Anglers and Canal Boaters

Featured Posts

I've been on the cut a few years and have never, as yet, had any infortunate incidents with fishing folk. I slow down and stay in the middle and make polite conversation with those who raise their heads to chat.

We need to realise that there are grumpy sods out there irrespective of whether they fish, steer or even knit!

Very well said. My approach to anglers is similar;I have got friendly with a few local ones. I have had very few problems with anglers over the years. I have had numerous problems with other boats though.

Hi all...

Its a shame more people can't be little less ignorant in general. We go on regular walks along the canal (and other places) and most people we pass by either smile or say hello but you can tell straight away those that are going to ignore you or not even look up to acknowledge you before they approach - if one in the group ignores you, I find that the others will too - especially if they are a family. I've found the same with fishermen too - some look up and acknowledge you - some stare down into the water and won't look up. I say hello to everyone I pass on walks and get about a 70% positive acknowledgement. I know its people's god given right to ignore other people if they so wish but a smile or a nod is painless and costs absolutely nothing. I just wish people would cheer up a little bit more - there is nothing wrong with acknowledging people you don't know - its just in my nature to do that when I'm out and about on a walk. What upsets me is when I've bothered to say hello and smile and I just get blanked - I always get annoyed with myself for being nice! I know I'm waffling on! :lol:

Kay

x

Edited by kayDee

We are going to take the boat out for the weekend, and will likely try going down Maffers and the Aylesbury Arm, the original topic in this thread.

I'll be as polite as I can be, and instruct OH to be likewise.

I'll report back if the Tring Anglers are as bad as has been described!

Alan

Hi all...

Its a shame more people can't be little less ignorant in general. We go on regular walks along the canal (and other places) and most people we pass by either smile or say hello but you can tell straight away those that are going to ignore you or not even look up to acknowledge you before they approach - if one in the group ignores you, I find that the others will too - especially if they are a family. I've found the same with fishermen too - some look up and acknowledge you - some stare down into the water and won't look up. I say hello to everyone I pass on walks and get about a 70% positive acknowledgement. I know its people's god given right to ignore other people if they so wish but a smile or a nod is painless and costs absolutely nothing. I just wish people would cheer up a little bit more - there is nothing wrong with acknowledging people you don't know - its just in my nature to do that when I'm out and about on a walk. What upsets me is when I've bothered to say hello and smile and I just get blanked - I always get annoyed with myself for being nice! I know I'm waffling on! :lol:

Kay

x

ABSOLUTELY !

We always smile and sometimes wave, and we get at least a 70% positive response....

We always say thank you as well, after they've moved their rods over so we can get past - and ask them if they've had any luck etc.....

Nothing at all wrong with being nice....

We've never had worse than an occasional 'blank' in return so far....

but then, I s'pose this might have something to do with the M16s, visible in their quick release clips on the cabin sides.... :lol:

We are going to take the boat out for the weekend, and will likely try going down Maffers and the Aylesbury Arm, the original topic in this thread.

I'll be as polite as I can be, and instruct OH to be likewise.

I'll report back if the Tring Anglers are as bad as has been described!

Alan

Well just back from a round trip on the Aylesbury Arm, (the anglers on which prompted this thread).

Nothing sensational to report.

Lots of anglers, but maybe 50% were dad's with kids rather that seasoned members of Tring Anglers.

One miserable bu**er told us "you are going too fast, aren't you", as we approached really rather slowly, having only just left a lock. He had no net or lines in the water either, and I think would have complained if we were in a rowing boat.

We tried to be friendly, and at least 50% were friendly back.

On three occasions on the way back people were set up on the landing area below a lock, but in only one case with keep nets. It would have caused friction if I hadn't got Cath going ahead of me on foot, so I can see where the single handers are coming from when they say it causes difficulties.

But please don't on any account be deterred from a trip down to Aylesbury. This remains one of my all time favourite canals, especially when forging a channel in the gap between reeds that stand about one and a half times the height of the boat, and where there's not even a seven foot gap between them. Perhaps I shouldn't sing it's praises too loudly, as the main appeal is that so few boaters have discovered this arm.

Alan

• 1 month later...
Hi everybody

I'm new here as you may see...

I've read a few topics regarding fisherman/fisherladies/anglers and boaters and to be honest I'm appalled at some of the replies from some people on this forum!!

