River Soar

Ernie

Featured Posts

Loughborough Lock Emergency Stoppage

Tuesday 15 July 2008 - Tuesday 29 July 2008

Following reports of damage to the cill, Loughborough Lock has been closed for inspection and repair.

We anticipate that the lock will be closed for two weeks The nearest downstream turning point is the river downstream of Bishops Meadow Lock. There is no suitable turning point between Bishops Meadow Lock and Loughborough Lock.

Upstream turning points can be found at Pillings Marina or Loughborough Canal Basin.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Enquiries: 01636 704481

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-river...ating/stoppages

Loughborough Lock Emergency Stoppage

Tuesday 15 July 2008 - Tuesday 29 July 2008

Following reports of damage to the cill, Loughborough Lock has been closed for inspection and repair.

We anticipate that the lock will be closed for two weeks The nearest downstream turning point is the river downstream of Bishops Meadow Lock. There is no suitable turning point between Bishops Meadow Lock and Loughborough Lock.

Upstream turning points can be found at Pillings Marina or Loughborough Canal Basin.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Enquiries: 01636 704481

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-river...ating/stoppages

Just a quick note to say if there is anything we can do to help boaters in the area please do contact our office. We have plenty of berths free for short term usage if anyone wants to cut short their cruise and pick it up later in the season when Loughborough Lock has been fixed. Or if you have any other problems, don't be scared to call us! Paul @ Pilling's Lock Marina

Edited by Liam

Just a quick note to say if there is anything we can do to help boaters in the area please do contact our office. We have plenty of berths free for short term usage if anyone wants to cut short their cruise and pick it up later in the season when Loughborough Lock has been fixed. Or if you have any other problems, don't be scared to call us! Paul @ Pilling's Lock Marina

A most generous offer!

A most generous offer!

I'd just like to clarify that the word "FREE" was highlighted in red by the site monitors....just around the same time carlt replied to the comment.

It's amazing how an offer to help boaters posted on here in good faith is tampered with by site adminsitrators....tsk!

Needless to say we're here to help out.

Edited by pillingslock

You don't get anything for free in this world!

Dear All, I will just clarify (although this may be edited again by Liam or reported as most of my posts do!) we meant 'free'as in vacant for use by visiting boats.

We have been contacted by BW though, who have agreed to subsidise fees incurred as a result of the stoppage whereby the customers cruise has been interrupted.

As I have said before, we're here to help so please get in touch. Paul

I'd just like to clarify that the word "FREE" was highlighted in red by the site monitors....just around the same time carlt replied to the comment.

It's amazing how an offer to help boaters posted on here in good faith is tampered with by site adminsitrators....tsk!

Needless to say we're here to help out.

Sorry Paul, my post was supposed to be tongue in cheek, I didn't think anyone would genuinely misinterpret your post.

This is still a generous offer, imho.

Inland marinas rarely offer themselves as safe havens (with a fair charge), unlike their salty counterparts.

My apologies, again.

Yes, yes, yes,

I know I can phone BW.

But before I do, does anybody have any further update on this stoppage.

We sort of had half an idea to head up this way within the next week, but this might have scuppered it.

Two weeks kind of sounds a long while to fix a damaged cill, so I'm guessing it's not quite that straightforward ?

Smudge called BW today as we were aiming to head that way next week, they said they couldn't say for sure how long it will take for the repairs until the lock has been drained and they can assess the damage. We are hoping to do the leicester ring so we'll just go the other direction and contact them again as we get nearer.

Smudge called BW today as we were aiming to head that way next week, they said they couldn't say for sure how long it will take for the repairs until the lock has been drained and they can assess the damage. We are hoping to do the leicester ring so we'll just go the other direction and contact them again as we get nearer.

Thanks, very helpful.

I kind of assumed as it's been a few days now that they would already have drained the lock and assessed the damage, but there you go. :lol:

Took a walk along the towpath to look at the lock. BW were hard at work preparing to drain it to try and identify the problem. Stop planks were in place at the top and bracing to prevent the locks walls moving all in place. They were fitting the bottom stop planks. The next job was scaffolding. All the pumps were on site. It was good to see work taking place on a Sunday. Incidentally they had two crane barges plus tug and hoppers on site. The foreman also said they would repair the ground paddle which has been out of action for many months whilst the lock was drained.

I took a few photos with my mobile phone which I'll attempt to link!!

LL6.jpg

LL5.jpg

LL3.jpg

Thanks Richard,

Am I the only one who finds it slightly disappointing that on a major route it has taken them this long to only get this far ?

Other emergency stoppages seem to progress a bit faster, in my experience.

One has to hope that the large old style mud hopper and work flat in your picture are not amongst those currently being auctioned off!

Obviously not everything is yet done using the new style equipment, (although can I see a new style pusher tug actually working?).

I (maybe wrongly) feel that us poor soar boaters suufer from complaincency from BW due to the lack of Hire traffic we see ! (Its such a scary river you see.... :lol: )

Repairs for instance , seem to be carried on the Llangollen , T&M etc where there are lots of hire craft !

You Only have to look at BW waterpoints on the GU Leicester / Soar - Foxton , Kilby , Barrow (Limited access space) & Bishops meadow

Unlike the T&M on the CAnal time route plenty !!

Having moored at barrow for over a year I know the main problem with stopping for watering up. He's called Frank and runs 'Barrow Boating'. He deliberately leaves his tatty hire boats tied up adjacent to the tap area...

This stops people using the mooring, he does the same trick on the 24hr mooring futher along the bank....

All because he fell out with the owner of the Navigation pub and wants to stop people mooring up for a beer!

Check it out for yourself next time you pass this spot, the 'rent a wrecks' all have green paint jobs.

RIver Soar open as from 11.30 Sunday morning. Went down to have a look and found the stop planks out and BW preparing to let a boat up. Very quickly hot footed it up the towpath to find friends who had been the second boat in the queue and helped them through the lock. See pictures - .LL2708-1.jpgLL2708-2.jpgSpoke to BW foreman the problem was that the bottom timber cill on the towpath side gate had lifted as had the concrete behind it. Therefore it was impossible for the lock to find a level. This has now been repaired along with the broken paddle. Good to find the lock open two days early.

Edited by Richard T

I take it Loughborough lock IS still open.............narrowboatworld are reporting (yesterday) that it'll be shut until 11th August!!!??????? wrong again!? :lol:

Hi I phoned British waterway yesterday and it is open!! :lol: