What do I need ?

Boats in the head

Featured Posts

Just kitting up me new boat before I sets sail ? Can any one tell me the diffrance between a handcuff key and a vandel key/ do I need both? Also What other lock and towpath equipment do I need? I have a key for the water points

Knowing my luck the first lock I come to I will need some special bit of kit I dont have

Colin

Handcuff Key ...

Second one down on here https://secure.waterscape.com/shop - Used on the Ashton and Huddersfield Narrow canals (and others?)

An Anti-Vandal key, for some areas, is your Watermate Key.

Edit to add ...

Of course, you'll need a windlass. Personally I prefer the ones that have a "sleeve" on the handle.

For the Calder And Hebble you'll need the infamous "Calder And Hebble Spike" (http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm)

Decent length hose - and plenty of replacement hose/tap connectors for those times you walk away and forget to take it off.

Mooring pins (I've six, with four in use when using them)

Piling Hooks / Piling Chains

[edit to add the bit about 'areas' for watermate as anti-vandal key]

Edited by Chris J W

An Anti-Vandal key is your Watermate Key.

Is that right? I've recently seen a notice that referred to the "handcuff" keys as the anti-vandal key. The watermate is the yale-type key.

The handcuff key is now needed on the S&W around Kidderminster.

Edited by dor

Is that right? I've recently seen a notice that referred to the "handcuff" keys as the anti-vandal key. The watermate is the yale-type key.

Yes the AV key is the Handcuff key.

The watermate key is the sanitary station key which, like the handcuff key....SHOULD BE FREE TO LICENCE HOLDERS!

rant over.

I think it's a "location" thing - I've mainly used the 'watermate' key on bits of the GU and Aylesbury, so I tend to think of it as "Anti-Vandal" key and the handcuff as, well, just a handcuff.

If you see what I mean.

bottle opener and corkscrew.

Yep got them the first things on my list as well Guess a few beers and Ill forget what ai wanted the key for anyway

Poles (wooden) for when your stuck.

Can you use the poles for uwanted hoodys or is it better to use a boat hook?

Well as usual with you lot billiant responce

SO i NEED a waterside key for the toliet blocks and water points a handcuff key which is the same as the Anti vandel key and somthin called a spike... what the hell is a spike for ? do I need one where do I get one ?

Oh yes they all should be free ..... joking

SO i NEED a waterside key for the toliet blocks and water points a handcuff key which is the same as the Anti vandel key and somthin called a spike... what the hell is a spike for ? do I need one where do I get one ?

Well, as I said, for the Calder And Hebble you'll need the infamous "Calder And Hebble Spike" (http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm) I got mine from Aspley Marina in Huddersfield. But if you're not going on the C&H, then you'll not need one.

(Oh, and make sure you get TWO (at least) Watermate keys ... you don't want to get to the next waterpoint and find you left your key at the last one!)

Well, as I said, for the Calder And Hebble you'll need the infamous "Calder And Hebble Spike" (http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm) I got mine from Aspley Marina in Huddersfield. But if you're not going on the C&H, then you'll not need one.

(Oh, and make sure you get TWO (at least) Watermate keys ... you don't want to get to the next waterpoint and find you left your key at the last one!)

Cheers Chris

And there speaks a voice of been there done that :lol:

And there speaks a voice of been there done that :lol:

Nope! Done many a silly thing (buying a boat, for a start!) but not done that ...

Have profited from those that have, mind ... :lol:

(Quick edit to add ... wasn't SuperMalc forever having to walk back and get his key?)

Edited by Chris J W

I can't remember the last time we used a plank although we have two. Four spikes? How long do you stay anywhere? Two marquee pegs when necessary but pilling hooks are lovely.

Sue

Difficult to describe, but I'll try ...

At each end ...

(i) One pin Straight Down

(ii) One pin angled to about 45deg off towpath thru the eye of the aforementioned pin (i)

(iii) Rope to boat thru pin (ii)

That clear? (Erm. I hope!)

Hosepipe.

Stern gland grease.

Electrical contact cleaner.

Tea.

Diesel.

Water.

Oil.

Coal.

Gas.

Scotch.

Pearsons or Nicholsons guides.

Those multipacks of little cereal boxes - can be eaten 'dry' in an emergency (i.e. if you run out of milk / scotch), and the boxes are excellent for fire-lighting. :lol:

I'd say that what's usually called the "Handcuff Key", (unofficial name I think), is the Tee-handled anti vandal key. As well as those areas already mentioned it's widely used on the BCN, and the general environs of Birmingham.

As Chris has said, though, the BW Yale key, or "Watermate" key, or Sanitary Station Key, is also used for anti-vandal measures elsewhere, and as well as the Aylesbury arm mentioned, has spread to locks on the GU main line (Dudswell to Berkhamsted, for example. It's also used on the Regents canal, often to lock an entire lock area off from the general public, rather than for locking paddles.

Additionally the are used at electrically operated locks and bridges on the GU, Lee, Stort, etc.

"Sea Searcher" magnet for when you drop a windlass in the lock (or your keys!)

Chris

With a pleasing plop one of our piling hooks slipped gently below the waves yesterday. Fortunately I recovered it only moments later with our magnet-onna-string. Well worthwhile.

Richard

Mind you, that particular piling hook was one I found so it didn't cost me anything.

But then the magnet cost me nothing either.

Am I winning or losing???