Most Beautiful Canal in the UK

Bones

Featured Posts

Oh dear... I don't think I like locks AT ALL... I might have to make friends with people that do! I will look up the peak forest... the very fact it has 'peaks' in the title suggests it might be gorgeous too...

Hi Bones.

The Upper Peak Forest Canal which most people refer to, ironically does not have any locks at all, the Lower Peak has the Marple flight, 16 fairly tough locks with no pub.

The word 'Peak' in this context is in fact an old English word for an area of land, nothing to do with hills at all.

Hi Bones.

The Upper Peak Forest Canal which most people refer to, ironically does not have any locks at all, the Lower Peak has the Marple flight, 16 fairly tough locks with no pub.

The word 'Peak' in this context is in fact an old English word for an area of land, nothing to do with hills at all.

From what I've seen on th otherwise terrible Locks and Quays, the HNC, Rochdale and Peak Forest are all a bit special, but I've not been on any of them. I have been on the L&L though, we hired a boat from Snaygil many moons ago, it was very nice.

The Aylesbury Arm as you descend from the staircase lock all the way to around Lock 12 has to be one of the most beautiful canals in the UK in my opinion. Stunning views, very peaceful and well worth a visit. Always a warm welcome in the basin from the Aylesbury Canal Society as well.

D

Agreed!

I can't believe how it manages to stay so rural, given the area it's in.

Not too many views of rolling hills though......

Oh dear... I don't think I like locks AT ALL... I might have to make friends with people that do!

I'll be your friend if ever you venture up or down the Grand Union!

I love locking, but never seem to be allowed loose with a windlass on my own boat, as everybody else likes locking too.

I'm usually relegated to "driving", so happy to lock wheel for anybody passing through!

Oh dear... I don't think I like locks AT ALL... I might have to make friends with people that do! I will look up the peak forest... the very fact it has 'peaks' in the title suggests it might be gorgeous too...

So you need a canal surrounded by mountains but with no locks!

This is a tricky one indeed

My recommendation would be to travel between Bosley top lock on the Macclesfield and Bugsworth Basin on the Peak Forest, and back, slowly. As this is one of the higher levels you get good hill scenery throughout. I hesitate to call them mountains. but the Peak District hills are visible. You could hire from Peak Forest Cruisers - I don't have experience with them, but they're in a good location. This would be a very pleasant trip. You can also visit Whaley Bridge

Could be the Mon and Brec - that only has a few locks and winds it way through some mountainous scenery - and the locks are narrow.

The Huddersfield Narrow has about 90 locks and they're deep! You know you're heading up into the mountains and eventually under them. It goes through a few towns along the way though - Stalybridge and Uppermill near Saddleworth on the western side. Eastern side Marsden and 'Slawit to name a couple!

I think it was a narrow canal, and all I remember is a boat in water with hills rising up either side. It was frightfully picturesque, and it reminded me of the bit past glenfinnin (golly, spelling really is awry) and past ben nevis... but in england....

Surely that doesn't sound like ALL the canals! Dry stone walling is probably a good start, and the hills were like mountains. Rather like that stretch through castleton behind the caves...

It's not the photo with the Stepfordesque family, having a picnic, with their boat moored up, below them, is it?

I saw a picture sometime, can't remember where, but there was a canal with hills on either side... anyone know which one?

It occured to me that there are some very beautiful canals with some equally outstanding waterways so I wonder which ones are the most scenic and isolated and gorgeously knee bendingly beautifully wonderful?

havent you considered Boseley? Its certainly picturesque and its perspective is far more hilly those on other pretty canals. It certainly looks like there are hills on both sides at Boseley when viewed in certain directions

Leeds Liverpool between Gargrave and Greenberfield - not so much hills rising at each side as being on top the hill - God's Country!

Couldn't agree more. We sailed it in 2005 and we living beside it by 2006.

It still amazes me the sheer no. who rate the Llangollen as the no.1 must do canal. The L&L is stunning and incredibly quiet.

Mind you, if it was anywhere near as busy as the Llan-g we would run out of water by June.

