Help wanted please

Madmark62

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, we are new to boating and having just bought our boat, we wanted to moor at Brighouse marina, no problem with that. But I have been told that to use the locks on the Calder and Hebble Navigation I will need something called a handspike, as well as a windlass.

Can anyone actually tell me what they are for? Do they open the paddles instead of the windlass?

Any info will be gratefully received.

Mark

PS. please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place.

yes, the hs is instead of a windlass. its abit of wood 30pounds from legard bridge or get some 4x2 from the diy shop for 10p

2x2 I'd say. I got a hardwood one from Aspley Wharf Marina in Huddersfield (after we got back from the C&H having used a bit of 2x2) and it was a tenner, a couple of years ago. It is a thing of beauty and a fearsome weapon.

2x2 I'd say. I got a hardwood one from Aspley Wharf Marina in Huddersfield (after we got back from the C&H having used a bit of 2x2) and it was a tenner, a couple of years ago. It is a thing of beauty and a fearsome weapon.

Thanks for that , looks like a trip to Huddersfield is needed then, because I am not very good with a plane and saw.lol :lol:

Thanks for that , looks like a trip to Huddersfield is needed then, because I am not very good with a plane and saw.lol :lol:

Hi

Make sure to buy a piece of Hardwood (oak?)

The locks are strune with bits of broken 3x2 soft wood.

Plane down one end to form a comfitable handle - like a baseball bat

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone, we are new to boating and having just bought our boat, we wanted to moor at Brighouse marina, no problem with that. But I have been told that to use the locks on the Calder and Hebble Navigation I will need something called a handspike, as well as a windlass.

Can anyone actually tell me what they are for? Do they open the paddles instead of the windlass?

Any info will be gratefully received.

Mark

PS. please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place.

A couple of pictures:

Gate Paddle

103948639.jpg

Ground Paddle - Shepley Bridge Lock

103948644.jpg

Tim

Possible silly question :- Would a sledge hammer handle do ?

I will take one with me next week and let you know .

Thanks to everyone that has answered my question and if you are ever in Brighouse basin (after next weekend) and you see Lady of Locharber, come on over and have a natter, promise I wont bite , (well not too hard anyway) :lol:

Possible silly question :- Would a sledge hammer handle do ?

Proberbly would be fine tbh.

- We made use of a peice of 2x2 softwood which having previously been a peice of 2X4 drift wood that simply made a detour before becoming kindling.

- If the canal was your local then a shaped hardwood item would be the way, but for anyone just passing through as long as it pretty stright grained 3ft of 2x2 softwood did use fine.

The hole in the gear is 2x3 inch, with the diameter (lenth needed) being 5inchs.

- I guess the idea with using 4x2 tapored is to have it down to 3x2 5inchs from the end, so it cant go all the way through and foul the far side. Again a nice to have, but not nessary for a single passage.

Daniel