Diesel transfer pump

wonderdust

Featured Posts

Hi,

Buying red diesel from the local garage? doubtful! - transfer pumps mmmm! think carefully before providing info on this one.

Albi.

My local garage sells red too, lots of farming equipment here in the fens you see.

Proof if you like (read the last paragraph)

http://www.gulfoil.co.uk/news/march_foreco...gulf/index.html

My local garage sells red too, lots of farming equipment here in the fens you see.

Proof if you like (read the last paragraph)

http://www.gulfoil.co.uk/news/march_foreco...gulf/index.html

That's where i'll buy it 85.9p ltr, asked the manager at the weekend if there was any probs in buying it, none what so ever, in fact he said " we used to have a delivery once every 3 weeks but now it is once every week due to the owner's at Fox's in March filling up, because of the cost"

Hi,

Buying red diesel from the local garage? doubtful! - transfer pumps mmmm! think carefully before providing info on this one.

Albi.

What is the problem in providing info on this, i was after a model or make that someone has used, ill buy one anyway!

Edited by wonderdust

This will, of course, be no different to licence dodging.

It's not even tax dodging Carl

if a boat stays on it's mooring all year round, then collecting fuel from a garage for 100% domestic use seems perfectly ok to me.

That's where i'll buy it 85.9p ltr, asked the manager at the weekend if there was any probs in buying it, none what so ever, in fact he said " we used to have a delivery once every 3 weeks but now it is once every week due to the owner's at Fox's in March filling up, because of the cost"

How much is it from Fox's? is it still over £1 a litre?

It's not even tax dodging Carl

if a boat stays on it's mooring all year round, then collecting fuel from a garage for 100% domestic use seems perfectly ok to me.

But would it seem OK to the Revenue ? I rather doubt it.

If you buy your fuel at a canalside site, you would have to actively declare "0% propulsion - 100% other", (and face the consequences if ou are demonstrated to be moving your boat wit it).

If you buy it from a roadside garage or agricultural outlet, you will not have self-declared.

I rather suspect they are not going to like that, (in the event they can be bothered to follow up on the buying habits of a single boater).

As an aside....

I'll be interested what our marina intends to do about the huge amounts of sales they do to people in cars and vans with big plastic containers. I know from talking to some that they are not boaters, and much is undoubtedly used for "propulsion", albeit not on water......

• 2 weeks later...

I use a hand operated semi rotary pump for any diesel transfer operations, simple and effective it is mounted on a piece of plywood .The idea was that iI could secure the plywood with a bit of rope to the back end rail on a working boat with suction and discharge hoses long enough to reach into my grand union style tanks[town class] Last 2 uses as follows, 1 emptying tanks into drums for tank cleaning, repair of 2 pinholes in a welded seam and sorting out small but annoying leaks in the pipework. 2 Removing a quantity of fuel from a friends boat into drums to allow for tank cleaning and maintainance.This last use saw 2 clamps being used to clamp the set up to a back door. I do not not keep this handy item on my boat, just bring it from home if needed,no accusations of going equipped to commit an offense and no easy pickings for thieves.Must admit that if the "bizzies" stopped me in my van with that pump and a quantity of drums in the back it could get interesting

Most larger JCBs machines are fitted with fuel trasfer pumps to allow them to fill up from unpumped bowsers and the like, typically with red, where the machine is on site for a long time.

I believe these are all jabsco pumps, electric, which you seam to be able to buy for about £50.

Daniel

I'll be interested what our marina intends to do about the huge amounts of sales they do to people in cars and vans with big plastic containers. I know from talking to some that they are not boaters, and much is undoubtedly used for "propulsion", albeit not on water......

They (the buyers) will be saying it's for 'plant' and providing a name and address - totally legal.

• 6 months later...
As an aside....

They (the buyers) will be saying it's for 'plant' and providing a name and address - totally legal.

I'm sorry Dave - I've only just seen your comment on my post.

I can assure you that I have never seen anybody at this outlet declaring that purchases are for 'plant'.

It has never taken details of who it was selling to before 1st November, and now simply requires the standard declaration.

To be fair they do point out to people that if they don't have a houseboat certificate or full residential mooring then the Revenue say that should not be declaring 0% propulsion. However many people are declaring 0% propulsion.