starting a family afloat

scottessery

Featured Posts

Hia guys

might be a bit of an unusual question but i was wondering if anyone has experience of living aboard with a new born?

due to not wanting to get further into fiancial debt and whist waiting for a housing association to offer us a house, we have decided to say on board when our first child is born

so any help advice tips and experience will be WONDERFUL :lol:

cheers

scott

p.s we live aboard a 36 foot trad :lol:

Edited by scottessery

Hia guys

might be a bit of an unusual question but i was wondering if anyone has experience of living aboard with a new born?

due to not wanting to get further into fiancial debt and whist waiting for a housing association to offer us a house, we have decided to say on board when our first child is born

so any help advice tips and experience will be WONDERFUL :lol:

cheers

scott

p.s we live aboard a 36 foot trad :lol:

George, our eldest was born, whilst we were liveaboards, and continuous cruisers.

It was great and there were no problems, apart from every landlubber saying "You'll be moving back into the house, won't you."

We got a mooring when he was about 6 months old but this was more to do with not seeing the family enough, as the Ccing commute to work reached an hour. Funny how you don't mind the drive, until you've got a baby to get home to.

We finally moved back onto dry land when son 2 was born and eldest started reception.

Only advice is make sure your burner is well guarded and get on and enjoy it. There is no better way of introducing a young one to the world, imo, than on a boat.

We had a full length boat, btw, 36' might be okay for the first year but after that you might want to trade up.

George, our eldest was born, whilst we were liveaboards, and continuous cruisers.

It was great and there were no problems, apart from every landlubber saying "You'll be moving back into the house, won't you."

We got a mooring when he was about 6 months old but this was more to do with not seeing the family enough, as the Ccing commute to work reached an hour. Funny how you don't mind the drive, until you've got a baby to get home to.

We finally moved back onto dry land when son 2 was born and eldest started reception.

Only advice is make sure your burner is well guarded and get on and enjoy it. There is no better way of introducing a young one to the world, imo, than on a boat.

We had a full length boat, btw, 36' might be okay for the first year but after that you might want to trade up.

I've got quite a few friends who've had kids on boats, it works for some and not for others. All you can do it see how it works out for you and also to have a back up plan if it doesn't work. Keep the fire well guarded at all times. 36 ft seems a trifle on the cosy side to say the least but if it works for you and your lifestyle fair play. I find 60 ft for me and the man plus cat can be too small sometimes ;-) Stay safe and all the best,

D

Ellen spent a great deal of time on boats throughout her childhood, both living aboard and on extended holidays. It was very easy when she was baby and I thought she was more contented on the boat than on the bank, but then that could've been because I was. It got more difficult as she started toddling round, but that was probably because I wasn't particularly organised at times. Nonetheless the usual safeguards worked and Ellen was brought up to understand safety procedure and safe boat use. We lived in 36' too, but had survived in 23' for a little while, it was cosy but it was all we could afford so we got on with it. I should say that Ellen is a well-rounded and balanced person and most of that has to do with her life on the water.

I think bringing up children on the water is a fabulous way to enjoy family life, we are close in ways that other families simply dream about. Try it and see how you get on. There are quite a few forum members who have children living aboard with them so there'll be more advice if you need it. Do try to get registered with a boat-friendly doctor's surgery as you'll need one from time to time and it's easier to see the same people and not have to explain endlessly that you live on a boat ......

There will be rough times but in my experience, I couldn't say they were any worse than when we were in a house .......

Good luck, Jill

My youngest was 9 months old when we moved on board. I wasn't sure how he would be with it all, especially learning to walk on a vessel that moved! But he was fine and my eldest who was 7 loves it too.

Apart from obvious things like fire guards and making sure you have pans away from the cooker edge when they get older and start reaching these things, and have a decent life jacket for out and about things, then you don't have much else toworry about.

The one thing I will say I've noticed is that we have more questions asked to us about the kids because we are on a boat in the sense of my sons pre-school teachers were questioning why he ran slower than some kids, and was that because of the restricted space on board?

I told them apart fromt he 3 hours he spend with you every dayin a big open room, he has one the biggest back gardens there is and is more often out than in anyway. Plus I've never noticed a problem with him not having the room to leg it about, he is just naturally more careful. Be prepared for a lot of doubters as they are not necessarily being difficult and horrible on purpose, a lot of it is because they are niave and do not understand boat life. I get the impression from some folks that they see it as almost traveller type life style when really is it just an alternative life style. And to be quite honest, he is a lazy tyke as well and because he has never been a good sleeper he doesn't always fire on all engines either!

So as long as you don't take any silly comments to heart, enjoy every second. I've had to defend my kids more than other land dwelling kids, but I don't see any difference between how my kids are compared to any others quite frankly, other than people's perception that they must be different.

Any decent health visitor worth their salt wouldn't even think about it. Ours is great and she didn't even bat an eye lid.

Edited by StoneHenge

My ungodson was born on the boat and lived on till he was three. Gated off fire and back deck etc as mentioned above and all is great. He became water savvy fairly quickly, and got way too used to the attention he received when out cruising - the 'captain's chair' on the back hatch was perfect for sitting in and waving at his public...

And the kiddie bike trailer is soooo useful for hauling laundry and shopping in as well as small children

I met a family in Oxford last year with three small children on what must have been a 42 footer or similar - so while 36 foot is small it's manageable!