Hi Bones

I wonder if you mean the rochdale canal ? if you type in Rochdale Canal Virtual Tour, then take the tour Hebden bridge

to Todmorden you will see the pictures, although they are not the best pictures (quality wise they're still gorgeous)

We stayed at hebden bridge in February this year and walked this leg of the canal it was breathtaking, but I took my video camera and not

my camera so I dont have my own pictures, but this could be the one you mean. Any prizes for the correct guesses ?

Hi Bones

I wonder if you mean the rochdale canal ? if you type in Rochdale Canal Virtual Tour, then take the tour Hebden bridge

to Todmorden you will see the pictures, although they are not the best pictures (quality wise they're still gorgeous)

We stayed at hebden bridge in February this year and walked this leg of the canal it was breathtaking, but I took my video camera and not

my camera so I dont have my own pictures, but this could be the one you mean. Any prizes for the correct guesses ?

I am liking the sound of the Rochdale. I wish I knew where I saw the original picture...!

AS for the croc... that makes it even MORE appealing... I dont have one of those on my mantle piece... YET!

Hi Bones.

No pub? Isn't the Ring o' Bells at the top?

The Huddersfield Narrow has about 90 locks and they're deep! You know you're heading up into the mountains and eventually under them. It goes through a few towns along the way though - Stalybridge and Uppermill near Saddleworth on the western side. Eastern side Marsden and 'Slawit to name a couple!

Seventy-four. In nineteen miles. I had some gorgeous photos (well, I've still got them) but I accidentally deleted them from the website. No, I'm not uploading them again.

Edited by WarriorWoman

Seventy-four. In nineteen miles. I had some gorgeous photos (well, I've still got them) but I accidentally deleted them from the website. No, I'm not uploading them again.

Must have been something else then, I'm sure there's one of the transpennine waterways with about 90 locks on it - possibly the Rochdale or L&L?

With 16 quite heavy locks of the Marple flight (nothing wrong with them but they are deep) you really need the pub to be half-way up the flight.. There is of course the Ring o' Bells at the top along with several other perhaps better ones in the pleasant town..

The Rochdale canal is 32 miles in length with 91 locks (there used to be 92 but during restoration locks 3 & 4 in Sowerby Bridge became one very deep one).

I love locking, but never seem to be allowed loose with a windlass on my own boat, as everybody else likes locking too.

I'm usually relegated to "driving", so happy to lock wheel for anybody passing through!

Great! I'm moving from the Grove near Watford up to Berko and possibly the Tring summit (once my engine is fixed).

I'll lend you a bicycle & a windlass and make you some sarnies and cups of tea. ;)

Great! I'm moving from the Grove near Watford up to Berko and possibly the Tring summit (once my engine is fixed).

I'll lend you a bicycle & a windlass and make you some sarnies and cups of tea. ;)

Mike,

I'd love to, (and actually have both my own bike and windlass!).

However, I don't think the timing will work, as we should ourselves be out on our travels in the next day or so.

I suspect we will pass you somewhere, as we should be coming south, unless plans change, (a few things to fix before we leave).

No name on the boat at the moment, but if you see a largely green 50 foot boat, with dark red panels, roughly painted and no coachline (yet), then that may be us, (or may not, as I've seen at least one other matching that description !).

We'll look out for you - your boat definitely a lot more distinctive than ours!

Good luck with resolving the engine, (and alternator controller) problem(s).

Alan

Mike,

I'd love to, (and actually have both my own bike and windlass!).

However, I don't think the timing will work, as we should ourselves be out on our travels in the next day or so.

I suspect we will pass you somewhere, as we should be coming south, unless plans change, (a few things to fix before we leave).

No name on the boat at the moment, but if you see a largely green 50 foot boat, with dark red panels, roughly painted and no coachline (yet), then that may be us, (or may not, as I've seen at least one other matching that description !).

We'll look out for you - your boat definitely a lot more distinctive than ours!

Good luck with resolving the engine, (and alternator controller) problem(s).

Alan

Thanks, if you see me on the move while you're coming down leave those lock gates open for me!

Edited by blackrose