Mooring pins

Theo

Featured Posts

In the 5 or so months and 1365 miles of this cruise normal use has modified three of my mooring pins:

1. The top knob of the old plain one that we have has broken off.

2. The top knob of one of the new ones with the triangle through which top pass the rope has also broken off.

3. Both of the bars which form the triangles mentioned above have broken off. This is simply from the shock of the pin's acceleration as it is hammered in.

Pretty rubbish welding, I would say.

Nick

I never use toothpicks to secure a boat or a toffee hammer to drive them in.

I get my 3' army tent pegs from Anchor army surplus stores and use a sledge hammer to sink them.

What do you use to get them out?

Gibbo

I have no idea what they are called, or what exactly they are used for but a friend of ours, on the same mooring, works for a contractor who does road works and the like. They're about 2ft 6ins long, and about an inch wide with what I can only easily describe as thin strips of rounded steel (so as not to chafe the rope) going up them in barber pole style.

I have just spent a few minutes Googling for a picture of one... but can only find this.. they aren't just straight bar though, they have a point on one end with a nice, wide, rounded head on them which, with mooring on the Bridgewater, are constantly used, and show no sign of deteriorating whatsoever.

Rebar-Protectors-big.jpg

Yeah that's exactly it...

I thought it was only a few of us on the moorings who used them, as I didn't know what they were used for and why but I'm starting to see alot more of them now.

Gibbo

The 3ft tent spikes / ground anchor spikes are hexagonal and are forged with an integral eye in the top. this eye is for a 'tommy bar' which is used to rotate the spike a few times when you want to get it out. because it is hexagonal the hole made by rotating it will be round and slightly larger than the spike itself allowing easy removal from the earth.

Gibbo

I got mine out with the magnet :lol:

Has anyone tried those spiral spikes like wot you get to tie dogs to when you go camping etc? My main problem with pins is that they pull out along the ground but with a spiral this would not happen....

Just a thought.... :lol:

I've used them spiral anchors when winching my old FC101 out of the mud but they don't like lateral movement in soft ground and can pull up a hefty bit of the local scenery if and when they work loose. as a result I always ened up using two in tandem.

And they don't like rocks.

How much movement do you GET on your pins?

We've got a handfull of midlands best stakes (£4 a pop or whatever they are) which are usfull for lunch stops or very hardground and have only had one fail (one weld on eye) but we also have some longer ones we got our local blacksmith to knock up for us which are used for softer/longer moors!

Daniel

I'm going to try a few of these...

Exactly what I use when I need to moor where there's no rings or piling having had several experiences of the normal pins pulling out. I actually use three of them to even out the loadings, and whilst moored at crick this year they didn't move despite the rain and the trip boats going past for two days.

Peter

edit to add : I also find one of the 'long thin' variety of piling hooks makes quite a good tommy bar for screwing them in!

Edited by Peter R