Ive been fishing the canals, both pleasure fishing and match fishing for a few years now around the Wrexham/Llangollen/Chester/Ellesmere area. I always make eye contact with the boaters coming past and always say hello, thank you and wave and do most of the time get a reply or a short conversation between us.

I do agree with some of the posts here you do get some bad eggs that just fly past soaking everything on the towpath with their bow wave, probably with the attitude "I pay more for my boat license to be on this canal than you pay for your license so I shall do what I want...", sorry but this is an awful and disgusting. This is generally 1 in say 30 possible 40 boaters that go past.

Most will slow down and before now (especially during a match) I've signalled to boats to move into the middle of the track rather than down the far-side where I'm actually, feeding, fishing and catching!! So by ploughing through the far side will "kill the swim" for a good 20mins or so.....its not the end of the world but during a match when there is money involved, I can understand why some people get annoyed.

During a fishing match, we don't have much choice of where we are pegged, you pick your peg from a hat.

(This is also something I will make note of too - you do learn something new every day!)

If I may point out some tips that may help relationships between us anglers and boat users....

• Slow down, right down.....when passing somebody who's fishing.
  • Try and keep in the middle of the track.
  • Try and pass other boaters BETWEEN anglers and not in front of them.
  • Manners - it doesn't hurt to say hello and thank you (this goes for us anglers too!)

Proper anglers don't and won't leave rubbish behind.

At the end of the day, what ever you pay to be on the canal its there for everybody's enjoyment, so lets keep it that way...

Thank You

Gareth

hi Gareth

I'm new as well ..............

As a boater and kayaker (canoeist in other words) I have been on the receiving end of Anglers - both positively and negatively - as you so rightly say - it takes all types. we do need to be sensitive to one another and remember that not one group owns the right to use the canal to the exclusitivity of every one else.

Happy boating - canoeing - fishing!

Tim

:lol:

err and sorry.

The only fish I catch are in a Tesco freezer area.

But I like to read some of these anglers -v- boater posts.

The thing that always eludes my simple mind is this:

I have a mental pic of a fisherman on the bank, followed by a boat approaching the fishermans spot.

The boater then says he 'moves over'..

Over to where? Further to the right hand side?

But when I read the fishers bit - seems his line is RIGHT OVER the other side?

Yep, sure I MUST BE A BIT DIM, but at what point does the fishing line pass cleanly below the boat?

Edited by Sue1946

Well I have always said up until now that I have not had serious issues with fishermen.

However two separate incidents today, at two entirely different locations have left me stunned by the sheer pig ignorance of the two morons involved.

Both involved (different) fishing matches - this seems to provoke rage that is perhaps lacking at other times.

First incident.

I had left a lock, with moored boats on the non towpath side, and match fishermen lined up with long poles on the towpath. I was going at barely more than tickover, (because of both), and they were doing the usual brinksmanship of only pulling the poles out of the way just before our front end got there.

I thought one bloke looked like he was pushing the limits, when suddenly he came to, and yanked the pole away. He then let out a tirade of abuse along the lines of "You f**king c**t, why didn't you use your hooter. You f**king a***hole, you could have wrecked my equipment".... etc. etc. Stupidly I tried to reason with him, explaining that one gets used to people only pulling their pole in at the last minute, and that if I had blasted my hooter at every fisherman I saw, most wouldn't take too kindly to it.

His behaviour got very aggressive, and not wanting further trouble, I backed down.

Interestingly, as I got about 3 fisherman further along, one called out to me, and said "Alright mate! Don't worry about it, there's always one idiot", or words to that effect.

Second Incident.

5 miles further on, next town, we need to stop for a supermarket and supplies. Reverse situation this time. Match fishermen on non towpath side, line of moored boats on towpath. There is a convenient place to moor on the towpath, about one and a half boat lengths long, between an otherwise fairly continuous line of boats.

Muggins is up the back trying to get boat into gap without causing too much wash, whilst Cath is at the front, apparently getting a tirade of abuse. "Absolutely un f**king believable! This stupid c**t is going to put his boat there! The f**king bastard has ruined my whole day. I can't f**king believe it! What a c**t........" etc, etc.

Learning my lesson from last time, we both said nothing. I sat inside for about 15 minutes whilst Cath shopped, thinking "he's not going to be too impressed when he has re-baited the area, and we set off again". :lol:

I could hear him swearing away for most of that time, but I think someone may have had words with him before we cast off, as he was distinctly more subdued when we did.