Not everyone gets on with it. Our neighbours (liveaboards for eight years) have just had to move off their boat and into a flat because their two year old son has come to hate it and won't stop screaming when he's onboard. Granted I think the boat was too small for a family at 45 feet. Our other neighbours have a baby, but are currently renovating a dutch barge to move onto. We have yet another neighbour who's son has moved off the boat becuase he hates it (he's 15).

Try it, but be prepared for a back up plan, it could be or it could not be the romantic dream that you were after. Some kids love it, some absolutely hate it and you have no way of knowing unless you try.

I have had two girls one bought up from the age of 1 and one from the age of 5.

Apart from visits by social services when we moved moorings no problems. They love it ask them if they want to move to a house and a resounding NO.

edited to remove silly.stupid pedantic comments

Thanks for the replys and sharing your experiences carlt, wrigglefingers, dazzler , odanan and stonehenge :lol::lol::lol:

how did you find the sleeping arangments?

the main worry (thought) with the new born is with co sleeping

we were planning on co sleeping using a snuggle nest anyway but wondered what solutions and or problems you guys faced :lol:

i can see changing and bathing will be ok but im sure there are some unexpected 'challenges' - did you guys have any unexpected or unusual 'situations' while living aboard?

Edited by scottessery

Being born on a boat gives you a birth certificate to be proud of in later life - place of birth as NB Blahdiblah has a much better sound to it than Scunthorpe General or wherever. And by all accounts the midwives all want in on the experience - there were three lined up in my neighbours boat when the ungodson was born! They'd been worried the local services would make things difficult but as it was not an eyebrow was raised and everyone was supportive - the only issue they could have had would be to make sure there was ambulance access to the mooring spot if necessary

Re the cot - I'm sure there are many methods but what I've seen is a built-in baby-cage (with the bars as a 'door' setup on top of built in drawers in the bedroom. And a blackout curtain and lots of insulation.

All the best!

i can see changing and bathing will be ok but im sure there are some unexpected 'challenges' - did you guys have any unexpected or unusual 'situations' while living aboard?

The first health visitor refused to walk down the towpath (less than 100 yards of concrete).

The next one arrived in a short black skirt that gave me a view that burnt into my retina, before I could avert my gaze, as she climbed into the hold.

The third one arrived in her canoe.

I got so sick of people telling me how dangerous it is raising a child next to water. The fact that I lived over a mile from the nearest public road didn't seem to sink in.

Getting into a school seemed to be a problem but, as our mooring was right on a county boundary, we ended up spoilt for choice.

Toys toys toys!

Having a full length boat meant that my son's room was actually not much smaller than the one he has now. It's nice that we don't have to sleep in the living room, anymore, though.

The worst thing about him spending his first 5 years on a boat is that he misses it. It's nearly a year since Usk was torched and I still haven't told him.

I agree whole-heartedly that you will need a good medical fall-back system in place when living with small children, whether on land or on the water. We could have published a "good doctors guide to the waterways" when our 5 children were young, but I think the benefit they gain outweighs the trials and tribulations. Don't forget that if it is advice and not medication you need NHS Direct can give either telephone advice (0845 46 47) or you can "do it yourself" on their website (www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk ). Good luck to you!

The first health visitor refused to walk down the towpath (less than 100 yards of concrete).

The next one arrived in a short black skirt that gave me a view that burnt into my retina, before I could avert my gaze, as she climbed into the hold.

The third one arrived in her canoe.

I've had to show more than one set of health visitors to a newborn in our marina - cue much screaming as they are lead down the (barely moving) pontoons. :lol:

We'd been living aboard for nearly a year when our daughter came along and have had really pleasant reactions from midwives and health visitors. Family and friends are the ones who have gone on and on about moving off and getting a flat/crap house (cos its all I could afford). I have a stove now which has a fire guard and the stern has Willow fencing (which has recieved some odd comments). Our daughter has a very healthy respect for water and has been going to the local pool since she was 2 or 3 months old.

Our boat is 57' by 10' so I guess we have a bit more room than others and gives our daughter her own very very small bedroom. We live in a marina which is very friendly and supportive (cos its along way from the car park down the pontoon to the boat). There is a huge sense of security here and I'm not sure how I would feel being on a canal or river bank mooring. There was an opportunity for us to move to such a mooring and in the end I declined for secruity resaons.

Its totally possible to have kids on boats but I don't know how we'll cope as our daughter gets bigger (shes 3 now). I'd love to move onto a bigger dutch barge with two double bedrooms but they are sooooo pricey I don't know that it'll ever happen.

Good luck

Chloe

I am proud to say that I have never lived in a house. I was born on a boat and the only way you'd get me of the canal is to fill it in!

My parents tell me it was easier raising me on a boat as they always knew where I was and as an added bonus I learned to be very tidy early on.

I am proud to say that I have never lived in a house. I was born on a boat and the only way you'd get me of the canal is to fill it in!

My parents tell me it was easier raising me on a boat as they always knew where I was and as an added bonus I learned to be very tidy early on.

hehehehehe please can you have a little chat with my daughter then please?? hehe

thanks everyone :lol:

you have been putting our minds at rest :lol::lol:

what with the horrible weather and cold nights condenstation is becoming a HUGE problem again.

its never been a health issue but for a new born wet damp and mouldy air cant be good so i was thinking of solutions you have come across to reduce the condensation on the windows and sides of the boat beneth the waterline especialy round by the bed and under sinks

do yo also think condensation/damp is worse on smaller boats (36' cosy trads) :lol:

thanks again everyone

and will keep you all posted how im getting on ;)