IWA National Festival 23rd-25th August 2008, Autherley

Featured Posts

On the IWA website there's a link to a google maps image, with the main sites marked. It includes the car park, which appears to be a short walk away from the main site. Map is here.

Oh, and we'll be there on Sunday.

Edited by adam1uk

We'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I expect to be helping out on the Lancaster Canal Trust stand - so drop by and say "Hi". On Sunday we'll try and find some CWF members in the beer tent at 12:00. :lol: //Mike

Emilyanne will be there thoughtout the event.

- We are planning to arrive late friday afternooon and i will be around till sunday evening (work monday).

Our mooring is fairly near the site and we're planning to remain in steam throughout the weekend.

Might even don an emilyanne tshirt while we at it, but certainly your all welcome aboard to say hi!!

Daniel

We'll be passing through by boat probably on Sunday, but maybe Monday.

We will definitely want to stop and have a look around, but will there be any where to moor for a minimum of several hours, but possibly overnight?

Probably not near the site. The 300+ boats there will have paid for their weekend mooring. It should be possible to moor somewhere and bus in. Try Compton, Coven or Brewood. I don't know about busses.

Sue

I always reckon the stop lock difference is about a foot - but it may vary with the inflow on the SU side of the outflow from Barnhurst Water Treatment Works and from inflow on the S&W side from Barnhurst and Coven Water Treatment Works.

All of which means the hotter it gets the more water (from Wolverhampton vis Barnhurst) enters both canals on their summit levels and so there are no worries about water supply for rally boats or in hot summers. I also understand the water is of top (safe) quality when it leaves the works but it is rapidly polluted by seagulls who hang out on the outflows.

We have seen people off holiday boats swimming in the canals near Autherley!

Watch out for the Rochdale Canal Society promotions caravan and maybe buy a tasteful plastic alarm clock painted with roses, I will probably be selling off some boaty bits of my own, nice portholes?

Anyway stop by for a chat, or a quarrel if you prefer.

Edited by John Orentas

Watch out for the Rochdale Canal Society promotions caravan and maybe buy a tasteful plastic alarm clock painted with roses, I will probably be selling off some boaty bits of my own, nice portholes?

Anyway stop by for a chat, or a quarrel if you prefer.

Oh are the crossbow bolts tastefuly decorated with roses as well ???

Chris

On the subject it has been mooted that we might have a 'free to a good home' box outside the boat full of old tat boating goodies that we no longer have need for!

Daniel

And the mooring number is? I need a new chimney for my Kubota!

Sadly no spare funnel or chimney like items will feature, although if you have a suitable part, ours is a little dented...

Items so far (from memory):

- Fabricated steel boat hook end.

- Brass 'water' badge/plate thingy.

- Sealent pump/gun jobbie.

- Several largly unused wirebrushes.

- Small aluminum single-vee pulley.

- Pair of half decent engineers clamps.

- Table leg and fittings for removable table.

- And a proberbly quite a few other bits as well.

Daniel

Just spoken with Pat Barton and she says the campsite is 3 miles away from the festival site. Poo! She's trying to assure me it's a lot closer via the towpath, but with rain forecast I don't fancy slipping and sliding for 2 miles each way.

Does anyone know the towpath and the route from the racecourse, and exactly how accessible it is on foot in wet conditions? Is it a gravel/paved towpath or does it have swamp potential?

Might just go for one day if it's poo... :lol:

I thought you were away this weekend Bones. Are you going to make it after all?

If so, I'm sure that there's a spare berth on a boat somewhere. We'll be on the campsite, getting wet and muddy! Unfortunately we don't have any spare space, otherwise we'd love to have you stay with us.

Any volunteers to put up a skellington for a night or two? I have it on good authority that she cooks a wicked curry....

Janet

I thought you were away this weekend Bones. Are you going to make it after all?

If so, I'm sure that there's a spare berth on a boat somewhere. We'll be on the campsite, getting wet and muddy! Unfortunately we don't have any spare space, otherwise we'd love to have you stay with us.

Any volunteers to put up a skellington for a night or two? I have it on good authority that she cooks a wicked curry....

Janet

Well, I am off to Holland on business on Sunday, I was going to fly out on saturday but it was better to do so on Sunday. I have to be at Birmingham airport by.. erm... hmm... better find the ticket - 10am I think. As the IWA isn't far away I am thinking perhaps it might be good to go along. There are a few things I would like to know a bit more about, and I notice the Rochdale Canal Society are going to be there, and I would rather like to have a chat with them, and hear about it all before our big trip. So, it could be the ideal opportunity. Maffi is going to drive me up to B'ham airport on sunday morning (I had intended to get the train, but you know how it is - skellingtons don't have brains, and so they book their tickets THINKING there will be a train when there isn't), and so I thought maybe we could both go up on the saturday and that makes a short trip to the airport on the Sunday and home afterwards.

I did think about camping, but ye old bones aren't well and as I have to work on the Sunday I thought it would be daft... I have called a few B&Bs but they are full, so I will call a few more when I get the chance (busy tomorrow, but thursday is looking ok) and if something comes up not too expensive I will be in the beeeeeer tent at midday with himself on Saturday.