I suggest both give up canal fishing, and go instead to some piece of water where us "f**king c**ts"" are not trying to enjoy our boats.

What a pair of complete and utter pillocks. (Nice to see them getting so much pleasure from their hobby though! :lol: )

Alan

Well I have always said up until now that I have not had serious issues with fishermen.

However two separate incidents today, at two entirely different locations have left me stunned by the sheer pig ignorance of the two morons involved.

Both involved (different) fishing matches - this seems to provoke rage that is perhaps lacking at other times.

First incident.

I had left a lock, with moored boats on the non towpath side, and match fishermen lined up with long poles on the towpath. I was going at barely more than tickover, (because of both), and they were doing the usual brinksmanship of only pulling the poles out of the way just before our front end got there.

I thought one bloke looked like he was pushing the limits, when suddenly he came to, and yanked the pole away. He then let out a tirade of abuse along the lines of "You f**king c**t, why didn't you use your hooter. You f**king a***hole, you could have wrecked my equipment".... etc. etc. Stupidly I tried to reason with him, explaining that one gets used to people only pulling their pole in at the last minute, and that if I had blasted my hooter at every fisherman I saw, most wouldn't take too kindly to it.

His behaviour got very aggressive, and not wanting further trouble, I backed down.

Interestingly, as I got about 3 fisherman further along, one called out to me, and said "Alright mate! Don't worry about it, there's always one idiot", or words to that effect.

Second Incident.

5 miles further on, next town, we need to stop for a supermarket and supplies. Reverse situation this time. Match fishermen on non towpath side, line of moored boats on towpath. There is a convenient place to moor on the towpath, about one and a half boat lengths long, between an otherwise fairly continuous line of boats.

Muggins is up the back trying to get boat into gap without causing too much wash, whilst Cath is at the front, apparently getting a tirade of abuse. "Absolutely un f**king believable! This stupid c**t is going to put his boat there! The f**king bastard has ruined my whole day. I can't f**king believe it! What a c**t........" etc, etc.

Learning my lesson from last time, we both said nothing. I sat inside for about 15 minutes whilst Cath shopped, thinking "he's not going to be too impressed when he has re-baited the area, and we set off again". :lol:

I could hear him swearing away for most of that time, but I think someone may have had words with him before we cast off, as he was distinctly more subdued when we did.

I suggest both give up canal fishing, and go instead to some piece of water where us "f**king c**ts"" are not trying to enjoy our boats.

What a pair of complete and utter pillocks. (Nice to see them getting so much pleasure from their hobby though! :lol: )

Alan

I must commend you on your restrained response. I rather think that my response (particularly to the second incident) would have been a call to the police.

I must commend you on your restrained response. I rather think that my response (particularly to the second incident) would have been a call to the police.

Hmm,

I don't think it was ever going to be a Police matter in either case.

Now on the other hand a couple of men in white coats armed with a straight jacket.........

Hmm,

I don't think it was ever going to be a Police matter in either case.

Now on the other hand a couple of men in white coats armed with a straight jacket.........

That would have been another alternative.

I would have to disagree about it being a police matter.

People who go round shouting and screaming obscenities at other people just because the other people are going about their lawful business is very much a police matter.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to be the subject of a tirade of filthy abuse like that, especially when half of it was directed towards your lady.

I'm an angler and I say there is no excuse for such disgusting behaviour. I do think though, that the pillocks you mention are the ones who betray themselves for what they are

How you kept your temper, I have no idea - I would have found it difficult - fair play to you

How you kept your temper, I have no idea - I would have found it difficult - fair play to you

Actually I found the two incidents nothing short of totally bizarre, with my total crime in the first being to want to take my boat (very slowly) along the canal, and in the second wishing to "park up" for 20 minutes.

I'm surprised I didn't get angry, but to be honest my more likely reaction was going to be to burst out laughing, rather than getting riled.

I've encountered unreasonable behaviour before, but never before have I seen people getting quite so stressed out over what is supposed to be a relaxing sport.

I really can't get inside these people's brains, and do they really believe the crap they are uttering ? So I sound my horn at every fisherman with a pole in the water ? Um, I don't think so! Or fail to shop, because my boat might be floating in the best bit of fishery for miles ? .... As one of them said .... Un-f***ing believable!

We met many friendly fishermen this week too, (although could have done without those set up with total equipment including large keep nets right on lock mouths). There seems to me something about those competitions though - very few friendly faces in the serried ranks of these, although a few were prepared to raise a smile. At least I was able to furnish both these two losers with the perfect excuse why they failed to win the contest, (again, no doubt!).

