Smelly Porta Potti

Biggles

Featured Posts

Hi

The "collection" side of the loo has a very nasty niff about it. I use the chemical as directed, in fact probably a bit more.

Does this part need a special clean with something once in a while like a good strong bleaching?

Biggles

Hi

The "collection" side of the loo has a very nasty niff about it. I use the chemical as directed, in fact probably a bit more.

Does this part need a special clean with something once in a while like a good strong bleaching?

Biggles

You don't say what you are using. We use bio magic and no problems. In my opinion Blue & green stink

Sue

Are we totally unique that we seem to have no problems at all with conventional "Blue"?

Stink is never a problem, and, after all, you don't exactly have the trap open for long for odours to escape, do you?

If the seals are working, there is no possibility of smells, except when the trap is opened to flush.

I know we really should switch to something less environmentally damaging, but "Blue" does at least do what it's intended to do.

We actually use it a bit less concentrated than they suggest, and it seems just fine.

It seems some of the alternatives don't work as well?

Hi

Biggles

This is a little different! It's only pump outs that are supposed to have the problem with smell, allegedly. :lol:

Are we totally unique that we seem to have no problems at all with conventional "Blue"?

Stink is never a problem, and, after all, you don't exactly have the trap open for long for odours to escape, do you?

If the seals are working, there is no possibility of smells, except when the trap is opened to flush.

Unfortunately when the trap is open is when you're in proximity and it doesn't take odours long to escape.

It certainly used to put my guests off and I didn't like it much either.

This is a little different! It's only pump outs that are supposed to have the problem with smell, allegedly. :lol:

According to whom? Any size box containing waste with a headspace on top will have to displace the same volume of putrid gasses as any extra waste put in. The escaping putrid gasses will take the path of least resistance, which in the case of most portapottis and direct dump through pump outs is straight back up through the open trap into your nose!

I get to work on quite a lot of boats and I can fairly accurately predict cassette or dump through toilets are fitted the moment I step aboard, the smell ranges from the obvious to the overpowering smell of blue that I don't think is a lot better either.

Like most things you just live with the various smells and after a while you don't notice them anymore.

Decent macerating toilet pump out setups don't smell at all inside the boat if proper expensive sanitary hose or ABS pipe is used but can whiff a bit if you are stood next to the vent outlet outside when someone flushes. (You can get charcoal filters to prevent this.)

Hi

Biggles

Try leaving the flap slightly open, it will help reduce anerobic (without oxygen) decomposition which largely causes the smell.

cheers,

Pete.

It is only when the thing is flushed and the air is displaced. It was my understanding that the chemical would stop this as well as break down the contents. The new bio blue smell a lot nicer and I also put a drop in the flush water. All my seals are good. The smell not surprisingly is is like Calor Gas (other brands are available) LOL.

Is is a Sueb suggests that the new chemical is not a lot of good.

The people that used the bio washing powder mix........ Was that in addition to some form of blue.

BIggles

I know we really should switch to something less environmentally damaging, but "Blue" does at least do what it's intended to do.

We actually use it a bit less concentrated than they suggest, and it seems just fine.

It seems some of the alternatives don't work as well?

Your not alone Alan

I must admit also to actually liking the smell of neat "blue"

Mind you I also like the smell of diesel and a newly opend tin of grease

I hope you have a typical boat layout, them, with main bedroom sandwiched between loo and engine room.

With luck, you can relax in bed and smell the whole lot!

I did hear of someone absolutely addicted to the smell of creosote - mind you, she was pregnant at the time!

I hope you have a typical boat layout, them, with main bedroom sandwiched between loo and engine room.

With luck, you can relax in bed and smell the whole lot!

I did hear of someone absolutely addicted to the smell of creosote - mind you, she was pregnant at the time!

Lol

Described to a T

Your not alone Alan

YUM! :lol:

i rather liked the arrangement the Alnwicks had with the chemicals in their lavatory. It might be worth doing a search to see whether they have posted on here about what they use.

Following on from a recent discussion about tests on toilet fluid, I use Blue in the bottom tank (the marinas own, cheap version!) and disinfectant (cheap, "ocean fresh") in the top tank (300ml in 15 litres water). Quite cheap, and works very well! Seems to be the best combination I have tested so far!

However, pink in the top tank also works well. I also give the top and bottom tank a damn good clean (with ecover washing up liquid!) every few weeks!

I tend to store the spare tank full for up to a week, and there is very little smell when emptied!

From what I read on here, everyone seems to have their own ways!

• 2 years later...

It is advisable to use a good quality “blue” toilet fluid, such as Fenwick’s Blue Jon, for the bottom tank to break down the solids and mask the bad odour with a nice citrus smell. In addition you should always use a good quality “pink”, such as Fenwick’s Lily the Pink, for the top flush tank. Lily also contains slip agent to stop the build-up of “black bits” (algae), plus a lubricant to keep the toilet seals in best condition, without which they may very well dry out and leak. The web site www.toiletblue.co.uk explains this all very well.