Getting onto the roof

Featured Posts

I wonder if someone could help me. I am about to purchase a second-hand boat, a tug style trad-backed narrow boat. I have noticed that the boat has no brackets at the back to enable me to step from the steering position to the roof - a manoeuvre I shall have to accomplish when locking. Some boats I have used in the past have one on each side; some I have seen have just one in the doorway, at the steering position. Is either set up better regarded, safer, stronger? I am concerned, too, by the relative cost.

I apologise if this is too basic a question for the forum, but it is one which is important to me.

Many thanks.

Ones on the exterior of the boat can be tapped into the steelwork of the cabin-sides.

That is a very secure arrangement.

Whether you can put one as effectively within the hatches must surely be determined by whether there is anything strong enough to anchor it to. Many boats would't have structure there to support a person.

I often use ours, (on the cabin-sides), to get on and off lock-sides without actually standing on the roof. This would not be possible with one in a doorway, and which also sounds like something to injure yourself on.

Others may have a different view, of course.

Note if it's a genuine tug style boat with a boatman's cabin, with a range, the positioning of the chimney may to some extent determine what climbing is possible on the left hand side.

• 3 years later...

Ones on the exterior of the boat can be tapped into the steelwork of the cabin-sides.

That is a very secure arrangement.

Whether you can put one as effectively within the hatches must surely be determined by whether there is anything strong enough to anchor it to. Many boats would't have structure there to support a person.

I often use ours, (on the cabin-sides), to get on and off lock-sides without actually standing on the roof. This would not be possible with one in a doorway, and which also sounds like something to injure yourself on.

Others may have a different view, of course.

Note if it's a genuine tug style boat with a boatman's cabin, with a range, the positioning of the chimney may to some extent determine what climbing is possible on the left hand side.

Self-tapping screws or bolt through? My vote may depend on your answer.

Folding footsteps are not expensive.

I fitted 4, one on each corner of the cabin so I can get up or down wherever I am.

5mm stainless steel set screws drilled and tapped into the 5mm steel cabin sides. I hate self tappers for anything except fixing to tin.

The ones we have on the cabin exterior are into tapped holes, (our cabin-sides being 5mm).

Bolting right through might be better, if you had easy access to the other side, (insulated and panelled in our case).

I don't think I'd want to rely on self-tappers, but then I'm cautious and not particularly featherweight.

Have I blown my vote, or should I have taken as long to answer the question as you have to ask it ? :rolleyes:

Confession time - it was months before I realised what these darn things were for on the cabin sides of narrowboats, folded up I had them down as some kind of gizmo to lash something to (Don't ask me what).

It was only when sharing a lock with a single hander one day and he flipped it down to climb on the roof that I twigged... :blush:

high-quality-316-stainless-steel-folding-cabin-side-step-[2]-189-p.jpg

high-quality-316-stainless-steel-folding-cabin-side-step-189-p.jpg

Edited by MJG

5mm Stainless set screws into tapped holes in the 5mm cabin sides is what we have holding or folding steps onto our boat. They have put up with my weight for years without complaint. They are also very useful for hanging side fenders when moored up.

Edited by David Schweizer

Confession time - it was months before I realised what these darn things were for on the cabin sides of narrowboats, folded up I had them down as some kind of gizmo to lash something to (Don't ask me what).

It was only when sharing a lock with a single hander one day and he flipped it down to climb on the roof that I twigged... :blush:

:lol::lol::lol:

Wonderful confession - - :cheers:

You are not alone.

It was about a month before a visiting friend pointed mine out to me

I dont use it though. I just put a hand on either side of the slidehatch & boost myself up that way.

This used to require a bit of a jump & i could only just make it but after 2 1/2 years of single handing i can do it easily & dont need to jump any more.

No bingo-wings on me!

You are not alone.

It was about a month before a visiting friend pointed mine out to me

I dont use it though. I just put a hand on either side of the slidehatch & boost myself up that way.

This used to require a bit of a jump & i could only just make it but after 2 1/2 years of single handing i can do it easily & dont need to jump any more.

No bingo-wings on me!

I on the other hand could definitely do with them - me climbing on the roof with out a step is not a pretty sight...