Anglers and Canal Boaters

Featured Posts

Sorry Leo, I wasn't aware this was a competition. People who leave crap on the bankside are to be condemned whether the rubbish came from boat or tackle bag. I as a boater am more disgusted and embarrassed by boaters rubbish left around than by anglers leavings. It happens, the only point I wished to raise is that anglers rubbish is not confined to bait left behind because there is no harm in leaving it and no point in taking it. Some anglers, and some boaters act indefensibly. The presence of boaters rubbish does not cause anglers rubbish to disappear.

I always wonder at the mentality when I come under a bridge in the middle of nowhere and see a bag of rubbish there, obviously thrown from a passing boat. Why do they go boating in the first place if they want to end up in the middle of a rubbish dump. Dog owners who clear up after their dog and then deposit the bag in the offside bushes are in the same league.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to keep this post moving along i.e. Anglers and Canal Boaters -- Rubbish ?? Why leave out the walkers. I have fished the canals for years especially the Lee Navigation where around Waltham Abbey I have sat and watched walkers drop / throw away huge amounts of fast food wrappers and containers which other walkers tried blaming on me, as it was within throwing distance from me. Amazingly the person who blamed it on me actually stood in front of me and unwrapped a packet of cigarettes and dropped the wrapper on the floor in front of me, And of course I just had to point it out, and also tell him that the only thing I leave behind was my footprints, and maybe a sprinkling of bait which the birds soon clear up willingly.

• 1 month later...

and too really put the dog amongst the pigeons how about the dog walkers who dont clean up the crap or the boaters who with two dogs let them out too crap were ever

getting ready with defences against all the flak or s*** im going too get over this one should have bought a sub as i would be diving by now

It really is up to all of us to be more responsible about our own behaviour, and take our litter home, and that includes all of us canal and river users. It's not rocket science after all...you eat a sandwich, you stuff the empty wrapper in a pocket and dispose of it properly when you can. You have a dog? Be responsible and clean up after it! You're an angler? Don't leave bait tins or empty hook packets. If there was room in your bait bag to bring it to the bank full, then there's room to take it away empty!

I don't care whether the rubbish is left by boaters, cyclists, anglers or walkers. The fact is that it shouldn't be there! It's just ignorance, laziness and shows a total lack of respect for our environment and other waterways users.

Just don't get me started about dog mess.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janet

It really is up to all of us to be more responsible about our own behaviour, and take our litter home, and that includes all of us canal and river users. It's not rocket science after all...you eat a sandwich, you stuff the empty wrapper in a pocket and dispose of it properly when you can. You have a dog? Be responsible and clean up after it! You're an angler? Don't leave bait tins or empty hook packets. If there was room in your bait bag to bring it to the bank full, then there's room to take it away empty!

I don't care whether the rubbish is left by boaters, cyclists, anglers or walkers. The fact is that it shouldn't be there! It's just ignorance, laziness and shows a total lack of respect for our environment and other waterways users.

Janet

haha sorry janet i agree with all you have said and didnt mean too make your day with dogs mess .just think if boaters anglers and walkers all teamed up (fat chance) then we could all enjoy the waterways .

It's just ignorance, laziness and shows a total lack of respect for our environment and other waterways users.

Janet

That's the trouble, the ignorant bustards don't give a toss and will never be told. They shatter the peace and quiet with their sound systems too. :lol: Wrong topic.....

I like dogs but don't like following them around with a plastic bag so I don't have one, (dog). I've got plastic bags.....