Cyclists, do they belong on the towpath?

GSer

Featured Posts

I remember 2 summers ago, down at Kensal Green a lady was walking her nervous collie dog, when out of the blue a cyclist came belting along crashed into her dog, knocked the dog flying he got back on his bike and charged off, leaving the woman in shock and frantically looking for her dog. It happened the other side of Ladbroke Grove bridge, I was moored outside Sainsburys. I went up as far as Old Oak common to look for the poor dog but nowhere to be seen, her children put up notices along the canal but as far as I know she never found it :lol:

Wendy

I, too, am a boater and a cyclist and I agree tht cyclists are a serious problem. Like the other boater/cyclists here I tend to keep a reasonable pace, fast on clear stretches and slow around pedestrians. At tunnels I slow to a crawl pace and I tend to approach walkers with an 'excuse me' and 'can I pass on the outside' rather than the peremptory bell-tinging that the speed demons tend to use. I find the problem particularly bad between Islington and Victoria Park and I think it's not helped by the London Transport Executive promoting the route as a 'speedy cycle route' rather than a pedestrian right of way, which it is. The problem is caused by arrogant, often lycra-clad, goggled thugs who have no regard for people or moorings and see others as purely an obstacle to their own progress.

Unfortunately, as a cyclist I'm still shocked by some cyclists behaviour, (although cyclist could be replaced by boater, motorists, etc in that statement).

London seems to have more than it's fair share of "head case" cyclists, an attitude perhaps brought about from the history that if you weren't fairly aggressive cycling London's roads, you got intimidated too quickly.

I can't condone the behaviour of many cycling London's towpaths. There is a code of conduct, and they chose to ignore it, in the same way as other people trying to make some ill judged point will ignore the rules, (smokers in restaurants, that kind of thing).

It's a shame that in any group, bad behaviour by some, can give the far greater majority a bad name.

I think we need to increase cycle use in this country, not put further impediments in the way. Unfortunately some plonkers are not helping by whipping up strong feelings against that kind of view.

http://www.brmb.co.uk/article.asp?id=867576

The dog had fallen into the canal on Deykin Avenue, Birmingham by a lock gate and had become tightly wedged behind a canal ladder. A passing cyclist spotted the bewildered dog.

as people have said, there are idiot cyclists, idiot boaters, idiot drivers etc etc - the basics of it, in my opinion - there are Idiot People. There are people who are aware of their surroundings, and are aware they they are in a shared environment, and there are people who seem oblivious to their surroundings and believe they have the right to do as they please.

I met a boater whose dog was paralysed by a passing cyclist who very kindly gave his name and address. It was a fake

Sue

I know someone whose dog was running loose, on the towpath and attacked mine, biting his leg off. Never saw a penny of the promised vet's bill reimbursement, either.

A hire boat company owner laughed at me, when I suggested they withhold the deposit of a hirer, to pay for my canoe they crushed.

There are irresponsible and dishonest people about but the majority of dog owners keep their dogs under control, the majority of cyclists slow down and give way to pedestrians and the majority of hireboat companies are aware of their responisibilities.

If everybody stopped moaning about the behaviour of another group of towpath users and looked at their own irresponsible behaviour then we'd end up with a lot less to moan about.

The place for keen cyclists is either the road or a dedicated cycle network which this government should be investing in.

I doubt this government will invest properly into a dedicated cycle network, so the alternative is to use bridle paths, and cycle routes that Sustran have created. - Some are along tow paths.

Last night I was standing at the bow of my boat on the K&A, talking to a group of walkers about the canal and its facilities, it was a lovely early evening scene of traquility when all of a sudden 15(ish) cyclists came flying down the towpath, the lead rider was shouting ahead to clear the path for others, I would say they were doing 15mph (ish) maybe faster, one of the women in the walker group stood her ground, not unreasonably IMO, but had to jump out of the way of the lead rider when he showed no indication of slowing down and we all ended up crammed onto a foot or so of grass, while the cyclists passed.

One of the walkers were really upset and started remonstrating with the following group the only reaction was a couple of shoulder shruggs and a 'fek off' shouted back to us from a safe distance away down the canal.

Now I like the idea of cyclist being able to share the facility (the canal), but some are just travelling too quick compared to most other canal users, a typical cyclist appears to fat mid 30's lycra clad mountainbiker, 85 gears :lol: knobbly tyres , full suspension, you know "all the gear and no idea".

Nearly all other users use the canal at a snails pace, boats, anglers and walkers, all seem to get along OK till the 'sports' cyclists turn up.

They just don't seem to fit?

Or do they?

