IWA National Festival 23rd-25th August 2008, Autherley

Featured Posts

I thought I would get the ball rolling on this as I will be away next week in the run up to the event.

I will be there from Fridaaay evening (as early as w**k commitments will allow) through to Monday(as late as I dare leave to get back form w**k next day). I would love to meet up with a few other forum members while I am there and I already know one or two friends will be there so lets here from the rest of you who might be thinking of attending and get some serious bantering planned :lol:

The best thing is that I will be staying ALL WEEKEND and do not have to drive until Monday so I can sample some that wonderful ale that will be lined up in the beer tent!

http://www.waterways.org.uk/Events/IWANationalFestival08

Edited by NB Alnwick
Link to official Website added

I thought I would get the ball rolling on this as I will be away next week in the run up to the event.

I will be there from Fridaaay evening (as early as w**k commitments will allow) through to Monday(as late as I dare leave to get back form w**k next day). I would love to meet up with a few other forum members while I am there and I already know one or two friends will be there so lets here from the rest of you who might be thinking of attending and get some serious bantering planned :lol:

The best thing is that I will be staying ALL WEEKEND and do not have to drive until Monday so I can sample some that wonderful ale that will be lined up in the beer tent!

http://www.waterways.org.uk/Events/IWANationalFestival08

I will be there for the duration (Am working the Lavender boat during the day!). Now that we ahve fixed it Fulbourne will be there to!.

Am always up for a drink.

Tim

We were going then took a booking on our boat (which we had thought about going off on). Now decided to go boating anyway and hired the new tug from Middlewich. It sleeps 6 so we are also taking parents for added merriment !

Caldon here I come for first time.

Ok lets get the usual when where problem out of the way! The banter traditionally is at 12:00 in the beer tent.

I suggest this tradition continues with other arrangements being made from there.

No I won't do a poll (don't know how to) but those that disagree will shout I am sure!

Dave

So, if that's 12 in the beer tent, is that every day?

Also, how does one identify the banter (for those that have never met anyone from the forum) and how does one get recognised as being "from the forum"?

Also, how does one identify the banter (for those that have never met anyone from the forum) and how does one get recognised as being "from the forum"?

The traditional way of getting recognised (a la Bazza) is to walk in wearing your leather jacket [the one with Triumph embroidered on the back] and stick a silver stilletto in each pocket!

One or two of us have pics on our profiles (which may make you decide to wear a disguise in case any of us recognise you!)

It has also been known for a forum member to walk up to a likely looking group and ask ............ only to be told by the likes of Baldock and Moley "never heard of it mate"

Sorry I don't know what works best for you but come and find us anyway!

Edited by cheshire~rose

Some of the boats will have a canalworld sticker in the window. Early research may result in a pre-banter cuppa!

Not great timing, but I'd actually like to pass through Autherley junction over that weekend on the boat - will it still be passable ?

The Moles are passing through as well!

There are already a number of craft starting to moor there. There are not too many locks. I suspect they may open the stop lock for the duration of the event?

I would guess so; there is no difference in the levels is there?

If that were true then YSL windlass would have had no work to do last weekend but even though the difference in water level was really not visible to the eye and a boat had only just come through towards us I still had to open the paddle before opening the gate :lol:

If that were true then YSL windlass would have had no work to do last weekend but even though the difference in water level was really not visible to the eye and a boat had only just come through towards us I still had to open the paddle before opening the gate :lol:

Is there a measured "drop" on this lock? Many locks say they are a rise/fall of x feet and y inches - does anyone happen to know what this one is measured as?

Edited to add that if I had a map at home, I would look it up; but I don't, so can't

Edited by AlanJ

Is there a measured "drop" on this lock? Many locks say they are a rise/fall of x feet and y inches - does anyone happen to know what this one is measured as?

Edited to add that if I had a map at home, I would look it up; but I don't, so can't

I think its only a couple of inches.

According to Canalplan it is 6" but I really do not think it was that much on Sunday when we came through. I guess the difference will depend on the levels of the two adjoining canals but the Staffs & Worcs has seemed quite low to me along that stretch the last 2 weeks.

This might be a really stupid question but I can't find any information on the IWA site...

What car parking is there available for those of us driving to the event? I can see they are really pushing the public transport aspect, but that isn't going to be feasible for us...

Having never been to one of these festivals before, I wouldn't know what to expect :lol:

This might be a really stupid question but I can't find any information on the IWA site...

What car parking is there available for those of us driving to the event? I can see they are really pushing the public transport aspect, but that isn't going to be feasible for us...

Having never been to one of these festivals before, I wouldn't know what to expect :lol:

Me too. I mean we are going by car and I agree - no info about car parking anywhere I can see either. Incidently, we will be staying Thurs, Fri and Sat night in our narrowboat on wheels, aka a caravan. (I am allowed to mention these in this Forum?)

(PS How do you spell incidently?)

Edited by jelunga

There is usually sufficient parking because they are wanting to attract as many people as possible. I have never had a problem parking at any of the festivals I have attended.