue that is often forgotten is the question of air draft. This came into specially sharp focus during my escapade towing the Lucky Duck from Windsor to near Ramsey. For further info. see both Lucky Duck and Warrior blogs esp. the pictures on the Warrior blog. For info. my air draft if around 5' and it apparently used to get under Ramsey Hollow Bridge BEFORE if was raised.

I've seen a a few threads on here discussing which size boat is 'universal' and can go anywhere (although I can't find one today), but what about the other way around?

We've found a boat we'd like and are considering buying but it's 67'6" long and we are wondering how limiting this might be be in terms of where we can take it. Is there a list somewhere of lock sizes on the various canals and navigations in the UK? We'd like to check which waterways we will not be able to cruise in a boat almost 68ft long.

Cheers, Mike

Have a look here as well

Cheers, Mike

We worried over buying our 70' boat because there are places it couldn't go. In practice we don't have the time to cruise the inaccessible parts of the nextwork due to being employed. So far we have managed to do quite a lot of Midland cruising and that's about it.

Richard

Cheers, Mike

I worked through long lists and apart from a couple of places where I couldn't be bothered to go, 56 feet comes out fine. Problem is at 56 feet you need and extension up to 68 feet most of the time. As Allan has written, narrow boats need to be TARDIS but I have managed a banana shaped 72 foot boat around some of the system.

We are in the same situation. I realised that having the extra living space on a 70ft far outweighed the northern canals that are out of bounds.

We live aboard so more internal space is important. I work from home so needed an office on board too.

We are based in the mids on the Wyrley and Essington and would have a long way to go before it became a problem. There is a huge network to exhaust first before it becomes an issue.

Norman

We worried over buying our 70' boat because there are places it couldn't go. In practice we don't have the time to cruise the inaccessible parts of the nextwork due to being employed. So far we have managed to do quite a lot of Midland cruising and that's about it.

Richard

And in practice a 70 footer will do the majority of the system. Certainly enough to keep most people happy.

And in practice a 70 footer will do the majority of the system. Certainly enough to keep most people happy.

And if later you decide you want to do those inaccessible areas then it makes sense just to hire a boat for just that purpose.

Stewey

And if later you decide you want to do those inaccessible areas then it makes sense just to hire a boat for just that purpose.

Stewey

And not only that, but when you stop in Burnley and go for lunch it is less distressing when you return to find it has been set on fire :lol:

Cheers, Mike

No place all the canals are now stopped untill spring... only joking it just seems that way You can get mot places check canaljunction .com and waterscape

That site implies the whole of the Sheffield and South Yorks is 61 foot, whereas it is only the Tinsley flight up to Sheffield that are that length. The four masonry locks above Rotherham are all passable by a 70 footer.

IIRC, Thorne Lock on the Stainthorpe & Keadby is also around 60ft, though you can access both sides of it in a 70ft boat via Trent Falls.

I note that it states the Witham Navigable Drains are limited to 61 ft, yet I know of several full length ex working boats that have been on them.

Much of the north is problematic with a 68footer. You definately can't go:

Wigan to Leeds on the L&L

Any of the Calder and Hebble

Huddersfield Broad

Ripon Canal

Some of the Calder and Hebble is accessable for full length, IIRC as far as Broadcut, though when I passed through in august it looked like some of the second sets of gates hadn't been used in many a long year. You can definitely get through Fall Ings and into to Wakefield

The Yorkshire Ouse (is it still the Ouse at Linton Lock?) is 60 foot north of Linton Lock. Not just the Ripon Canal out of bounds.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I note that it states the Witham Navigable Drains are limited to 61 ft, yet I know of several full length ex working boats that have been on them.

Yes we've been on the WND's, including through to Boston, with no problem of length. Air draft yes, length no.

Cheers, Mike

Have a look at "canalplanac" on't internet it gives you where you can go, time, locks, etc and if you are over length then it tells you where, it's a brilliant site (lots of hard work put into it) but it's been down for a while recently because I think they are changing things around a bit, have a look any way and if it's working again don't think you can do better.

most of the northern canals are 57' but are broad locks, i.e. can get a 62 footer through diagonally with care ( I stand to be corrected) Huddersfield narrow, including Standedge tunnel is full length through to Huddersfield itself where it changes to "broad" (57') Leeds/Liverpool (and it's a lovely area) is down at 62' diagonally with a squeeze or maybe even 60'! .

canalplanac will tell you everything, top marks to the guy that has put it together it even has pictures along the chosen route.

Best of luck what ever, we've changed our ideas from a 62' to a 70' thinking if we wanted to do the northern end we could hire, but thats easy for us we live at the northern end and can visit every weekend if we want. The Ripon canal (and Ripon) is beautiful, so is York, the trip across the Dales (Leeds/Liverpool) is breath taking, get the boat length you want and if necessary go look at the rest by car/hire boat.

If you do go North then spend some time away from the canals, the rest of the scenery really is fantastic, get away from the usual tourist roads and you will find some unforgettable places, but don't tell anyone, you will spoil it for me!

Guzziman

most of the northern canals are 57' but are broad locks, i.e. can get a 62 footer through diagonally with care ( I stand to be corrected)

Allow me to correct you, then! The locks of the Huddersfield Broad and most of the Calder & Hebble have a stated maximum length of 57ft 6in but narrow boats of up to 60 ft can pass through with care diagonally. On most of these locks, narrow boats of slightly over 60 ft can fit but on certain locks (the most critical being at Salterhebble) 60 ft is the absolute maximum.

This page gives you information about this.

canalplanac will tell you everything, top marks to the guy that has put it together it even has pictures along the chosen route.

The link for CanalplanAC is www.canalplan.org.uk and it seems to be working at present.