Padlocks that don't rust

northcave

Featured Posts

If you're going to use a padlock that's visible and accessible these are pretty good, all S/S and difficult to get bolt croppers on to, and even if you could they would need to be big bolt croppers to break that shackle. Remember though a padlock is only as good as the hasp you use it on.

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatal...e_Padlocks.html

We'll be fitting a steel lock box which will be wleded to the door and cover the padlock, unless you're an expert in lockpicking the only way to break in would be using oxy/acetylene or a big disc cutter.

The lock box is like used on steel shipping containers, but will be much smaller for the boat doors.

http://www.containersforsale.co.uk/lockboxes.html

Anything can be broken into, but if it looks difficult to do so, then they'll leave well alone.

The average padlocks you get from Jo Blogs' hardware store are crap..

I have forgotten how many times I have been called to "assist" with a Padlock when the owner has last their key. Only the other weekend it took 3 blows to completely destory a brand new Padlock from one of the DIY/House/homeware chains (starting with W)...

A bit crazy really, when you think about it... how many boats have you walked passed which are chained up but have left spare mooring pins and their lump hammer out in plain view?

<Snip<

A bit crazy really, when you think about it... how many boats have you walked passed which are chained up but have left spare mooring pins and their lump hammer out in plain view?

None that I can think of !

Tim

I've just bought small boat and wondered if anyone has any ideas on the best types of padlocks to use? I know some that claim to be waterproof fall apart with a bit of water on them.

Would something like these padlocks suffice?

1199878938_LSweatherproof_PO_S.jpg

Cheers!!

It depends on the other possible means of entry to the boat. Why fit an expensive lock if the crim can just get in some other way, like breaking a window? The lock on our boat is sold by the Lockshop Warehouse at £12 and it will resist some heavy duty tools. We also have portholes that are too small to get anything but a toddler through but the houdini hatch and the double glazed windows at the front could be broken fairly easily with a wrecking bar or a lump hammer.

Stewart

Was about to say what Stonker just said. I've always used padlocks from the pound shop; people have told me that they're no good on many occasions but I still think a theif would break in through a window than try and break the padlock.

The padlock's there to discourage opportunistic thieves, but if they're determined, they're gonna get in no matter what I do, short of welding mesh over the windows!

It depends on the other possible means of entry to the boat. Why fit an expensive lock if the crim can just get in some other way, like breaking a window?

While the evils tend not to enter through broken windows, they will have no problems in breaking a small window such as those in many bow doors if it means that they can just reach in and open an interior bolt to gain access. As others have said - don't leave tools or other implements lying about that they can use to break in and moor up near other boats if you can.

Edited by blackrose

While the evils tend not to enter through broken windows, they will have no problems in breaking a small window such as those in many bow doors if it means that they can just reach in and open an interior bolt to gain access. As others have said - don't leave tools or other implements lying about that they can use to break in and moor up near other boats if you can.

i agree with the bit about leaving hammers about - my mum's boat got a broken window because she left a hammer outside on the deck. just tw*ts, nothing stolen but it could have been worse. the problem i have with padlocks are these: 1. if there are padlocks on doors nobody is at home, its obvious, like a big notice saying 'we're not here', this could be seen as an invitation to robbers. 2. if padlocks are used at both ends of a canal boat it is all too easy to not bother unlocking the stern doors, for example, when on board. this removes a potentially important escape route, whereas internal locking systems make it possible to get out...

I used two paddlocks like that on my boat. After being locked for about 8 weeks one was so baddly corroded it would not unlock. Ok this was on a boat in a sea harbour but I guess the same would happen just take longer on a non sea boat.

Justme

i agree with the bit about leaving hammers about - my mum's boat got a broken window because she left a hammer outside on the deck. just tw*ts, nothing stolen but it could have been worse. the problem i have with padlocks are these: 1. if there are padlocks on doors nobody is at home, its obvious, like a big notice saying 'we're not here', this could be seen as an invitation to robbers. 2. if padlocks are used at both ends of a canal boat it is all too easy to not bother unlocking the stern doors, for example, when on board. this removes a potentially important escape route, whereas internal locking systems make it possible to get out...

It's true that padlocks advertise the fact that nobody's home, but internal locking systems are not always practical. In any case it's not difficult for a burglar to establish whether someone is in or out - a knock and a ready excuse usually does it. Professional burglars tend to break into houses where potential pickings are greatest, whereas most boat break-ins are carried out by opportunists. So, if you must advertise that nobody's home - advertise it loudly - use meaty padlocks & hasps.

The fire escape route is important. If you don't have side hatches then both bow & stern doors should be exits when you're onoard, not just one or the other. Many internally locking side doors (as opposed to side hatches with a top door), just use small brass bolts mounted into the wooden lining to lock them - a big screwdriver used as a crowbar from the outside would rip most of these bolts out of the wood. However, whatever you do, don't padlock side doors from the outside - I've just seen this on a couple of boats I passed! :lol:

I used two paddlocks like that on my boat. After being locked for about 8 weeks one was so baddly corroded it would not unlock. Ok this was on a boat in a sea harbour but I guess the same would happen just take longer on a non sea boat.

Justme

Got to keep them lubricated - bit of spray lube inside a couple of times a year. Even so called 'stainless' locks may not be stainless internally.

Edited by blackrose