CRICK BOAT SHOW HAS BEEN CLOSED EARLY

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

There is no truth in the rumour that members of the Canal World Discussion Forum forced the early closure because they drank all the beer at the 'Banter' on Sunday . . .

I thought it was because Bones decided not to go ;)

That just about sums up the people boating, whilst holding down solar panels and turning round (voluntarily?) ;)

The organisers of the Crick Boat Show are a bunch of spineless gutless whimps, for god sake are you inland boating people such

a bunch of softies - obviously there is no comparison between yourselves & the real salty sea folk who go out on the sea.

I'm finnished with the narrow boat scene - instead, I'll get a fishing boat & sail out of Tenby.

Narrowboat softies!

I thought it was because Bones decided not to go :)

This is a more likely explanation - in these (so called) high winds, Jane and I managed to navigate our boat from Crick, leaving at about midday, to Marston Doles on the South Oxford summit level, where we now are. That's a total of 20 miles and 22 locks - obviously nobody told 'Alnwick' about the danger from high winds! ;)

This is a more likely explanation - in these (so called) high winds, Jane and I managed to navigate our boat from Crick, leaving at about midday, to Marston Doles on the South Oxford summit level, where we now are. That's a total of 20 miles and 22 locks - obviously nobody told 'Alnwick' about the danger from high winds! ;)

Alnwick dredges its own channel - we get blown onto the dredgings!

On my trip today I saw a 57' boat blown sideways onto the mud in front of me by a gust of wind. He couldn't get away from the bank because of the wind. I managed to tow the bow off with my boat and happy cruising was resumed.

Happy as one can be in horizontal rain and a stiff breeze!

Alnwick dredges its own channel - we get blown onto the dredgings!

On my trip today I saw a 57' boat blown sideways onto the mud in front of me by a gust of wind. He couldn't get away from the bank because of the wind. I managed to tow the bow off with my boat and happy cruising was resumed.

Happy as one can be in horizontal rain and a stiff breeze!

We saw some pretty strange things too! Nevertheless, our trip from Crick to Marston Doles was an interesting experience and for the first time, I realised that there are two advantages in having a heavy boat - the first is that you can have plenty of headroom - now, we know the second: when lots of people are being blown all over the place, 'Alnwick' just plods along in the general direction that you point it - it may not be fast but it gets there!

Having said that, the mud on the Leicester Arm of the GU is pretty bad - we know the Leicester line well and have always found that unless we stay in the middle, the mud slows us right down and causes excessive fuel consumption.

After all that, our trip back to Cropredy today could not have been more pleasant. Despite the forecast of more rain, we have been sat out on the front deck watching the sun go down - we could have been in a different country to Crick on Monday! :(

After all that, our trip back to Cropredy today could not have been more pleasant. Despite the forecast of more rain, we have been sat out on the front deck watching the sun go down - we could have been in a different country to Crick on Monday! :(

Really nice here this evening - first night without a fire for while too. However, there's the first ominous rumbles of thunder just starting so I guess it'll be rain before long again.

Edited by wrigglefingers

The organisers of the Crick Boat Show are a bunch of spineless gutless whimps, for god sake are you inland boating people sucha bunch of softies - obviously there is no comparison between yourselves & the real salty sea folk who go out on the sea.        I'm finnished with the narrow boat scene - instead, I'll get a fishing boat & sail out of Tenby.                                                        Narrowboat softies!
Before 09.00 on Monday a large heavy duty "market stall" type stand was blown over and down the bank towards the marina. The aluminium spars must have been a good 2.5 inches in diameter - they looked like scaffold poles.Very shortly before 10.00 one of the long banners mounted on a "fishing pole" on the Cobb cookers stand snapped and fell across the front of that stand and two others. One of the "side extensions" on a catering unit blew off and those are heavy. I had a tripod speaker stand with the legs splayed wide to about a meter diameter blew over three times and it was only just over a meter tall.One of the "garden" type gazebos on a boat builders plot was being blown so far over it was only about 3 feet tall in the gusts when I walked into the show at about 08.00.Unless you were there and witnessed what was going on I do not feel you should make such comments. When the RCR staff arrived at about 09.30 I told them I thought the organisers would have to close the show.

I have just seen this - http://www.rugbytoday.co.uk/news/PICTURE-S...Show.2911914.jp -

People in a closed show watching a display, and leaving a closed ale tent to watch - ooops

Funny that a show open for 66% of the time it was meant to be is an unqualified success, as that report would have s believe. Were there really aerobatics on Monday? Interestingly, the article was last updated tomorrow- maybe they're in a parallel universe!

Before 09.00 on Monday a large heavy duty "market stall" type stand was blown over and down the bank towards the marina. The aluminium spars must have been a good 2.5 inches in diameter - they looked like scaffold poles.Very shortly before 10.00 one of the long banners mounted on a "fishing pole" on the Cobb cookers stand snapped and fell across the front of that stand and two others. One of the "side extensions" on a catering unit blew off and those are heavy. I had a tripod speaker stand with the legs splayed wide to about a meter diameter blew over three times and it was only just over a meter tall.One of the "garden" type gazebos on a boat builders plot was being blown so far over it was only about 3 feet tall in the gusts when I walked into the show at about 08.00.Unless you were there and witnessed what was going on I do not feel you should make such comments. When the RCR staff arrived at about 09.30 I told them I thought the organisers would have to close the show.

Tony, Grasshopper chose well in attending on saturday.......really enjoyed your talk on batts.......then the lure of the Hog roast was just too much....sorry :(

I was there Mr Brooks - arrived at 0800hrs - came up from West Wales that morning - Health & Safety going to the extremes if you ask me!

They should have made an announcement on Saturday - they new what the weather conditions were going to be wet & windy on Sunday & Monday, there were people coming from throughout the UK. I spoke to a couple from Cornwall that morning were who really p%^&"d off like me.

The organisers of the Crick Boat Show are a bunch of spineless gutless whimps, for god sake are you inland boating people such

a bunch of softies - obviously there is no comparison between yourselves & the real salty sea folk who go out on the sea.

I'm finnished with the narrow boat scene - instead, I'll get a fishing boat & sail out of Tenby.

Narrowboat softies!

Well I sat on my lifeboat for the weekend with no likelihood of going out to sea (and no'one else seemed willing to prove you right, either) so the comparison seems a bit tenuous.

Funny that a show open for 66% of the time it was meant to be is an unqualified success, as that report would have s believe. Were there really aerobatics on Monday? Interestingly, the article was last updated tomorrow- maybe they're in a parallel universe!

Call me a suspicious whatsit if you wish, but I am pretty certain that at least some of those photos were from last year!

Take the first photo - appears to me to show the pair of boats selling fenders and the like that wasn't there this year, and also looks to have been taken from the footbridge that wasn't there either! Another shot shows 'Sculptor' and I don't remember seeing that this year either!

Peter

As reported in another thread. That article WAS a report on the 2007 show.

Tony