Paul

ps I've nothing against people just bimbling along back from the pub or to the shops its the racers that seem to cause the most conflict IMO.

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days now wondering whether to join the fun.

Being a boater, runner, dog ownwer and cyclist I can't really add much that won't read as biased although Grahoom and Alan Fincher reflect my views pretty well.

However, ask yourself these questions.

How often have you been upset by a speeding cyclist?

How often have you been upset by a speeding boater?

My money is on more of the latter especially if you live aboard.

On the same subject but a lighter note.

When I was in the oil business the most unlikely accident report imaginable came across my desk.

It was a collision between an offshore supply vessel and a Honda 50 in Vietnam.

To summarise:

The Honda 50 was driven too fast on the quayside. Especially in view of it's near useless brakes.

The rider lost control and went off the jetty, collided with the vessel before ending up in the drink.

The boat was not damaged, the bike was a write off and the (ex) rider got a broken leg.

His mates were in a big hurry to rescue the bike though.

Edited by andywatson

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days now wondering whether to join the fun.

Being a boater, runner, dog ownwer and cyclist I can't really add much that won't read as biased although Grahoom and Alan Fincher reflect my views pretty well.

However, ask yourself these questions.

How often have you been upset by a speeding cyclist?

How often have you been upset by a speeding boater?

My money is on more of the latter especially if you live aboard.

I'm in a permanent state of upset, don't get me started on ducks and swans, and 'Kinfishers. :lol:

I just really wanted to ask the question "do cyclists fit in alongside other leisure users on the canal network" I think in the case of sports/mountain biker type speeding lycra louts, they do not, the speed differential is too great.

Paul

I haven't read the whole topic but in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, it is important to understand that

CYCLISTS ARE SAVING THE PLANET FROM CERTAIN DESTRUCTION

This is something to be applauded and if while saving the planet they become inconsiderate idiots, as many cyclists do, specially on towpaths, then that is simply a small negative aspect of the hard job they do saving the planet from certain destruction and while it may have an impact on individuals at the time it is important to understand that these people actually ARE saving the planet and that the long term overall result will be that the human race will continue to survive. Which is nice.

No, cyclists don't belong on the towpath, it just doesn't work.

If you want to save the planet do it on a motorway or something, where there are no pedestrians.

if you need help please contact totalrantsolutions.net

Surely the key issue is space? If the towpath is nice and wide and there's space to step aside for cyclists, then all well and good (espacially if everyone makes the effort to be considerate and friendly). If the towpath is narrow and overgrown and the only way to avoid a cyclist is to jump in a hedge or into the cut, then I don't think they should be cycling there.

The activity which really worries me is cyclists who bowl round and under bridges 'blind' (often nearly decapitating themselves in the process). If the path drops or twists to take the towpath under the bridge there's no way you can see if there's anyone walking the other way until you hit them. If anyone were walking the other way they'd have no chance, because there isn't the room or the time to react. It makes me wince every time I see this - it's an accident waiting to happen (and for once I think the use of that phrase is justified!).

Probably because of the wet summer no one has mentioned the dust the cyclists generate. Last summer I took a walk beside the river at Reading, I ended up curtailing it and going home for a shower. Walking through choking dust was horrid.

Sue

no - because it's a wet summer people have mentioned the mud cyclists make. - after all, cyclists are to be blamed for most things that can't be blamed on fishermen.....

Take away cyclists and you take away a third of canal users on some canals, you would just be left with runners, walkers and fishermen. If you want the canals to die off start banning people.

Some canals have taken measures to slow cyclists down with mixed results.

They are not canal users they are tow path users.

I struggle with coming to terms with footpaths that are designated also as cycleways....especially where the footpath/pavement is narrow.....but because a blue sign is up showing peds and cyclists then its full steam ahead and sod any one else....this is not a minority....it is the norm.

Im going to get swmbo to take a vid next week of our journey home along Chelsea Embankment just to show the risks taken by cyclists mixing it with HGV's, coaches and cars. especially the two I saw last last night who jumpped every red light they came to.

I struggle with coming to terms with footpaths that are designated also as cycleways....especially where the footpath/pavement is narrow.....but because a blue sign is up showing peds and cyclists then its full steam ahead and sod any one else....this is not a minority....it is the norm.

Im going to get swmbo to take a vid next week of our journey home along Chelsea Embankment just to show the risks taken by cyclists mixing it with HGV's, coaches and cars. especially the two I saw last last night who jumpped every red light they came to.

I'd rather a cyclist hit me, riding too fast on a footway, than I hit him, driving too fast on the road.