Alan

Hi,

The 'Anglers' probably get fed up because sometimes quite big prize money is involved and you (legally using the canal) have robbed the guy of any chance of winning - no excuse for the behaviour though.

Fishing matches .... no way - a form of gambling - yes; - acceptable - no. Perhaps a photograph of the 'angler' showing the peg number and other details should be sent to BW and the Sec. of the Angling club that leased the rights to this stretch of water.

Albi.

Put your head where his was:

Nigel's won the damned cup now three years running, he's too big headed by half, and if it wasn't for that extra 1 oz in last year's comp, I'd have shown him....

I've been out every night this week checking the pegs...and I've bribed Reg for peg 6 (2 bottles of Teachers that cost me)....

Damn and Blast...Nigel's got Peg 4...again !....oh well, at least Reg came good........

Its going well so far....6lb 12oz....Nigel's caught a few I think but...fingers crossed.....

Eh..up.....what's this idiot doing ?.....oh no.........

:lol::lol::lol:

hehehe

Edited by US Marines

whilst Cath is at the front, apparently getting a tirade of abuse.

Interesting. Byelaw 43 (2) says that "No person shall use scurrilous, abusive, offensive or threatening language on or near any canal".

Richard

It wasn't Russell Brand was it?

Interesting. Byelaw 43 (2) says that "No person shall use scurrilous, abusive, offensive or threatening language on or near any canal".

Richard

It wasn't Russell Brand was it?

Might I suggest that at the very least, anybody who is subject to verbal abuse on the canals should fill in;

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/listenin...ent-report-form

Put your head where his was:

Nigel's won the damned cup now three years running, he's too big headed by half, and if it wasn't for that extra 1 oz in last year's comp, I'd have shown him....

I've been out every night this week checking the pegs...and I've bribed Reg for peg 6 (2 bottles of Teachers that cost me)....

Damn and Blast...Nigel's got Peg 4...again !....oh well, at least Reg came good........

Its going well so far....6lb 12oz....Nigel's caught a few I think but...fingers crossed.....

Eh..up.....what's this idiot doing ?.....oh no.........

:lol::lol::lol:

hehehe

Its still a level playing field ,unless Alan knows how to get past Nigels peg without going through it.

Its still a level playing field ,unless Alan knows how to get past Nigels peg without going through it.

Depends on how much reverse (etc) was used to moor up methinks .... and I'm guessing that might have depended upon just how polite the language was (not) ! :lol:

But now I'm judging Alan on how I would have reacted....

.......oh bother, sorry...need to move it forward another foot...again...

.......what was that you were saying ?

Edited by US Marines

Actually I felt I was being more fair to all the other anglers, as all but "Mr Angry" had a boat opposite them, so I was just doing the same for him, (albeit briefly).

I was a model of minimum throttle both on arrival, and departure. I felt trying to be as reasonable as I could, despite his idiocy, just served to show him up more.

Actually I felt I was being more fair to all the other anglers, as all but "Mr Angry" had a boat opposite them, so I was just doing the same for him, (albeit briefly).

I was a model of minimum throttle both on arrival, and departure. I felt trying to be as reasonable as I could, despite his idiocy, just served to show him up more.

I'm certain of it Alan - the tongue in cheek smiley was missing from my posts.

Having said that, I'm absolutely certain that I wouldn't have been as calm about it as you (hat off to you sir :lol: ) and I would have ensured that, somehow or other, he would seriously have regretted opening his filthy mouth in the short term, as well as in the long term.....

Edited by US Marines

First incident.

Second Incident.

You omitted your third incident - the fishermen at the lock landing - see

http://nbepiphany.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?..._serialNumber=1

You also omitted to recount the question I posed as you passed me while I was lockwheeling: "Are you Chalice?" I thought you said "No!" Which one of us is deaf? Or are we both? :lol:

PS Was the Wyvern Shipping mooring stake still under the Berkhamsted bridge?

You omitted your third incident - the fishermen at the lock landing - see

http://nbepiphany.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?..._serialNumber=1

You also omitted to recount the question I posed as you passed me while I was lockwheeling: "Are you Chalice?" I thought you said "No!" Which one of us is deaf? Or are we both? :lol:

PS Was the Wyvern Shipping mooring stake still under the Berkhamsted bridge?

Now they are defiantly taking the urine